• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Aug 19, 2011
    Fredneck, MD
    In just 6 short days, the old lady and I are closing on our first home. Unfortunately we had to stay close to Moco for work reasons, but we'll take what we can get! I can't even wrap my head around having a fire pit again, not getting stuck in traffic when I just run out to get some milk and above all else, privacy and quiet.

However, I was curious if there were any members who live in New Market and what your thoughts are on living there. I know the schools are good, I know of the antiquing (verb?) culture and that it is "safer" than where we live now, but that's about it. I'd appreciate any restaurant recommendations, recommended grocery/shopping centers and of course, ranges in the area.

rob

DINO Extraordinaire
    Oct 11, 2010
    Augusta, GA
    You are also just minutes away from Shooters Discount (industry partner)!

Good for you and welcome back to reality (sort of) from the land of the libtards.

Rob

hdatontodo

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2012
    So. Central Balto Co
    Around 2004, I lived in New Market, in the back of the development across from the post office.

There was grocery shopping either way on 144, as well farther south in Mt Airy. I used to eat at an italian restaurants in each direction also, one in Mt Airy. Johnny Cone, was toward Mt Airy too. It's an easy hop to Frederick too. Linganore winery was just down the road. I used to ride my Harley up Rt 15 or west on 340. Liberty Road seafood is on Rt 26.

Unrelated, but at this moment I'm watching a Revolutionary War show on the Military Channel. Funny how their talk about people defending their freedom against people paid to take it reminds me of today.

Aug 19, 2011
    Fredneck, MD
    Around 2004, I lived in New Market, in the back of the development across from the post office.

There was grocery shopping either way on 144, as well farther south in Mt Airy. I used to eat at an italian restaurants in each direction also, one in Mt Airy. Johnny Cone, was toward Mt Airy too. It's an easy hop to Frederick too. Linganore winery was just down the road. I used to ride my Harley up Rt 15 or west on 340. Liberty Road seafood is on Rt 26.

Unrelated, but at this moment I'm watching a Revolutionary War show on the Military Channel. Funny how their talk about people defending their freedom against people paid to take it reminds me of today.

Dude, that's where we're moving to! Unbelievable!

But I'll be sure to check those places out!

engineerbrian

JMB fan club
    Sep 3, 2010
    Fredneck
    I live in New Market, its an Awesome area! Hell, I hunt in my backyard. :party29:

Its just far enough out of the way, but its still close enough to civilization. I will warn you though. There is a major housing development and commercial development in the works for the west side and east side of town respectively. On top of that, a new road by passing the town is in the works too. Personally, I’m not thrilled about this for various reasons.

Anyways, there are a lot of MDS members that live in this area, so welcome!

tsmith1499

Poor C&R Collector
    Jan 10, 2012
    Southern Mount Airy, Md.

There was grocery shopping either way on 144, as well farther south in Mt Airy. I used to eat at an italian restaurants in each direction also, one in Mt Airy. Johnny Cone, was toward Mt Airy too. It's an easy hop to Frederick too. Linganore winery was just down the road. I used to ride my Harley up Rt 15 or west on 340. Liberty Road seafood is on Rt 26.Unrelated, but at this moment I'm watching a Revolutionary War show on the Military Channel. Funny how their talk about people defending their freedom against people paid to take it reminds me of today.

Sorry, went out of business 2 years ago.

Aug 19, 2011
    Fredneck, MD
    Dude, that's where we're moving to! Unbelievable!

But I'll be sure to check those places out!

I live in New Market, its an Awesome are! Hell, I hunt in my backyard. :party29:

Its just far enough out of the way, but its still close enough to civilization. I will warn you though. There is a major housing development and commercial development in the works for the west side and east side of town respectively. On top of that, a new road by passing the town is in the works too. Personally, I’m not thrilled about this for various reasons.

Anyways, there are a lot of MDS members that live in this area, so welcome!

Haha, very cool. That's a bummer about the new developments, but hopefully it's not overbearing. Awesome info though! Maybe we can all grill something up one night.

John Go

Dec 22, 2010
    FredCo

Jimmy Cone.

And Liberty Road Seafood is closed and for sale.

But New Market is Nice.

