• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Reaux

Apr 22, 2013
    Hagerstown , Maryland
    Hi i am in the us army shot plenty of guns rifles and handguns but none of them were mine me and my wife just purchased a pk380 to take out to the range and as a starter home defense weapon my goal is to get her to enjoy shooting as much as i do she has shot before but mostly weapons she did not feel comfortable with i was looking to find some pointers as to what to do to introduce her the best way possible thanks.

chiefstrum

Jul 17, 2009
    Garrett County
    I had a similar situation with my wife. I started her with a ruger 10/22 until she got used to pulling the trigger and holding still and all that. Then we moved to a .243 rifle so she could feel some recoil but not too bad. Then we went to a full size 9mm and ultimately to a compact 9mm. I really think progressing her up through recoil and report helped her develop. She is 5'2" 100lbs but comfortably shoots my 7mm WBY mag, 12ga turkey loads, and 150gr blackpowder charges.

I have since introduced several other ladies to shooting and the biggest thing I see whether rifle, shotgun, or pistol is that they want to lean back. If they shoot and are leaning back it makes the recoil much harder to deal with. Get her to lean in to the gun and teach her proper grip and she will be fine. Also, when I give a semi to a new shooter I always only put one round in it. I don't know what their reaction will be and I really don't want to find out with a live weapon :)

I dont know where you live but my wife and I love to shoot at Savage range.

Last edited:

Reaux

Apr 22, 2013
    Hagerstown , Maryland
    Thanks alot i will deff keep a look out when we go shooting for the leaning back thing i never would have thought about it and yea also the 1 round hahaha she has shot a 357 mag before but only 1 round she didnt like it

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    GD-3

Latest threads

Top Bottom