• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gunup

Jun 17, 2010
    Towson, MD.
    Hey what's going on everybody? I just joined up wanted to introduce myself to everyone. I'm also new to shooting guns. Just purchased my first 1 about a month ago. XDM 40 caliber, awesome gun love it. My next purchase will be a shotgun. Any recommendations will be greatly appreciated.

Patrick

MSI Executive Member
    Apr 26, 2009
    Calvert County
    Welcome aboard, Sir.

A Remington 870 is the venerable shotgun of the Americas. A million options there. Next is probably Mossberg. You cannot go wrong with either. I got two 870s in two gauges. Happy with both.

I think 20 ga. is great for home defense. 12 ga. great for hunting (although 20 is good here, too). The trick is controlling what you shoot.

Just remember that slug guns come with rifled barrels or smooth barrels. Slugs come rifled and not. Don't mix or confuse the two or you'll end up with a mess - in other words, don't put rifled slugs through a rifled barrel.

Bikebreath

R.I.P.
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 30, 2009
    in the bowels of Baltimore
    Welcome...been a handgun owner for one year next month.

I have the XDm 9mm.

I have 2 shotguns, both autos; cheap Charles Daly and a pawn shop Remington 1100.

There's a bunch of us shot trap/skeet north of Baltimore on Thurs.

mbz300sdl

Gone living free now!!!
    Apr 12, 2010
    South Carolina
    Welcome
    If you want a pump go with a Remington or Mossberg only reason I don't have either is I got an awesome deal on a Chinese made gun.

If you want a semi I started a thread asking about these just search under the shotguns section.

august1410

Marcas Registradas
    Apr 10, 2009
    New Bern, NC
    Skeet!? . . . nice, I def like to get into that. Sounds like fun. First I need to get my 12 ga.

The Thursday night gang is a great group of guys. Be sure to bring your sense of humor when you go. Most of the guys have an extra gun, so if you want to go, just reach out to them and someone will bring a gun for you to use.

When I used to go, I would bring three guns, just in case someone didn't have one.

gunup

Jun 17, 2010
    Towson, MD.
    The Thursday night gang is a great group of guys. Be sure to bring your sense of humor when you go. Most of the guys have an extra gun, so if you want to go, just reach out to them and someone will bring a gun for you to use.

When I used to go, I would bring three guns, just in case someone didn't have one.
    I'm def in . . . but first I need to get lit familiar with shooting a shotgun so I dont look like a dumb ass!!!!!

BlueHeeler

Ultimate Member
    Apr 28, 2010
    Washington, DC
    +1
    You cannot go wrong with a Remington 870 or Mossberg 500. Sure there are more fancy guns, but when it comes to solid reliability, reputation, and function there is no peer.

Plus with the 870 when you are watching television or a movie and there is a shotgun, more than likely, you can impress your friends by saying, “I have one of those.”;)

Welcome

august1410

Marcas Registradas
    Apr 10, 2009
    New Bern, NC
    I'm def in . . . but first I need to get lit familiar with shooting a shotgun so I dont look like a dumb ass!!!!!

With this group, you can't help but look like a dumbass. It's a group of dumbasses. Myself included :)

A shotty is simple, especially with skeet or trap. Load, point, shoot.

Go and watch the guys one night and then hang out for the meal after. If you are in Perry Hall, one of the places is a hop, skip and a jump from you. The other place is at Loch Raven.

For what it's worth, I shoot about 6 clay out of 50!

rouchna

Defund the ATF
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 25, 2009
    Virginia
    You will still look like a dumbass and definitely go with the Remington 870.

(He's a co-worker, I had to do it.)

august1410

Marcas Registradas
    Apr 10, 2009
    New Bern, NC
    You will still look like a dumbass and definitely go with the Remington 870.

(He's a co-worker, I had to do it.)

He's been here longer than an hour. He gets the same abuse the rest of us get. :lol2:

I second the 870. One of the reasons I don't have one is they are not too lefty friendly. My Mossy 500 is perfect for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom