• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Augie

Ultimate Member
    Sep 30, 2007
    Central MD
    New Savage MKII TR [Update Range Report]

Been wanting a 22 for some cheap plinking and I had a scope and rings laying around that needed a rifle to go on. Have read a lot of good on the Savage TR and happened to be in Dick's picking up some ammo and spied one on the rack.
    It's a little different as it has a camo paint job, decent looking rifle with a solid feel to it. Will get it out to the AGC Sat to sight it in and start messing with several types of ammo to find the best. Will most likely give a try at bedding it also.
    DSCN0780.jpg

DSCN0783.jpg

DSCN0786.jpg

Last edited:

Flipz

Ultimate Member
    Mar 11, 2010
    Is that the Boyd's Tacticool stock?

Im pretty sure the stock above is made by Boyd's for Savage. BUT, one thing Ive noticed is that the comb where your cheek weld would be is a little different from a Boyd's Tacticool. You can see that the comb on Augie's rifle above is completely straight from front to back, as with all the stocks that come on the TR model Savage's. The Tacticool stock I got straight from Boyds is a little different. It has a portion of the rear of the comb removed which is the same as all the Tacticool's, see below. Thats the only difference I can see between the 2 stocks. Otherwise they are identical as far as I can tell. Even the bottom metal pieces(Trigger Guard, Magazine Plate) and screws are identical. I know this because I ordered the bottom metal and screws for my Tacticool stock straight from Savage. They sent me the parts I needed based on the TR model's stock and assured me they would fit my Boyd's Tacticool perfectly, which they did.

IMAG0105.jpg

Nov 14, 2010
    Kingsville, MD
    Been wanting a 22 for some cheap plinking and I had a scope and rings laying around that needed a rifle to go on. Have read a lot of good on the Savage TR and happened to be in Dick's picking up some ammo and spied one on the rack.
    It's a little different as it has a camo paint job, decent looking rifle with a solid feel to it. Will get it out to the AGC Sat to sight it in and start messing with several types of ammo to find the best. Will most likely give a try at bedding it also.

I'm not usually a fan of camo stocks, but I like that one. I've been putting off getting that model but with the threaded barrel. How do you like the accutrigger?

Augie

Ultimate Member
    Sep 30, 2007
    Central MD
    Yup, it's the Boyd's stock, looks like Savage paints them different for some large retailers. Cabelas carries this model also but painted green for them.
    Shaakes, I've always liked the Accutrigger, have one on my 308 FTR and I think they are one of the better triggers out of the box. I may adjust this one a little lighter but it's not bad as is.

Augie

Ultimate Member
    Sep 30, 2007
    Central MD
    Got it out to the range today and came away very impressed with the rifle right out of the box. Functioned perfectly and accuracy was excellent, as I get better and find the ammo this gun likes it will be a tack driver.
    The top target was 50 shots at 50 yds, the bottom was the first 2 groups I fired at 25 yds getting it on paper,center group is 20 shots.
    Also got to meet up with some fellow forum and AGC members and shot some reactive targets at 100 yds, managed to fit golf balls at 100 with this setup.
    The Konus scope I put on it al;so performed well, optics are very clear and it will focus down to 25 yds was very easy to see where the bullet was hitting at 100.

Attachments

• DSCN0790.jpg
      DSCN0790.jpg
      43.5 KB · Views: 351
    • DSCN0791.jpg
      DSCN0791.jpg
      48.8 KB · Views: 361

msm

Oct 31, 2011
    Thinking about getting a GL if I can find one at the Frederick show. Good choice I am going to assume then?

NY Transplant

Wabbit Season/Duck Season
    Apr 2, 2010
    Westminster, MD
    I'm looking to get a lefty one next year. I have a Savage 93 GL 22 Magnum that's a tack driver. I really like the Savage line. I even have a Savage 116 FLSS in 30-06 that's also a tack driver.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Pureblood

Latest threads

Top Bottom