• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hi3cho

Ultimate Member
    Nov 16, 2012
    Edgemere
    So I am new to hunting, I have been Deer hunting a few times on friend's private land in their ladder stands. I have been lucky enough to get a spot in a hunting club this year with a buddy of mine. I planned on buying a nice ladder stand to put up on the property but my buddy said they generally build permanent stands. I am not concerned with movability or losing the land or club so that is not really a concern. The price is very reasonable for the club so I am not concerned with the investment in the stand.

I guess what I am looking for are some ideas of what you may have built or seen. My initial idea is to build a box blind like the one he showed me. Here are what I am looking for suggests on.

Base Size? 4x4, 6x6?
    Roof Height? 6', 8'?
    Ladder Height? 15', 20'?
    Windows? 3 Sides? Height/Dimensions for Shooting Angles?
    Materials? 2x4's, Plywood, T1-11 Walls,
    Paint or Cover in Camo?

I like the idea of a covered blind because it should mask any movement and help with weather/wind and being permanent the deer will get used to seeing it. Any advice/insight would be helpful

Archeryrob

Undecided on a great many things
    Mar 7, 2013
    Washington Co. - Fairplay
    IMO, if you're needing a blind to hide your movements, you have more training for yourself on how to sit still and hunt. Personally, I would prefer several stands over one and hunt the most wind favorable one.

I can't recommend a box blind as I haven't used one. I am going to assume you only will rifle hunt then.

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    You can get plenty of room from from a 6x6 platform. School bus windows if you can get them are the way to go. 4x8 framed up with 2x3's and 6 and a half foot tall works good for me. Having some room for a partner is a good idea. Depending on terrain could help determine height. We build them on irrigation pivots that are about 8-10 feet tall. Stand on top of it if you want to bow hunt.

Mack C-85

R.I.P.
    Jan 22, 2014
    Littlestown, PA
    I used a commercial two man 15' ladder stand from Bass Pro. a roll of 4' camo netting attached to the top rail provided plenty of concealment. I've seen too many shoddy home built shacks to worry about the $300 I had in mine. it was very comfortable to hunt out of.

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    I used a commercial two man 15' ladder stand from Bass Pro. a roll of 4' camo netting attached to the top rail provided plenty of concealment. I've seen too many shoddy home built shacks to worry about the $300 I had in mine. it was very comfortable to hunt out of.

Plus it can be moved around, if needed.

OP, do not forget to invest in a good treestand safety system (harness and life line).

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    Plus it can be moved around, if needed.

OP, do not forget to invest in a good treestand safety system (harness and life line).
    homemade blind.. not required.

Homemade elevated stand.. yup.

Btw.. most accidents happen on homemade elevated stands.

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    Shoddy Shack

IMG_0288.jpg Heres the shoddiest shack we have for a reference. You can tie up about 1200 in a nice one, I don't like to put that much into them but they are nice to get into when its raining or during a Nw wind. In the woods I just use as many cheap ladder stands as I can. We have about 25 woods stands and about 6 box stands at any given time.

hi3cho

Ultimate Member
    Nov 16, 2012
    Edgemere
    Thanks for the input. For a little more information. As I said, my initial thought was to go with a 2 man ladder stand to be comfortable and moveable, and what I thought to be the normal. Since my buddy said they use permanent box elevated blinds I guess you would call them, that's what I am going with. I don't need it to mask movement but it does help. It also will help with the weather which I don't necessarily need but can't hurt. Also my boys are young and when they are a little older, the box blind will be good for them to hunt with me starting out. I would be bow/xbow/rifle/ML hunting.

I don't want to cheapout and have to rebuild it in a few years, but I also don't want to overbuild it either. I am thinking 2x3's and Painted 3/8" plywood for walls and 3/4" for floor. Studs every 24" I guess. I am thinking 6x6 so I could have me and both boys if needed. I also have a climber I can use to move spots if need be; with harness and lifeline.

CSHS

Apr 21, 2015
    We have 5 that are 4x4. Enclosed with homemade windows. Most elevated about 4'. Good for rifle. A little tight for crossbow, if you use that, I'd probably go 5x or 6x. Masks movement, scent and keeps you warm, esp if you add a little buddy heater.

If you're overlooking a field it's the way to go. I could send detailed pics after memorial day.

Derwood

Ultimate Member
    Jun 2, 2011
    DC area
    If you are hunting a wooded area, I recommend putting up a lot of ladder stands rather than one or two "Cadillac" stands. That's what we do at my club. We have four guys who hunt a 50 acre property every year and I'm going to put up our seventh and eighth ladder stands in a few weeks. It gives us more options depending on the time of season, wind direction, sun direction, number of hunters out, etc. The deer don't seem to mind the metal ladders at all and I never have problems with them busting me since I sit still and deer don't usually look up.

hi3cho

Ultimate Member
    Nov 16, 2012
    Edgemere
    If you are hunting a wooded area, I recommend putting up a lot of ladder stands rather than one or two "Cadillac" stands. That's what we do at my club. We have four guys who hunt a 50 acre property every year and I'm going to put up our seventh and eighth ladder stands in a few weeks. It gives us more options depending on the time of season, wind direction, sun direction, number of hunters out, etc. The deer don't seem to mind the metal ladders at all and I never have problems with them busting me since I sit still and deer don't usually look up.

I am not sure how the club works in terms of how many stands each hunter is allowed to put up. I like the idea of multiple stands but not sure what they allow. They guys I do know in the club only hunt BP and Rifle so I may be able to use their stands to vary locations if I bow hunt. I have a climber so I can also always use that if my stand is not good for that day.

I like the idea of being able to move a ladder stand but I also like the idea of being enclosed for weather, especially because it would let my boys to be able to go with me at an earlier age.

foxtrapper

Ultimate Member
    Sep 11, 2007
    Havre de Grace
    Ladder stands can get stolen, yes, even if chained with a big fat padlock.

I had to go the wooden blind route, and yes I have to get the deer coming to that location, thank goodness for baiting allowed on private land. Also thinning the woods out behind there to create brush and bedding areas.

My dad who is 70 made the frame. It's 8x8 by 8 tall where you sit. Sits right on the ground, no holes dug. He found a pretty level spot. Was a bummer it could not be put up where my stolen stand was, that was even better habitat, but too far to haul the wood. He premade the base frame with screws, marking every piece, then took apart and hauled to the site, then put back together, and added to it. Tarps were then draped over with slots cut in. I want to use plywood or something instead, but can do that later.

Attachments

• huntingblindbase.jpg
      huntingblindbase.jpg
      63.9 KB · Views: 95
    • huntingblinda.jpg
      huntingblinda.jpg
      110.8 KB · Views: 94
    • landblindb.jpg
      landblindb.jpg
      115.9 KB · Views: 103

foxtrapper

Ultimate Member
    Sep 11, 2007
    Havre de Grace
    and yeah, deer started coming in, but never in daylight when I was hunting...

Attachments

• 3bucks.jpg
      3bucks.jpg
      83.6 KB · Views: 89
    • 5deer8ptbuck.jpg
      5deer8ptbuck.jpg
      81.8 KB · Views: 91

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members