• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • smdub

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 14, 2012
    MoCo
    I bought a few of these a month or so ago w/ another order, so addl shipping wasn't much more. Agreed, prob doesn't make sense to ship one or two. But still the best price you'll find on new I think.

I also recently got 10 from sportsmans guide for ~$9 ea delivered but they are NOT new like the AIM ones are. Some light rust on the bottom and edges that I'll clean up and touch up w/ a rattle can. The best is labeled ".300 winchester mag match". Wonder what the military was using that for:innocent0

Engine4

Curmudgeon
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 30, 2012
    Can the MilSpec cans be easily locked? If not, can folks recommend a lockable case?

Can't remember what thread it was in, but someone posted a link a few weeks ago to locks that can be added to ammo cans.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    1) Bass Pro in Arundal Mills had metal GI ammo cans in stock last Saturday.

2) There is a company that makes a lock setup for GI ammo cans. I will see if I can find later.

LandinD

Apr 10, 2013
    Howard County
    those locks look pretty good, has anyone tried weatherstripping the plano ones to keep moisture out? seems like it could be simple to do and cost effective.

Broder

Jan 13, 2013
    $14.95 and $13 to ship???

I can go buy the same thing at Bass Pro for $20

The ones in Bass Pro are not MILSPEC cans. At least the ones sold at Arundel Mills are not MILSPEC. They have flimsy seals and are made of cheaply painted thin sheet metal. If you open them up you will see paint chipping off in a lot of the cans. A real surplus can that has been dragged all over Afghanistan and been beat to hell is still better than the Chinese knockoffs sold at Bass Pro. If the ones in the TS's link are really MILSPEC then they are going to be much better cans.

CSS

Nov 30, 2012
    The ones in Bass Pro are not MILSPEC cans. At least the ones sold at Arundel Mills are not MILSPEC. They have flimsy seals and are made of cheaply painted thin sheet metal. If you open them up you will see paint chipping off in a lot of the cans. A real surplus can that has been dragged all over Afghanistan and been beat to hell is still better than the Chinese knockoffs sold at Bass Pro. If the ones in the TS's link are really MILSPEC then they are going to be much better cans.

:thumbup:

chale127

Ultimate Member
    Nov 5, 2008
    Brooklyn, MD

and how many do you actually plan on purchasing from either vendor and doing this to to prove said claim?

5-inch/54

Aug 23, 2012
    Annapolis
    Can the MilSpec cans be easily locked? If not, can folks recommend a lockable case?
    Last week I bought a GI SAW Box from Army Surplus World to use as a box for transporting ammo. It was used but in very good shape although the gasket was a little dry.

You have to create your own way to lock these GI ammo boxes. Here is my way: There is a 7/16" hole in the locking plate. The box doen't have a hole but one can be drilled in it through the hole in the plate. I drilled a 3/8" hole and inserted a 3/8" x 3/4" clevis pin, which can be found at http://www.fastenal.com. I inserted the clevis pin thought the 2 holes from inside the box and put a small padlock (Master Lock No. 120D small brass padlock) through the hole at the end of the clevis pin. Although it is unnecessary for the locking function, I used a 3/8" neoprene fender washer inside the box to keep the paint from being scratched.

5-inch/54

Aug 23, 2012
    Annapolis
    Two more pointers for the Clevis pin lock: (1) When drilling the hole in the box, be sure to center it through the hole in the locking plate so that the hole centers line up when the plate is locked. If you don't, the pin will come through crooked and, if the hole centers are too far off, the pin might not go through both holes. (2) I found that the Clevis pin needs to be glued in. Otherwise, when you go to put the lock in the Clevis pin, you will push the pin back into the box. Glue (I used silicone rubber) holds the pin in place so you can put the lock through the pin. Silicone also maintains the integrity of the water tight aspect of the box.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    bara4033

Latest threads

Top Bottom