• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • asdaven

Oct 30, 2013
    Maryland
    Hi-
    Im new on here but lived in the state of Maryland for over 20 years. It has too long. Its seems Maryland's list of banned of assault weapons has some holes, which is good for us gun owners. Yeah the common popular assault rifles are banned like AK47s and AR-15s. But what about VZ-58s? They look like an AK but are completely different. I assume M1 Garands, M1 Carbine, and Mini 14 are still legal in Maryland? Also, what about semi auto submachine guns? They list the Thompson and the Uzi. But what about something like the Finnish Suomi? Or the Russian PPSH? Does anybody know if any of these are still legal? For pistols, does anybody know if C&R status makes them unregulated?
    Thanks

Seth

Sep 17, 2013
    Hi-
    Im new on here but lived in the state of Maryland for over 20 years. It has too long. Its seems Maryland's list of banned of assault weapons has some holes, which is good for us gun owners. Yeah the common popular assault rifles are banned like AK47s and AR-15s. But what about VZ-58s? They look like an AK but are completely different. I assume M1 Garands, M1 Carbine, and Mini 14 are still legal in Maryland? Also, what about semi auto submachine guns? They list the Thompson and the Uzi. But what about something like the Finnish Suomi? Or the Russian PPSH? Does anybody know if any of these are still legal? For pistols, does anybody know if C&R status makes them unregulated?
    Thanks
    Please use the search function, this has been discussed multiple times on here.

Oh, and welcome. Donate to MSI to help fight against the anti gunners in Annapolis.

KL1

Feb 6, 2013
    Northern MoCo
    No offense to the OP, and maybe I'm being paranoid, but does this strike anyone else as a suspicious first post?
    asdaven, if I'm off-base, I apologize and welcome to the forum.

Devil Dog

Sep 20, 2013
    No offense to the OP, and maybe I'm being paranoid, but does this strike anyone else as a suspicious first post?

+1

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Oct 21, 2008
    St Mary's

Not really suspicious. Give him a chance. The new law is confusing at best for most.

asdaven

Oct 30, 2013
    Maryland
    Why would this be suspecious? I'm new here. I've searched all over the net but not on here. I don't understand the new law. Did it ban all semi auto rifles with detachable magazines or is it just those listed specifically by name? That's my question.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    Hi-
    Im new on here but lived in the state of Maryland for over 20 years. It has too long. Its seems Maryland's list of banned of assault weapons has some holes, which is good for us gun owners.

Welcome to the site, your questions below are numerous and have been discussed as nausium, and the search function will get you the detailed answers you are looking for. With that said, please see the short answers below.

Yeah the common popular assault rifles are banned like AK47s and AR-15s. But what about VZ-58s? They look like an AK but are completely different.

Do they pass the copy cat test?

I assume M1 Garands, M1 Carbine, and Mini 14 are still legal in Maryland?

If you are familiar with the former regulated list then you already know the answer. If not then the above are still good to go with the exception of the mini-14 with a folding stock.

Also, what about semi auto submachine guns? They list the Thompson and the Uzi. But what about something like the Finnish Suomi? Or the Russian PPSH? Does anybody know if any of these are still legal?

Do they pass the copy cat test? Are they available with a 10 round magazine.

For pistols, does anybody know if C&R status makes them unregulated?
    Thanks

Still regulated, but no HQL required for purchase.

asdaven

Oct 30, 2013
    Maryland
    Ok I've read the list. VZ 58 was unregulated before. The Suomi M 31 was unregulated before. The Suomi dosent copycat anything. The VZ 58 could copycat the Ak 47 but I don't think it does completely different gun. So I guess you can still get these in Maryland?

KL1

Feb 6, 2013
    Northern MoCo
    Why would this be suspecious? I'm new here. I've searched all over the net but not on here. I don't understand the new law. Did it ban all semi auto rifles with detachable magazines or is it just those listed specifically by name? That's my question.

Sorry, there is sometimes a tendency to paranoia because we know that antis may be attempting to find the "loopholes". As I said, if I'm off-base I apologize.

JettaRed

Ultimate Member
    Mar 13, 2013
    Middletown
    Nah. Nothing like that. I was just wondering what I still can buy in Maryland.

Here's a quick way to get your questions answered. Call a registered dealer and ask. Or call several if the first can't give you a solid answer.

Also, C&R handguns can be purchased from out of state (e.g., Internet, GunBroker, GunsAmerica, etc.) without going through the 77R process. In-state purchases require going through a FFL.

Devil Dog

Sep 20, 2013
    Ok I've read the list. VZ 58 was unregulated before. The Suomi M 31 was unregulated before. The Suomi dosent copycat anything. The VZ 58 could copycat the Ak 47 but I don't think it does completely different gun. So I guess you can still get these in Maryland?

Sorry if we seem a bit shy but there are trolls among us.

More important, don't confuse "copycat" with "copy". Two similar words, but two VERY different legal concepts. Those rifles you cite may not "copy" a banned rifle, but they still may be "copycats" (e.g., shorter than 29", a centerfire semi-auto with any two of the following: folding stock, flash suppressor, grenade launcher, a fixed mag that holds more than 10 rounds).

Take some time to read the statute (that's a serious suggestion, not meant as a snarky remark). After your headache goes away :D read it again. Seriously, a lot of the answers are right there in the text.

Finally, visit a good gunshop and see what they have in stock (I highly recommend Engage Armanment in Rockville). And ask Andy, Carlos, or AJ if they can order something you want but they don't have. They will let you know if they think it is legal and can get it.

Good luck. And good shooting!

Oct 21, 2008
    St Mary's
    Here's a quick way to get your questions answered. Call a registered dealer and ask. Or call several if the first can't give you a solid answer.

Also, C&R handguns can be purchased from out of state (e.g., Internet, GunBroker, GunsAmerica, etc.) without going through the 77R process. In-state purchases require going through a FFL.

Whoa easy...ONLY if he holds and FFL03.

C&R guns can be PURCHASED without a HQL in MD but still need to go through the normal process.

Also, there are plenty of dealers who are unsure of the new law as well, so tread lightly with that. Consult an IP dealer on here. Chances are he's more familiar than most.

zoostation

, ,
    Jan 28, 2007
    Abingdon

It's just the guns on the formerly regulated list including their copies, and also (easy to forget the next part) those that fail the "copycat" test. Centerfire semi-auto under 29" OAL, more than one of {folding stock, flash suppressor, grenade or flare launcher}, fixed magazine of more than ten rounds.

abean4187

Ultimate Member
    Apr 16, 2013

Meh, I see nothing wrong with it, the new law is confusing and the police are not enforcing it as passed (Live round fire to get handgun license.)

Not to mention that terms like copy cat, manufacture, etc mean basically nothing to those that have not passed the BAR.

Docster

Ultimate Member
    Jul 19, 2010
    Hopefully there's a lesson here for all noobs;

--First posts should be for introducing oneself
    --It pays to read the forums and learn the ropes; contribute to existing threads before giving in to the compulsion to start a new one just to do it.
    --It ALWAYS pays to SEARCH the forums; it's highly unlikely that your new idea and thoughts haven't come up before by someone here with a lot more experience and foresight. There's much to be learned by the knowledge already discussed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    alfontso

Latest threads

Top Bottom