• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mopar92

Official MDS Court Jester
    May 5, 2011
    Taneytown
    yeah, I'm leaning towards a Savage MKII for just that reason. I already have a car to tinker with and a house to repair. I just want a simple, basic gun that I leave alone and build my skills with for now. Last thing I need is another money pit at the moment :D

I'm in Taneytown just up the road from you if you want I can take you to Hap Baker to shoot my Marlin model 60 and try it out.

Mooseman

R.I.P.- Hooligan #4
    Jan 3, 2012
    Western Maryland
    The Ruger 10/22 is a great gun. It is cheap enough to have 2 if that is what you want. 1 to keep bone stock and 1 to customize and accessorize.

hvymax

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 19, 2010
    Dentsville District 28
    I suppose you have to figure out your priorities. For learning nothing beats a 22. Weather a rifle or pistol choose one in a comparable platform to your eventual real gun choice. Maybe you could get a "real" gun with a 22 kit which would allow cheap practice and real stopping power for HD/carry. You can turn a 10-22 into almost anything (AR,AK,precision,thompson,M1 carbine) for an economical trainer as well. For HD nothing beats a 12ga. Whatever you choose get appropriate safety training followed by practical practice for your intended use.
    So settle in with some sweet lemonade(official beverage) and enjoy the show.

Winterborn

Moved to Texas
    Aug 19, 2010
    Arlington, TX
    yeah, I'm leaning towards a Savage MKII for just that reason. I already have a car to tinker with and a house to repair. I just want a simple, basic gun that I leave alone and build my skills with for now. Last thing I need is another money pit at the moment :D

If this is true....delete your cookies, and never come here again.

Bunch of enablers here......

I started a year ago with a single pistol......since then I've bought 2 more pistols, a shotgun, a rifle, and just committed to building 2 ARs this year so far....

Run away while you still can :)

Jan 15, 2012
    Frederick, MD
    I'm in Taneytown just up the road from you if you want I can take you to Hap Baker to shoot my Marlin model 60 and try it out.

Thanks for the offer! I think I'm pretty set on the Savage atm, but I'll let you know if I change my mind.

I suppose you have to figure out your priorities. For learning nothing beats a 22. Weather a rifle or pistol choose one in a comparable platform to your eventual real gun choice. Maybe you could get a "real" gun with a 22 kit which would allow cheap practice and real stopping power for HD/carry. You can turn a 10-22 into almost anything (AR,AK,precision,thompson,M1 carbine) for an economical trainer as well. For HD nothing beats a 12ga. Whatever you choose get appropriate safety training followed by practical practice for your intended use.
    So settle in with some sweet lemonade(official beverage) and enjoy the show.

For now I think a simple .22 will suffice. It'll allow me to get some cheap practice and get a bit more comfortable with shooting and with gun cleaning and ownership in general. Home defense will undoubtedly follow at some point, but its not my priority at the moment. Thanks for the ideas though. I really do want a 12ga. in the near future.

If this is true....delete your cookies, and never come here again.

Bunch of enablers here......

I started a year ago with a single pistol......since then I've bought 2 more pistols, a shotgun, a rifle, and just committed to building 2 ARs this year so far....

Run away while you still can :)

Fair enough... I'm screwed :rofl:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom