• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • boule

Ultimate Member
    Oct 16, 2008
    Galt's Gulch
    Well, relatively new but finally got setteled....

Hi guys, nice to see that there are at least a few other people interested in shooting around here and I finally got the time to get into touch with you.
    I ended up moving to Baltimore City from Berlin, Germany for the simple reason of finding a nice job here. Of course that meant that I had to let my hobby sleep for a couple of month, learn about new gun laws (ours are a little bit more complicated than yours), get a hunting license to satisfy the nice federal statutes about nonimigrant aliens and firearms and am now waiting for the ATF and BAFA (the german counterpart) to approve the transfer of my long guns. As far as buerocrats are concerned that might take another few months :sad20:

Coming to experience with guns: I have been shooting competitively Air rifle - olympic and Field Target - and 22lr for about 5 years, vintage military rifles a little bit less long and mostly just for fun. Shotgun and handgun are below competition standard and my CZ handgun was sold when I had to hand in my CCL before moving here.

I was hoping someone might be able to give me a heads-up about shooting opportunities around Baltimore and a couple of trustworthy suppliers. Of course it would also be very nice to get to know some of the local shooters. If anyone got an interest in vintage military rifles and likes to talk that would be more than hoping for.
    I actually might end up getting myself a nagant to spend the time until my other toys get over here. Muzzleloader or hand-rolling a couple of nice hunting rounds currently seems to be no option, or does anyone of you know how to get the multifamily dwelling prohibitions waivered?

In case it comes to politics which many people have asked me about ever since I arrived - no, I neither call me democrat or republican. Any government that does not interfere with my rights is fine with me and the less government there is, the more I like it. Ofc. the more I learn about any governmet, the more I like my guns.......

OK, so much about myself. I'll be reading through the threads to figure out some more information now but hope I can ask if not being able to find it.

cheers

boule

novus collectus

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 1, 2005
    Bowie

Hi guys, nice to see that there are at least a few other people interested in shooting around here and I finally got the time to get into touch with you.
    I ended up moving to Baltimore City from Berlin, Germany for the simple reason of finding a nice job here. Of course that meant that I had to let my hobby sleep for a couple of month, learn about new gun laws (ours are a little bit more complicated than yours),
    First, welcome!

Just wondering, could you start a thread about German gun laws? Or maybe put it in this one? I have an interest in gun laws of other nations and I think some others here might too.
    By the way, are you familiar with Luxemborg gun laws too?

get a hunting license to satisfy the nice federal statutes about nonimigrant aliens and firearms and am now waiting for the ATF and BAFA (the german counterpart) to approve the transfer of my long guns. As far as buerocrats are concerned that might take another few months :sad20:
    So do you have a Green card? I mean are you a resident alien?
    I have to look, but you might qualify for a C&R FFL.

Coming to experience with guns: I have been shooting competitively Air rifle - olympic and Field Target - and 22lr for about 5 years, vintage military rifles a little bit less long and mostly just for fun. Shotgun and handgun are below competition standard and my CZ handgun was sold when I had to hand in my CCL before moving here.

I was hoping someone might be able to give me a heads-up about shooting opportunities around Baltimore and a couple of trustworthy suppliers. Of course it would also be very nice to get to know some of the local shooters. If anyone got an interest in vintage military rifles and likes to talk that would be more than hoping for.
    I actually might end up getting myself a nagant to spend the time until my other toys get over here. Muzzleloader or hand-rolling a couple of nice hunting rounds currently seems to be no option, or does anyone of you know how to get the multifamily dwelling prohibitions waivered?
    Some guys from that area can clue you in to the spots to shoot, but On Target is not too far from South Baltimore.

The reloading and storage of powder might be gotten around by using a storage shed separate from the multi family dwelling.
    Not sure about this one or if it is a good idea, but if you have a car I assume you could store the powder in the trunk for the muzzloader. (I am not a lawyer)

In case it comes to politics which many people have asked me about ever since I arrived - no, I neither call me democrat or republican. Any government that does not interfere with my rights is fine with me and the less government there is, the more I like it. Ofc. the more I learn about any governmet, the more I like my guns.......
    Watch it, speech like that may get you called a Libertarian.....not that there is anything wrong with that. :D

By the way, for the hunting license you can get a type of license in MD that does not require the hunter safety course. It costs something like six dollars. You might want to get it before Sunday.
    Until you get the hunting license, I think you can possess muzzloaders and that would include cap and ball revolvers.

Houndkeeper

Gardez Bien
    Of course that meant that I had to let my hobby sleep for a couple of month, learn about new gun laws (ours are a little bit more complicated than yours), get a hunting license to satisfy the nice federal statutes about nonimigrant aliens and firearms and am now waiting for the ATF and BAFA (the german counterpart) to approve the transfer of my long guns.

Scheißdreck !! Seriously?? Our Maryland laws a easier?

Welcome to MD Shooters....glad to have you!

boule

Ultimate Member
    Oct 16, 2008
    Galt's Gulch
    Just wondering, could you start a thread about German gun laws? Or maybe put it in this one?
    By the way, are you familiar with Luxemborg gun laws too?
    Sure, will do - although I do not know Luxembourg law by heart and would have to look that one up first. Anything else you want? Switzerland, Austria or France?

So do you have a Green card? I mean are you a resident alien?
    I have to look, but you might qualify for a C&R FFL.
    J1 Visa transitioning to H1 in about 2 yrs. Resident, nonimmigrant alien for these matters and gues I would not require an FFL for just a few rifles that are not regulated as "assult" or anything else. Not that I would just love to get it and afterwards send a copy to our "gun registration" office and wait at the beach for the primodial scream to travel the atlantic.

The reloading and storage of powder might be gotten around by using a storage shed separate from the multi family dwelling.
    Not sure about this one or if it is a good idea, but if you have a car I assume you could store the powder in the trunk for the muzzloader.
    Sorry but no access to a storage shed in downtown Baltimore and storing powder under the changing temperatures of a car trunk sounds definately unhealthy.

Watch it, speech like that may get you called a Libertarian.....not that there is anything wrong with that. :D
    Libertarian, Anarchist, Antichrist (ok, that was only the mother of one of my dates when I was 16)..... nothing wrong with being called anything as long as I can still think outside of the box people want me in.

By the way, for the hunting license you can get a type of license in MD that does not require the hunter safety course. It costs something like six dollars. You might want to get it before Sunday. Until you get the hunting license, I think you can possess muzzloaders and that would include cap and ball revolvers.
    Thanks for the heads up on that but I already got my hunting license. Was a fun course though with people teaching a lot of common sense and got to shoot a couple of clays after the test.

novus collectus

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 1, 2005
    Bowie
    Sure, will do - although I do not know Luxembourg law by heart and would have to look that one up first. Anything else you want? Switzerland, Austria or France?
    I am a little familiar about French gun law (the eight categories and all that), Switzerland law is almost like a must read for pro gun rights debaters and so I know a little bit about that as well, but I would love to learn Austrian gun laws.

J1 Visa transitioning to H1 in about 2 yrs. Resident, nonimmigrant alien for these matters and gues I would not require an FFL for just a few rifles that are not regulated as "assult" or anything else. Not that I would just love to get it and afterwards send a copy to our "gun registration" office and wait at the beach for the primodial scream to travel the atlantic.
    Oh no, I wasn't clear. You don't need an FFL to own a gun, but having one makes it a whole lot easier to buy them across state lines. :)
    The Curio and Relic license is good for getting deals on military surplus rifles and milsurp handguns because you can buy from out of state wholesalers.

Sorry but no access to a storage shed in downtown Baltimore and storing powder under the changing temperatures of a car trunk sounds definately unhealthy.
    Yeah I was thinking that too, especially blackpowder and smokeless powder, but Pyrodex is very stable and not as hygroscopic. I have kept a bottle in my garage for years and it is still good. BP is more fun IMO, but Pyrodex works well in my cap and ball revolver. I've even loaded some cartridges with it before to how it would do and it did great.

Thanks for the heads up on that but I already got my hunting license. Was a fun course though with people teaching a lot of common sense and got to shoot a couple of clays after the test.
    :thumbsup:
    Are you aware of the MDShooter's Fall shoot this Sunday?

