• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • macmac360

May 29, 2013
    Ok, I am a PA resident who will be moving to MD in the very near future. I will be moving there within the next 60 days. I have been looking for a while now online to see how the new laws in MD will affect me. I own several rifles that are considered "assault weapons"; I have some shotguns and handguns as well. What will I need to do after moving to MD? Sorry if this is probably common knowledge among you guys, I have been out of state for a while and I am not up to speed on the new laws. I did some googling and came away more confused than I was before I started researching. I am mainly concerned about what "assault weapons" (I HATE that term) owners need to do, I dont want to become an instant criminal because I own a FAL or AR15.

thanks!!

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    buy anything and everything you can get your hands on (that is not banned currently by MD) before stepping across the boundary.

if you already moved before Oct 1.. nothing else need to be done. :)

DC-W

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    ️‍
    If you're in state before Oct 1, you're good to go. You need not do anything with your firearms.

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    Call the Maryland State Police.

They are the best source for the answers to your questions.

I have to ask: Why do you want to come here?

Do you like high taxes and a severe lack of civil liberties?

Oh! Welcome to Notsomerrylandistan and to MDShooters.

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    Ok, I am a PA resident who will be moving to MD in the very near future. I will be moving there within the next 60 days. I have been looking for a while now online to see how the new laws in MD will affect me. I own several rifles that are considered "assault weapons"; I have some shotguns and handguns as well. What will I need to do after moving to MD? Sorry if this is probably common knowledge among you guys, I have been out of state for a while and I am not up to speed on the new laws. I did some googling and came away more confused than I was before I started researching. I am mainly concerned about what "assault weapons" (I HATE that term) owners need to do, I dont want to become an instant criminal because I own a FAL or AR15.

thanks!!

For the love of God, don't do it!!!!
    But if you must, when the new law goes into effect on Oct. 1 any legally owned AR15's will be grandfathered. Just make sure you have proof that it was legally owned before that date and you should be good. Make sure that you become a MD resident before Oct.1.

macmac360

May 29, 2013
    Wow you guys are quick, thanks for the replies. I need to move back for work and family reasons, I cant avoid it. So, MD residents do not need to register assault weapons with the state police or any other agency? And if I get pulled over while driving home from the range with my FAL a year from now, I will not be in any legal trouble? I was under the impression that they needed to be registered after October. Thanks again

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    Wow you guys are quick, thanks for the replies. I need to move back for work and family reasons, I cant avoid it. So, MD residents do not need to register assault weapons with the state police or any other agency?

This is correct.

And if I get pulled over while driving home from the range with my FAL a year from now, I will not be in any legal trouble?

Nope, no trouble at all, can the police prove you purchased the FAL illegally or after Oct 1?

I was under the impression that they needed to be registered after October. Thanks again

Nothing NEEDS to be registered.

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    Wow you guys are quick, thanks for the replies. I need to move back for work and family reasons, I cant avoid it. So, MD residents do not need to register assault weapons with the state police or any other agency? And if I get pulled over while driving home from the range with my FAL a year from now, I will not be in any legal trouble? I was under the impression that they needed to be registered after October. Thanks again

you'll get in trouble if said FAL is used in a criminal offense. Currently MD is voluntary registration (unless you have MG/FA.. that's mandatory).

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA

Attachments

• MSI welcome msg.jpg
      MSI welcome msg.jpg
      40.9 KB · Views: 488

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan

You don't have to have a JOB to do really well in this State.

If you move to the City, there are no FAMILY values.

And you CAN avoid it, but you sound very determined.

You may REGISTER them with the State Police if you wish.

You must REALLY love your Job and Family.

Again, WELCOME!

DC-W

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    ️‍
    After Oct 1st however, you will not be able to purchase any weapon the state deems to be an "assault weapon" and buying a handgun will require training, fingerprinting, and a fee paid to the state. All this out of your pocket, of course.

As others have suggested, get whatever you've wanted to get before you move down here.

mac1_131

MSI Executive Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 31, 2009
    As long as you get here before October 1 you don't have to do anything

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk 2

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    The unspoken part is that if you attempt to move to Md on Oct 2 , there will be no possable way to legally bring your evil rifles at all.

spclopr8tr

Whatchalookinat?
    Apr 20, 2013
    TN
    For the love of God, don't do it!!!!
    But if you must, when the new law goes into effect on Oct. 1 any legally owned AR15's will be grandfathered. Just make sure you have proof that it was legally owned before that date and you should be good. Make sure that you become a MD resident before Oct.1.

I second that. You have my deepest condolences for moving to MD.:sad20:

The link below will take you to a MD legislative site that provides a good overview (in understandable language) about what the 1 OCT law (SB281) covers.

http://mgaleg.maryland.gov/2013RS/fnotes/bil_0001/sb0281.pdf

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    dracula

Latest threads

Top Bottom