• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Wadester19

Apr 20, 2009
    Walkersville, MD
    Hey everyone I'm fairly new to the gun scene, mostly because I'm broke right now. First and only gun I've bought was my Mossberg 500 and I love it but now I'm ready for something new. Been wanting an AR-15 for quite a while now and doing a lot of research and saving money so I think its time to buy.

At first I thought about building my own piece by piece but now I'm thinking about buying a seperate completed lower and upper to my liking. I want to go with the Spikes lower but haven't decided on an upper yet.

Just wondering if anyone has any input on parts they prefer over others, which are better quality, what I will want to buy in the future that I maybe cant afford right now haha...also if anyone could recommend a good upper for a decent price, nothing outrageous in price.

Any FFL dealers that are better to work with? I don't really care for the ones in the Frederick area because they don't seem too friendly unless your an expert on what your buying. I'm looking to buy my lower ASAP and have no problems taking a drive to make it happen.

Looking forward to being on this forum and attending events and learning what I need to know.

fivepointstar

Thank you MD-Goodbye
    Apr 28, 2008
    3rd Rock from the Sun

Wadester19

Apr 20, 2009
    Walkersville, MD
    Money is only an issue at a certain point, I want to spend around a $1000 maybe a little more and have a good solid rifle to start with. Of course I already have tons of upgrades I will purchase for it, but those will come in time.

Fivepoint, that DTI looks like a nice deal but it says "not for sale in MD" so how could I get a hold of that if I was going to buy it?
    Also, did they say how they got to handpick the CMMG's by any chance?

Thanks for the replies

Last edited:

Wadester19

Apr 20, 2009
    Walkersville, MD
    Seems like everyone likes those handpicked CMMG's after doing a quick search on ARFcom, no real problems with them at all...Idk if I can pass that up, good way to start and I will have money left for a few upgrades.

Wadester19

Apr 20, 2009
    Walkersville, MD
    Yea I've been to Glade Valley, they had a huge wait on lowers and nothing for uppers...plus they didn't really offer any alternative to try and get my business or help me order one, which I didn't care for.

sean05

May 20, 2008
    Frederick, MD
    Have you checked out Glade Valley yet? I've seen lowers for sale there, so maybe they have upper components as well. Plus they're right down the street from you.

I didn't have much luck with Glade Valley either. I only have been in there a handful of time and haven't had much luck.

CHUNKERMD

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2009
    West MD
    Welcome to the forum. Did you try Bob @ Gunrunners in Frederick? I have had good experience with him always. 301-662-5912

fivepointstar

Thank you MD-Goodbye
    Apr 28, 2008
    3rd Rock from the Sun
    WELCOME!!!

if $$ is an issue CMMG has a great deal right now AR's
    http://cmmginc.secure-mall.com/shop/?cart=1932031&cat=161&

I've been reading about them on ARFcom and its a great dea. A few guys on ARFcom also got handpicked for an additional fee and the ended up with brand new CMMG rifles. Price is AMAZING!!!

Otherwise AIM had DTI @ $669. but the better deal is CMMG IMO
    http://www.aimsurplus.com/acatalog/DEL-TON_DTI-4_.223_5.56_Rifle.html

Money is only an issue at a certain point, I want to spend around a $1000 maybe a little more and have a good solid rifle to start with. Of course I already have tons of upgrades I will purchase for it, but those will come in time.

Fivepoint, that DTI looks like a nice deal but it says "not for sale in MD" so how could I get a hold of that if I was going to buy it?
    Also, did they say how they got to handpick the CMMG's by any chance?

Thanks for the replies

Seems like everyone likes those handpicked CMMG's after doing a quick search on ARFcom, no real problems with them at all...Idk if I can pass that up, good way to start and I will have money left for a few upgrades.

AIM Surplus would replace the 30rd mag with a 20 rd mag, you should be OK then. I know others have addressed this issue with them in the past.

As far as CMMG, I think when you order teh AR, there is an option to "handpick". I've never ordered from them but according to ARFcom buyers there is. I'd call them when you order

amish

Ultimate Member
    Aug 4, 2008
    Fredneck
    For learning about what to look for in an AR-15:
    http://forums.officer.com/showthread.php?t=81462

For Frederick dealers... I recommend 3R. They used to have a shop in Frederick, but now Ron works out of the basement of his home in Hagerstown. I ordered a custom RRA through him last year. He is very friendly and appreciates your business. (240) 313-4936.

I've heard Gun Runners in downtown Frederick is good, but I personally haven't been there.

sean05

May 20, 2008
    Frederick, MD
    AIM Surplus would replace the 30rd mag with a 20 rd mag, you should be OK then. I know others have addressed this issue with them in the past.

As far as CMMG, I think when you order teh AR, there is an option to "handpick". I've never ordered from them but according to ARFcom buyers there is. I'd call them when you order

Thanks. I will get ahold of AIM Surplus and see if I can get a 30rd swapped for a 20. You are also correct with CMMG; there is an option in the cart to select handpicked. It is an extra 25$ I believe.

joppaj

Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    Can I make a suggestion? For what it's worth, I'd get a good .22 rifle before I get that AR. It's so much easier to learn good fundamentals from the begining than to correct bad habits. A reliable, accurate .22 is an awesome training/ learning platform. BTW, welcome to the site!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    bara4033

Latest threads

Top Bottom