• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • weix11

Jun 10, 2013
    Hey Everyone,

I am going to be living in Maryland for about a year. I just had a few questions I wanted to ask you guys. I'm from California, and I was wondering if it's legal to bring in some firearms I have from that state? I have 2 bolt action rifles, a pump action shotgun, and an AR-15. The AR-15, I think should be legal according to the new law, the only evil feature it has is the flash hider, other than that, no grenade launcher, and no folding stock. No standard cap. mags either, all mine are 10 rounds.

Also, I was wondering what you'd need to purchase a firearm in Maryland? Correct me if I'm wrong, but I would need a Maryland driver's license correct? So how long would it take to get one? How do I become a resident of the state? Is getting a regulated firearm harder than a non-regulated firearm?

I plan on moving here in about a month. Believe me, California gun laws are worse when it comes to "assault weapons." But a handgun is much easier to obtain, we only wait 10 days.

Thanks, your responses are appreciated

Last edited:

hodgepodge

Senior Member (Gold)
    Sep 3, 2009
    Arnold, MD
    It is legal to bring those guns into MD, now.

After 1 October, it will be illegal to bring in the AR-15. They are bad, unless they are the HBAR configuration.

Buying a regulated firearm (handgun or long gun (evil assault type weapons)) requires a state training course, available online, and a few forms. Waiting period is 8 days to 100 days.

After 1 October, you will require a 4 hour course, a license and fingerprints.

You need to be a resident; not sure if you need a drivers license.

Key question: When are you moving?

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    Hey Everyone,

I am going to be living in Maryland for about a year. I just had a few questions I wanted to ask you guys. I'm from California, and I was wondering if it's legal to bring in some firearms I have from that state? I have 2 bolt action rifles, a pump action shotgun, and an AR-15. The AR-15, I think should be legal according to the new law, the only evil feature it has is the flash hider, other than that, no grenade launcher, and no folding stock. No standard cap. mags either, all mine are 10 rounds.

Also, I was wondering what you'd need to purchase a firearm in Maryland? Correct me if I'm wrong, but I would need a Maryland driver's license correct? So how long would it take to get one? How do I become a resident of the state? Is getting a regulated firearm harder than a non-regulated firearm?

Turn right around and go back from which you came.

A hellish lifestyle awaits you here.

Do not pass go-Do not collect 200 dolla.

Leave now!!! :D

Post Script: Smiley face added to inticate I was joking with the new guy. As in the gun laws really suck in Maryland. Welcome to Maryland new guy. It really is a nice state. You'll love it here. It would appear my levity was misunderstood.

Last edited:

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA

Attachments

• MSI welcome msg.jpg
      MSI welcome msg.jpg
      40.9 KB · Views: 229

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    Hey Everyone,

One thing you can do right now is take the safety class.
    www.mdgunsafety.com

Fill it out with your new MD address and follow the instructions that are listed on it, so that MSP knows you took the course.

You will need to turn over your CA drivers license at the MD MVA and exchange it for a MD license. If you need proof of residency, you can use a cell phone/power/water bill that is sent to your address here in MD.

Bring all of your guns to MD, because you owned the AR before 10/1. If you bring it into the state after 10/1 it will have to be registered with MSP.

If possible, find a place in either PA, VA, or WV to move to, because the restrictions on firearms in those states will be like nothing compared to California. Also the taxes are lower in those states too.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    It is legal to bring those guns into MD, now.

After 1 October, it will be illegal to bring in the AR-15. They are bad, unless they are the HBAR configuration.

Buying a regulated firearm (handgun or long gun (evil assault type weapons)) requires a state training course, available online, and a few forms. Waiting period is 8 days to 100 days.

After 1 October, you will require a 4 hour course, a license and fingerprints.

You need to be a resident; not sure if you need a drivers license.

Key question: When are you moving?

All of the above is correct except the highlighted section. After Oct 1, you will have to register the AR and any other regulated/deemed banned firearm with MSP within 90 days.

swerv88

Apr 16, 2013
    May as well say 8-200 days. When I made my last purchase it was a 45 day wait. Over 50 days later and I don't expect to get it anytime soon. I'm hoping I'll have it in another month but seriously doubt it.

Doug S

Trufflehunter
    Jan 21, 2013
    IMO, though it's "different", I don't know if I'd qualify MD as any better or worse than CA...

abean4187

Ultimate Member
    Apr 16, 2013
    Give the guy a break people. He’s from California. Realistically, California<MD, I doubt he will notice much of a difference from one communist state to another.

Anyway, yes, if you purchased your firearms before Oct 1st 2013, you will be allowed to bring them to MD with you.

Also, if you are only going to be here for a year you should look into the need to change driver’s license and whatnot. I doubt you would have to set up permanent residence here is you are only planning on staying for a year. I lived in MD for like 1.5 years before I finally changed my residence.

smkranz

Certified Caveman
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 21, 2013
    Carroll County

You'll have 60 days to get a MD drivers' license. Pretty sure it is just a matter of going to an MVA office, taking a number, waiting, filling out the paperwork, turning in your old CA license (bring your birth certificate and orig. SS card if you have it, or refer to here: http://www.mva.maryland.gov/Driver-Services/Apply/new-to-Maryland.htm for the docs you'll need), sitting for a photo and taking the quickie vision exam. You will be issued a brand spanking new Maryland license on the spot.

BTW, the same applies to your vehicle registration. Maryland wants and needs your money.

bigdv

Ultimate Member
    May 17, 2010
    Calvert Co.
    Welcome to MD. If you want to buy a gun in MD I would buy it before Oct 1. From what I know you will be fine with the guns you already have. I would try to get here before the Oct 1 deadline if you can. I wont bore you with the anti MD bashing. I dont have much good to say about this state so I wont say anything at all. Good luck and welcome to the site!

bpm32

Nov 26, 2010
    IMO, though it's "different", I don't know if I'd qualify MD as any better or worse than CA...

California is definitely still worse (and getting worse-er), but at this point both are so bad we're quibbling.

At least we can all say we're not New Jersey.

trbon8r

Ultimate Member
    Welcome. We moved from southern CA a few years back. The politics are about the same between both states. As scary as it sounds the cost of living is actually cheaper here. The trees and water views are nice, but the weather not so much. The one universal truth you will find is that there is no such thing as good Mexican food here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    ObsidianCC

Latest threads

Top Bottom