• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    I would think that the best defense against RC drones is to go after the operator. His transceiver is a beacon and he's a much less nimble target than the drone itself. If I felt the need to fly a drone in someone else's airspace, I wouldn't just be worrying about losing a toy. I would also be worrying about losing it all. You never know what's going to happen when you mess with people's right to conduct their affairs in private.
    Have a ham license, as most FPVers do, have RF equipment to find noise floor and interference sources, have liability insurance through the AMA, have a club field I usually fly from, legal representation, a groundstation DVR and EDC GLOCKs if the need arises. Not worried about a couple tinfoilers that wander outside from their mommas basement and think I'm stealing their soul.

Bald Fat Guy

Oct 7, 2014
    Overflights by drones in non-public airspace are like riding ATVs on private property. If itKs your own property , or you have permission , great for you. If not .....

Bald Fat Guy

Oct 7, 2014
    And let's not forget the first usage of these drones to make national news . Animal rights activists using them to haras and interfere with live pigeon shoots in Pa.

VG-10

Oct 5, 2012
    Calvert County
    Now we've got a problem!

131029143454-drone-use-art-cat-horizontal-gallery.jpg

Cat poop from 400'...

Scramble the doggie drones STAT!!!

fred2207

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 14, 2013
    PG
    :lol2:
    There's no quotation marks. It is trespassing.

When you get to 100' to 200' yeah I do have a problem with that. I have antennas up that high and I don't want your quadcopter tangled in them.

I wonder if you have the required warning beacons??? I believe it's any antenna above 50 or a 100 feet, been a wile don't remember for sure.

PapiBarcelona

Ultimate Member
    Jan 1, 2011
    Tighten the tin foil. So what's the difference from walking through someone's yard to get where you are going, versus flying a toy airplane? At least the person walking on the ground can gawk at No Trespassing signs, right?

new_shooter

Ultimate Member
    Jun 26, 2010
    Yeah cause all drone operator are the same right? Just like all firearm owners?

Very much this. I've seen examples of people operating these 'drones' in very inoffensive manners. And I've seen people operating them with a complete lack of consideration for the peace and property of others.

I recall watching a video which was posted by the drone flyer as evidence of what a jerk his neighbor was, and asking whether he should sue that neighbor for damages, because that neighbor downed the drone with a rock. In the video, the guy had been buzzing around the neighbors house, including passes within 20 feet of the neighbors front door and passing through the 5 foot gap between the neighbors cars, for about 20 minutes before the rock was thrown. :sad20:

On the other hand, I've visited a local RC park and talked with people flying there. Good people, who keep an eye on each other to make sure everyone's behaving as good neighbors to the surrounding area. More power to 'em.

Regarding the original post, the article is too shallow to form an opinion. How high was the drone being flown? For how long? Was this a frequent thing? How much noise does the drone make? Had the neighbor ever complained before? Any prior complaints to local police? The article shows an incredible lack of investigative reporting on the part of the so-called journalist.

PapiBarcelona

Ultimate Member
    Jan 1, 2011
    Have a ham license, as most FPVers do, have RF equipment to find noise floor and interference sources, have liability insurance through the AMA, have a club field I usually fly from, legal representation, a groundstation DVR and EDC GLOCKs if the need arises. Not worried about a couple tinfoilers that wander outside from their mommas basement and think I'm stealing their soul.

Very good. High five your lawyers at the RC park knowing you are well prepared.

Unfortunately, most people don't do any of this.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    Very good. High five your lawyers at the RC park knowing you are well prepared.

Unfortunately, most people don't do any of this.

Liability insurance is included with AMA membership, and most clubs require AMA membership, so a good chunk are covered. If someone does crash they are liable for the damages, provided the crash was not caused intentionally by someone else. And just about anyone prepared for personal defense should at least pick a lawyer and meet with them, bets finding one out of a phonebook at 2am post shooting. I have seen irresponsible people flying RC, most don't know any better, a handful just don't care, the vast majority though are responsible, although the idiots get all the press, and the uninformed population buy into fear and irrationality, not unlike the gun world.

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    Just get a counter drone, accidental air to air collision. Opps

Must be more to this story? Neighbor checking out sunbathing wife or daughter? Constant filming? Barbeque videos on youtube?

Sort of like anything else, most people are reasonable. It only takes one jackass on either side to make things bad.

Bald Fat Guy

Oct 7, 2014
    RC Field/Club = equiv to shooting range/ gun club.

Low overflights = equiv to walking onto neighbor's property and conducting target practice w/o permission.

Half-cocked

Senior Meatbag
    Mar 14, 2006
    And let's not forget the first usage of these drones to make national news . Animal rights activists using them to haras and interfere with live pigeon shoots in Pa.

I heard some of the anti's were using binoculars, and walkie-talkies, too. We need to ban these things as well.

VG-10

Oct 5, 2012
    Calvert County
    Very much this. I've seen examples of people operating these 'drones' in very inoffensive manners. And I've seen people operating them with a complete lack of consideration for the peace and property of others.

I recall watching a video which was posted by the drone flyer as evidence of what a jerk his neighbor was, and asking whether he should sue that neighbor for damages, because that neighbor downed the drone with a rock. In the video, the guy had been buzzing around the neighbors house, including passes within 20 feet of the neighbors front door and passing through the 5 foot gap between the neighbors cars, for about 20 minutes before the rock was thrown. :sad20:

On the other hand, I've visited a local RC park and talked with people flying there. Good people, who keep an eye on each other to make sure everyone's behaving as good neighbors to the surrounding area. More power to 'em.

Regarding the original post, the article is too shallow to form an opinion. How high was the drone being flown? For how long? Was this a frequent thing? How much noise does the drone make? Had the neighbor ever complained before? Any prior complaints to local police? The article shows an incredible lack of investigative reporting on the part of the so-called journalist.

Agree with you on all points. The only thing I would add is, even though the story is lacking on information, I can't imagine anything being brought to light that would legally justify what this guy did.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    I heard some of the anti's were using binoculars, and walkie-talkies, too. We need to ban these things as well.

If only PA would pass a law against interfering with hunting;)

In that case, they probably would have been arrested for trespassing and interfering with the hunt, the hunters hit the camera with a rifle(the aircraft didn't crash), there were no charges, and the lawsuit is moving through the courts. There isn't much specific case law, so in most instances when police get involved between FPVers and people that don't like it, the bigger of the 2 A-holes gets ordered to stop. That is till property is damaged, or someone turns it physical, then there is plenty of caselaw that usually sides with the person who can show tangible damage or injury caused by the other, and is least likely to be the aggressor.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Millebar

Latest threads

Top Bottom