DD214

Founder
    Apr 26, 2005
    St Mary's County
    Welcome boule! It looks like it may be about time to have an MDShooters get together at the Old Stein in Annapolis and enjoy a few Köstritzers. One of my best friends in Maryland is a German national from Stuttgart that has lived in Maryland for about 5 years or so. He has bought at least one firearm, so maybe he can be of better assistance.

mikec

Ultimate Member
    Dec 1, 2007
    Off I-83
    Welcome to the group and to the country. This state has some weird laws but overall it is an OK place to live.

You mentioned that you had a CZ pistol, what model? Most dealers can get a CZ, once you can legally buy a gun. Another member mention an indoor range called On Target, there is another range called Continental Arms, off Interstate 83, outside the city, heading to Pennsylvania. You can rent various guns there.

3rdRcn

RIP
    Industry Partner
    Sep 9, 2007
    Harford County
    Welcome to Maryland and this forum!

Does anyone else here see the amazing thing that happened, we have a legal immigrant coming to our country and he joins a pro 2A forum with member number 1776...THAT'S AWESOME. Maybe it's just me.

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    Does anyone else here see the amazing thing that happened, we have a legal immigrant coming to our country and he joins a pro 2A forum with member number 1776...THAT'S AWESOME. Maybe it's just me.

Nah, it's not just you. That is indeed pretty awesome.

nebula8080

Dec 30, 2007
    Welcome!! Did you bring any G1 FAL parts with you? :)

I shoot at a really nice range just west of Baltimore. You are more than welcome to join me sometime.

I ended up moving to Baltimore City from Berlin, Germany for the simple reason of finding a nice job here. Of course that meant that I had to let my hobby sleep for a couple of month, learn about new gun laws (ours are a little bit more complicated than yours), get a hunting license to satisfy the nice federal statutes about nonimigrant aliens and firearms and am now waiting for the ATF and BAFA (the german counterpart) to approve the transfer of my long guns. As far as buerocrats are concerned that might take another few months :sad20:

OK, so much about myself. I'll be reading through the threads to figure out some more information now but hope I can ask if not being able to find it.

cheers

boule

Topher

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 8, 2008
    Fredneck

It is not just you. Agreed.... Awesome. That is what it is all about.

novus collectus

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 1, 2005
    Bowie

Yeah, and it is a good thing he didn't move to Trenton first. ;)

boule

Ultimate Member
    Oct 16, 2008
    Galt's Gulch
    Are you aware of the MDShooter's Fall shoot this Sunday?

Aehm yes..... but unfortunately not able to come. Sry would have loved to get to know the forum members here in person.

Furthermore the member no. and the background - that is kind of a little bit extraordinary but fun. Trust me I did not try to get this user number is was really coincidence.

As by popular demand here the facts about the German gun laws (Austrian will follow).
    Preamble: Our lawmakers and media representatives are all post-war or post-'68 and guns are to them the seed of evil. Every time an incident with guns occurs the media starts crying for more stringent gun laws and many times the lawmakers are just too happy to oblige. Statistics about legal gun ownership seem to be irrelevant.
    All gun laws are federal laws. States enact them but have to abide by them. Nonetheless it is not uncommon that interpretations vary from state to state and especially if someone in administration wants to profile him/herself gun-owners find themselves discriminated against very fast and are often forced to take legal action.

A public gun-rights organization as effective as the NRA does not exist! We have something called the FWR (forum gun rights) that tried to profile itself as an organization representing the arms manufactureres and distributors as well as sports shooters and hunters, usually resorting to "secret talks" with politicians to further our cause. When the last round of gun rights review came up, they unilaterally pressed for a "smart lock" system that has now become mandatory to use for people inheriting any guns. General feeling is that they sold us out as the figureheads of the FWR are/were also significant shareholders and board members of the Armatrix cooperation that came up with the blocking system. Understandably they have ever since come to avoid any public appearances on shooting ranges as a good many people feel that they should be downrange.

OK, coming to the laws:
    Relevant law is the WaffG (Waffengesetz - arms law) with some other definitions being found in other laws and a major part on how it should be enacted in the AWaffVo (allgemeine Waffengesetzverordnung - general arms law enactment bill). The enactment bill has become invalid with changes in 2003 and never since been amended.
    The law refers to all firearms, air rifles, crossbows and any other device that is designed to and can be used to attack or incapacitate a human being.

