• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jmurman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 21, 2007
    Perry Hall
    Im considering a new rifle for 2017.

I'd like either a .17 or a .22wmr bolt action,

Any thoughts recommendations or what to look out for?

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City
    Im considering a new rifle for 2017.

I'd like either a .17 or a .22wmr bolt action,

Any thoughts recommendations or what to look out for?

I'd seriously consider the CZ Model 455, either American or Varmint, or the previous Model 452 if you come across one. Both are niche cartridges in my opinion, so chambering (to me) would depend on what you primarily want to do with your rifle.

I like both cartridges, but for different reasons. If you're primarily shooting paper, and like really tight grouping rimfire capability, I'd personally opt for either rifle in 17HMR. I found that cartridge in my 455 to be flat out amazing. It literally redefined for me what I had previously thought rimfire to be capable of.

You can also buy and swap barrels with the 455 between 22LR, 22WMR and 17 HMR. Though that feature doesn't really appeal to me, the feature exists. Me, I bought a second 455 instead, having been so impressed with the 17. My second 455 was in 22LR. Both of mine are the heavier Varmint model. Again, barrel weight too is about personal preference, and about what see yourself wanting to do with it. I own 22 WMR in a Ruger I bought years ago.

Definitely a fan of the 455. Good luck with your search!

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    Tough to beat Ruger American for the price. Whichever flavor you prefer. I like my 22LR variant.

Jmurman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 21, 2007
    Perry Hall
    My BIL has a CZ 455 in the manlicher style stick and .22wmr. I really like that look and also the performance. He told me that if there is any wind, that will play with the .17 due to the lightness of the round.

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City
    My BIL has a CZ 455 in the manlicher style stick and .22wmr. I really like that look and also the performance. He told me that if there is any wind, that will play with the .17 due to the lightness of the round.

To a point, there's an element of correctness in that statement. But that's not to say that wind doesn't play with 22WMR. Truth is that wind plays with all projectiles in flight, all of the time.

Your BIL might be surprised to see how 17HMR and 22WMR compare with regard to wind drift. Many folks are.

Wind drift is but one measure of utility. No less, no more. Again, with regard to which cartridge is "better", much depends on what you're looking for as being a better choice for you overall. That is, what factors matter most to you? How flat it shoots? How hard it hits? And at what point do you really want a rimfire at all? Or do your requirements dictate a centerfire, where we can then repeat the exact same exercise with centerfire cartridges?

Figuring out regarding what works...for you and your purpose and requirements...is a large part of the fun! Might even decide you "need" more than one! :)

http://www.shooterscalculator.com/ballistic-trajectory-chart.php?t=f630255c

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Personally I'd look at a Ruger American rimfire. I am biased though as that is what I am looking at, though in 22lr first.

That new Ruger rimfire American target rifle looks sweet. Maybe when I get a 22wmr l consider getting one of those.

17hmr is going to be a flatter shooting within 100yds than 22wmr. Actually out to about 150yds IIRC before 22wmr catches up. I think one thing to consider is what you want it for. Target shooting is got 17hmr all the way. Varmit/small game within 150/200yds, 17hmr. A bit bigger game and especially at longer distances, 22wmr. At 200yds a 40gr 22wmr has something like 25% more energy plus a much larger wound channel than 17hmr and 17hmr is basically only made in varmit rounds. Not something I'd want to be shooting a big fox at 200yds with, let alone a coyote (even at much closer ranges).

Brent

#2ALivesMatter
    Nov 22, 2013
    Amongst the Deplorables, SC.
    I'd seriously consider the CZ Model 455, either American or Varmint, or the previous Model 452 if you come across one. Both are niche cartridges in my opinion, so chambering (to me) would depend on what you primarily want to do with your rifle.

I like both cartridges, but for different reasons. If you're primarily shooting paper, and like really tight grouping rimfire capability, I'd personally opt for either rifle in 17HMR. I found that cartridge in my 455 to be flat out amazing. It literally redefined for me what I had previously thought rimfire to be capable of.

You can also buy and swap barrels with the 455 between 22LR, 22WMR and 17 HMR. Though that feature doesn't really appeal to me, the feature exists. Me, I bought a second 455 instead, having been so impressed with the 17. My second 455 was in 22LR. Both of mine are the heavier Varmint model. Again, barrel weight too is about personal preference, and about what see yourself wanting to do with it. I own 22 WMR in a Ruger I bought years ago.

Definitely a fan of the 455. Good luck with your search!

+1
    I am a cz fan big time. Both the 455 and 452 variants will shoot better than any of us. Terrific guns and easy to work on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    alfontso

Latest threads

Top Bottom