• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Intarsiac

Jun 17, 2008
    Southern Maryland
    Hi, all,
    New member who has been lurking here about two weeks soaking up good information. My wife and I are new to handguns- I had only basic military watchstanding qualification experience with a handgun and she is a first time shooter. We bought a used 92FS from Maryland Small Arms Range (there are still a few left). It looks like it is in great shape and I put 105 rounds through it today with no problems at all. I have a .22LR conversion kit for it on order and am looking forward to putting a lot of cheaper .22 rounds through it and pursuing the NRA marksmanship (handgun) program. We want to check out the Myrtle Grove WMA outdoor range near LaPlata in a few weeks.

Does anyone know if the .22LR slide would be easier to rack than the 92FS slide? My wife has to struggle to get it racked.

Thanks!

capTIM

Carroll County Drunkard
    Apr 30, 2008
    Sykesville
    Welcome to the forum. There's a lot of knowlageable people here that can answer your question. To bad I'm not one of them.:sad20:

fivepointstar

Thank you MD-Goodbye
    Apr 28, 2008
    3rd Rock from the Sun
    I just want to welcome you to the group!!!

My recommendation regarding your wife and the slide is to practice with it without the magazine. I have a 92F and my wife is much smaller and not very experienced as well but she can get it. Try using different methods of gripping the slide. Not sure which you've tried but that might work.

Also there are few ladies here....I'm sure they can give you some good advice!

Welcome!

SCARCQB

Get Opp my rawn, Plick!
    Jun 25, 2008
    Undisclosed location
    Welcome fellow newbie!

The Beretta 92-22LR conversion kits are definitely a lot easier to rack than the original slide. These ( Beretta and Ceiner Kits) function via direct blowback and have much lighter recoil springs with no locking block to overcome.

Racking the slide feels like a Ruger 22/45 22LR. Practice dry firing with all safety precautions and the original slide in place. Dont dry fire with the 22 Kit. A friend broke mine doing this sometime ago.

Intarsiac

Jun 17, 2008
    Southern Maryland
    Thanks for the welcomes and quick replies. I'll have her try a Ruger 22/45 while we await the conversion kit backorder. It's supposedly coming from Italy to arrive in July.

trapture

Surplus Rifle Lover
    Apr 27, 2007
    Dundalk-Ish
    Welcome. Thats one issue I have with my CZ-USA 22lr conversion for my CZ-75, the 22lr slide is a pain in the anus. You really need to cock the hammer then take your fingers and pull back the 22lr slide.

She shouldn't have any problem with the .22 kit. the slides are lighter and the recaoil springs are only a couple of pounds. As far as servicability with the 9mm slide, there are techniques that she can use to manipulate the slide.

Welcome.

wlc

Ultimate Member
    Nov 13, 2006
    My recommendation is that if you bought the 92 for home defense you should put in a lot of practice with the rounds you will be using for self defense (i.e. 9mm)
    If the gun is too difficult for you wife to operate properly, you may want to look into a revolver for her. She should be 100% comfortable with what ever gun she will rely on for self defense.

HoChiWaWa

Ultimate Member
    Feb 27, 2007
    Montgomery Village
    My recommendation is that if you bought the 92 for home defense you should put in a lot of practice with the rounds you will be using for self defense (i.e. 9mm)
    If the gun is too difficult for you wife to operate properly, you may want to look into a revolver for her. She should be 100% comfortable with what ever gun she will rely on for self defense.

While true, working your way up is common practice. You can get comfortable with the firearm quicker using .22, then switch to target 9mm, finally be sure to test some nice defensive loads for any difference in recoil and to ensure your choice of defensive ammo feeds well.

During this time hopefully your wife will improve at racking the slide, it generally isn't that much weight, make sure she's getting a good grip over top of the whole slide and have her practice a lot, she'll get it.

Intarsiac

Jun 17, 2008
    Southern Maryland
    Thanks for the comments/advice. I'm looking at revolvers, also.
    The used 92FSs at MSAR were priced at around $385 with two mags. No stainless. Evidently they're excess to some government contract. I saw very little wear on the one I got, but I'm no expert.

wlc

Ultimate Member
    Nov 13, 2006
    oh yeah - welcome to the forum
    don't ever hesitate to ask any question you have.
    You will gets tons of honest answers but nobody will ever put you down for a question you asked.

JSW

Ultimate Member
    Feb 22, 2008
    Bryansville, Pa.
    have her try this with the 9mm if right handed hold the pistol grip as normal,grip the slide in her left hand hold tight-now angle the pistol slightly down and away from her-push with her right hand as to push the receiver into the slide holding the slide in place-when the receiver is all the way down let the slide go. working for my wife for the past 20+ yrs for all centerfire pistols

tigmaned

Feb 25, 2007
    Crofton
    funny when i bought my used 92fs at MSA i got mine for $350 and after i went to get it after the 10 wait they went up to $385.
    if i decide to sell one of my 22lr pistols i may get a ($199)Ciener 22lr conversion also. seems like a good deal and less costly way to pratice trigger pull ona centerfire gun without the cost.

Intarsiac

Jun 17, 2008
    Southern Maryland
    Thanks for the comments, here's a picture of the new acquisition.

Attachments

• Beretta 92FS.jpg
      Beretta 92FS.jpg
      28.3 KB · Views: 82

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Jtlambo

Latest threads