Arcamm

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    You picked a nice location. Not much in the restaurant seen in NM, but as others have said, Mount Airy is getting better with food. You have Food Lion in town and Food Lion, Safeway and Weis in MA. MA has a Walmart that you can go to and look at the empty ammo shelves and Shooter's Discount, but the owner sells at very reasonable prices so he sells out real fast.

If that's not enough, you've got Frederick and it has everything and you don't have to fight 270 traffic to get there. Some of the restaurants are on par with DC, prices included.

We are in MA and left Moco 11 years ago and don't have any regrets.

I've never tried Carter-que. My wife is a vegitarian and it's hard to get her in a bar-b-que place. Especialy with a sushi place accross the street.

Aug 19, 2011
    Fredneck, MD
    You picked a nice location. Not much in the restaurant seen in NM, but as others have said, Mount Airy is getting better with food. You have Food Lion in town and Food Lion, Safeway and Weis in MA. MA has a Walmart that you can go to and look at the empty ammo shelves and Shooter's Discount, but the owner sells at very reasonable prices so he sells out real fast.

If that's not enough, you've got Frederick and it has everything and you don't have to fight 270 traffic to get there. Some of the restaurants are on par with DC, prices included.

We are in MA and left Moco 11 years ago and don't have any regrets.

I've never tried Carter-que. My wife is a vegitarian and it's hard to get her in a bar-b-que place. Especialy with a sushi place accross the street.

Thank you very kindly! Hilarious comment about Walmart as well. I've only been to MA once, but I really enjoyed it.

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    OP, there a shopping center right at the corner of 144 and 75. You have a Food Lion, Lighthouse Seafood & Deli (just over the hill going east on 144), Morgan's American Bar and Grill (in the shopping center), PNC bank, liquor store, 2 gas stations, Dunkin' Donuts, McDonalds, Pediatric Center (I think it is still there), Domino's pizza, a CVS, and some other things right there on the east side of NM. In NM, I remember a good place to eat called Mealey's, but I don't think they are open anymore. West of NM you have Mills on the Hill (hooch and bait shop), at the corner of 144 and Mussetter (sp?) Road. Keep heading west on 144 and you will get to Spring Ridge, where there is a Weis, Exxon, coffee shop, Subway, J&P's Pizza, a liquor store, and a 24 hour gym.

If you want to do some golfing, there are a few places near NM you can go. Holly Hills has a golf course, but you have to be a member of the club in order to play there.
    http://www.hollyhillsgolf.com/Home

Hope Vally Golf Course
    http://hopevalleygolf.com/

Clustered Spires Golf Club is run by the City of Frederick
    http://www.clusteredspiresgolf.com/

Whiskey Creek Golf Club
    http://www.whiskeycreekgolf.com/whiskey.asp

Anyways, welcome to Frederick County. Maybe we'll run into each other at Cresap one day. May FredCo be more peaceful than MoCo for you.

jimd27

Nov 12, 2011
    OP, there a shopping center right at the corner of 144 and 75. You have a Food Lion, Lighthouse Seafood & Deli (just over the hill going east on 144), Morgan's American Bar and Grill (in the shopping center), PNC bank, liquor store, 2 gas stations, Dunkin' Donuts, McDonalds, Pediatric Center (I think it is still there), Domino's pizza, a CVS, and some other things right there on the east side of NM. In NM, I remember a good place to eat called Mealey's, but I don't think they are open anymore. West of NM you have Mills on the Hill (hooch and bait shop), at the corner of 144 and Mussetter (sp?) Road. Keep heading west on 144 and you will get to Spring Ridge, where there is a Weis, Exxon, coffee shop, Subway, J&P's Pizza, a liquor store, and a 24 hour gym.

If you want to do some golfing, there are a few places near NM you can go. Holly Hills has a golf course, but you have to be a member of the club in order to play there.
    http://www.hollyhillsgolf.com/Home

Hope Vally Golf Course
    http://hopevalleygolf.com/

Clustered Spires Golf Club is run by the City of Frederick
    http://www.clusteredspiresgolf.com/

Whiskey Creek Golf Club
    http://www.whiskeycreekgolf.com/whiskey.asp

Anyways, welcome to Frederick County. Maybe we'll run into each other at Cresap one day. May FredCo be more peaceful than MoCo for you.

Im in baltimore city but my mother is in new market. Lighthouse seafood is one of the best seafood markets around! I make a point to stop by whenever I visit the mom.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    ObsidianCC

Latest threads

Top Bottom