• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TheCrow

Jun 22, 2011
    Granite, MD
    Hi Guys,

I just picked up a brand new Marlin 60 at basspro Friday. I took it to the range over the weekend and had many misfires and FTE issues (only on rounds that misfired though). After first range trip I stripped it and gave a it a good cleaning. The next day I took it out again the issues still persisted. I examined my brass and noticed that there is barely a mark on the rim even on the rounds that fired, very light strikes.

Anyone else had this happen with a new model 60? Any idea what may be wrong?

I'd hate to send it in for repair but I want this rifle to work reliably.

BTW I was using wallyworld winchester bulk ammo.

jonnyl

Ultimate Member
    Sep 23, 2009
    Frederick
    what percentage would you estimate? I get ~5% failure rate on the bulk stuff in my Mark III, but took 100 rounds of better stuff to the range a couple weeks ago and it fired 100%.

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    My 2 Marlin 60s fire Win bulk 100% as long as they are clean.

I would check for free motion of the firing pin.

TheCrow

Jun 22, 2011
    Granite, MD
    what percentage would you estimate? I get ~5% failure rate on the bulk stuff in my Mark III, but took 100 rounds of better stuff to the range a couple weeks ago and it fired 100%.

maybe like 15-20%

I reloaded the misfiring rounds and they would fire on the second try. all the strikes looked very light on the spent cases.

TheCrow

Jun 22, 2011
    Granite, MD
    My 2 Marlin 60s fire Win bulk 100% as long as they are clean.

I would check for free motion of the firing pin.

I will check that again tonight.

Could dry firing the 60 cause a problem. The manual made no note of it so I did dry fire a few times before I took it out just to feel the trigger and test function. Could I have damaged the firing pin?

SlotMachine

Feb 6, 2012
    Seven Valleys, PA
    just a thought. My 795 marlin chokes bad (misfires, jams, FtF) ALOT, about 40-50% of the time on bulk winchester and remington ammo. I tried federal lightning and CCI ammo and im down to about 1 or two rounds per 50 being misfire or ftf, worth a try maybe?

TheCrow

Jun 22, 2011
    Granite, MD
    I called the service center for Marlin and they said I will have to send it in... Maybe they know of an issue?

I will try cleaning the firing pin/channel again very thoroughly then take to the range again before sending it in.

Can I verify if pin is moving freely without firing the rifle?

TheCrow

Jun 22, 2011
    Granite, MD
    just a thought. My 795 marlin chokes bad (misfires, jams, FtF) ALOT, about 40-50% of the time on bulk winchester and remington ammo. I tried federal lightning and CCI ammo and im down to about 1 or two rounds per 50 being misfire or ftf, worth a try maybe?

It may be worth a try but all the cases have very light strike marks on them, almost hard to see it even. It seems like the firing pin isn't hitting hard enough. Do you get nice deep well defined strike marks on you marlins?

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    For what it's worth, I always suggest getting a box of GOOD .22lr to diagnose problems. I usually use CCI standard velocity or even Wolf/ Lapua Match Target. If it's not igniting them, it's the gun.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    firing pin needs to move freely...could have some original packing grease sticking it a little..

My thought exactly.

Pull it apart, clean it extensively, reassemble and try it again.

FWIW - I have a 30+ y.o. Model 60, the only time I had light strikes was after many thousands of rounds and not much cleaning, cleaned it extensively, ran like a watch after.

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    My thought exactly.
    Pull it apart, clean it extensively, reassemble and try it again.
    FWIW - I have a 30+ y.o. Model 60, the only time I had light strikes was after many thousands of rounds and not much cleaning, cleaned it extensively, ran like a watch after.
    ^^^^^^^^^^
    This ^ !

I agree, I have 2 of them

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    I kept it since it was the first gun ever put into my hands. :)

23 years later, it's still capable of very respectable accuracy. Great guns for the money, IMO.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    loops12

Latest threads

Top Bottom