- Owning a gun:

free posession from the age of 18:
    Air rifles, co2 rifles, air pistols and similar conceptions that do not exceed a muzzle energy of 7.5 J (engraved F in pentagon symbol ), furthermore blank firing guns that are proven by federal authorities to be unable to fire live rounds and cannot be easily converted. Muzzleloading firearms developed before 1871 and their replicas are exempt as well but you need an explosives license to buy any form of powder.
    Bows are sporting goods and not regulated, crossbows are free to own but since they "store" energy are also subject to the arms law.

Firearms:
    All firearms are registered and you have to prove a need to posess them (worse than CCL here) and obtain a gun license. You have to store all firearms in a safe and prove this to the regulating authorities. You have to be 18 to buy any guns but are limited to .22 rimfire and shotguns. Anything with more punch either from 21 years after a psychiatric examination or without that hassle after the 25th birthday.
    Full-Auto Firearms are not available to private persons, barring exceptions from federal authorities (a few collectors and museums)!

Licensing is as follows:
    Sports shooters - gelbe WBK (yellow document) - have to train with and be member of a shooting club which is organized in a government recognized and regulated (no self-defense) shooting organization for 12 month, pass an exam on gun safety and gun laws and are subject to a background check. With the yellow document you may obtain single shot and repeating rifles, single shot shotguns, single shot handguns and muzzleloading revolvers without prior permission but need to register them with state authorities within 14 days.
    To obtain anything else a different license - gruene WBK (green document)- is required. Conditions for obtaining it are the same but the shooting organization has to approve of each gun you buy beforehand, then you have to obtain a permission slip from state authorities for a gun (p.ex. 9mm semi-auto- caliber and type though not make and model) before being allowed to buy it. Authorities believe 2 Handguns are sufficient for sports shooting and any number above that is subject to special approval and requirements - so without showing up at state championships or taking up disciplines that your two other guns cannot be used for - no chance!
    Obtaining guns is limited to 2 every 6 month!

hunters- hunting education, if taken continuously, is about a 4week course and teaches everything relating to the local wildlife, environment, animal care, forest care etc. There is also an accurancy requirement for shooting targets and clays.
    With a hunting license you get automatically issued a - gruene WBK (green document) - and may buy any single-shot or repeating rifle and rifle ammunition as well as single-shot shotguns. Semi-auto rifles and repeating and semi-auto shotguns are subject to approval by state authorities and in general posession of more than 3 requires a really good reason.
    Hunters may buy 2 large-caliber handguns (subject to guess what). If those two are already in posession and trapping is started a 3rd handgun (.22 or something really weak) is usually allowed.
    All guns have to be registered within 14 days of purchase. Obtaining guns is limited to 2 every 6 month!

-collectors, experts and similar:
    Experts are learned gunsmith and other persons recognized by state and federal authorities that have sufficiently proven their knowledge with arms.
    Collectors are persons interested in certain types of guns either for historical or technical reasons. They need to prove their knowledge by submitting a written collection plan together with a history and complete background of the collection subject and also have to take an oral examination before a state board (that usually knows nothing about the subject).
    All those groups are issued a - rote WBK (red document) - that allows them to buy and sell guns (nonprofit only). They have to report all items posessed together with serial number, manufacturer make and so on on a regular basis (at least yearly) and have their books verified.
    The posession is also subject to further limitations. In case of collectors it is usually the collection subject only (mauser systems only, guns of the French army from 1890 to 1945 and so on). Technical experts may often keep firearms only up to 6 month unless they need them as reference.
    Storage and obtaining ammunition is subject to many more regulations.

Home defense and self defense is - in the eyes of the lawmakers - not a need to own a gun. You have to carry a policeman or a device to summoun one :D

-Concealed carry:
    Forget about it if you do not hold a public office. You need to prove a need to defend yourself and that a gun would be appropriate. Unless you have special police forces checking the room before you enter it you are probably not going to get a license.
    As a rule of thumb a number of documented attacks on your person due to a certain condition (p.ex. jewler carrying samples to customers) that you cannot change without loosing your job or life gets you an about 25% chance of obtaining a license (can you hire security? - sorry no need for a CCL). Resulting the number of private citizens having a CCL in my hometown (3.5 mill inhabitants) was below 300!

Any further questions, feel free to ask.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    incase

Latest threads

Top Bottom