• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • noahhh

Jan 28, 2009
    Arnold,Md
    Where are they located in H'Town? Are they open yet? I hope they will carry a more down-to-earth selection than the really high end stuff they have switched their Hancock store over to.

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    My one BIL went there recently. Said one exit east of the Hagerstown outlets. Really liked it, said most of their guns are out in the open to fondle.

I like their high-end focus. Plenty of shops have the normal win/rem/sav/etc lineup. Nice to see some more 'exotic' stuff occasionally.

BFMIN

Ultimate Member
    Nov 5, 2010
    Eastern shore
    Dual highway at the point where it stops being a divided road (dual highway) & becomes Rt 40 again. Used to be a Honda dealer before it closed up.

Kiev88cm

KB3ZKX
    Sep 24, 2009
    Remember the "old Hendershots"? sort like going into an old country store. Well now it's a mini Cabela's wanna be. I find that there prices were always high but now I can't figure who they're catering too. Checked it out a couple of weekends ago, and will not be back. Just my 2 cents.

obiii

Jun 2, 2010
    Allegany County, MD
    They are catering to "Yuppies". Closet Liberals that still have a shred of intelligence left. Once they changed their decor in Hancock, I am sure that the number of visitors dropped dramatically, (as we are mostly Rednecks here bouts), so it was a matter of self preservation to move to a more metropolitan area. I prefer the old small gunshops, like Dugans in Hancock and Hafers in Williamsport. Just my opinion.

Silverlode

Ultimate Member
    Aug 16, 2010
    Frederick
    I have purchased four firearms from them in the last decade or so. In each case except one, the price was better (sometimes far better) than any shops carrying the same items in this area. As to who they cater to, I haven't been in the new shop, but I have never in probably two dozen visits seen anyone I would refer to as a yuppie. They obviously have some very high end clients that turn to them for expensive guns for expensive safaris. I have never been in the place without seeing double rifles costing tens of thousands. Their customer service has always been fantastic, once even serving me on a day they were closed for inventory.

Chasenificent

Designated Collector
    Jul 28, 2011
    Hagerstown MD
    popped in yesterday to see what the fuss was about. They have a **** ton long rifles, a few ARs on display, mostly from precision here in hagerstown. They had a few colt and bushmaster AR's. Handguns they had a bunch of revolvers and some handguns my limited knowledge base didn't recognize. I did not see any Glocks or Sigs, but they could have been blocked by the people doing paperwork at the counter. Their ammo selection is better than most gunshops around town, except Hafer's. Prices aren't bad, but nobody really beats the internet. They have an area which looks like its for a gunsmith, but its kinda small. Their target selection that I saw was meager and easily beat out by Hafers and even wal-mart. When I visited here was at least 6 people filling out gun paperwork. All the staff seemed busy with that, but would break from that to ask if I needed help. They had a few rifles in there which priced in the 10,000 dollar range. All in all it was a nice shop, good location, but I think its a bit too busy with anyone and everyone passing through. I like Hafers because i know who works there and they have taken the time to know what I'm into and I frequently get messages on new stock and deals which suit my interests. Its like Cheers, sometimes you want to go where everybody knows your name.

engineerbrian

JMB fan club
    Sep 3, 2010
    Fredneck
    I havent been to Hendershots in about 10 years. I'll have to swing by and check out the new store. I really liked the old store in Hancock, that place was wall to wall guns!

steveh326

Ultimate Member
    Mar 23, 2012
    Mt. Airy
    so is it my understanding that Hendershots in Hancock is closed and they opened a store in Hagerstown? I grew up in Hancock, moved away when I was 22 or so, but I have a lot of fond memories drooling over just about everything in the old store. I bought my 1st guns there.

browning guy

SCRUFFY NERF HERDER
    Dec 10, 2009
    Essex
    I picked up a smith and wesson 610 from them last week. I loved the old shop it was very warm and country store feeling. Now the new shop is modern in comparison and it shows they are working on a higher end crowd. Now I showed up after work in my uniform and dirty pick up truck was treated great very polite and professional service!!

I was buying a $850.00 had gun and was treated like the guy next to me buying $12,000 dollar rifle. As a matter of fact Steve W. who handled my paper work gets a big a+ in my book for his great service and deserves to be mentioned buy name as a great salesman and professional gun guy!

Treeguy

Jan 14, 2010
    Boonsboro
    I am going to stop by today to check it out..but from the door i can see a full mount of a Zebra WTF

I bet the market they are trying to reach is the yuppie 'needs a gun' after watching Discovery channel..

I don't expect to buy much of anything from a gun shop catering to the rich and famous

Speed3

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    MD
    I bet the market they are trying to reach is the yuppie 'needs a gun' after watching Discovery channel..

I don't expect to buy much of anything from a gun shop catering to the rich and famous

I got the impression that they are trying to corner the high end market in the area, if there is in fact one?? It is very nice in the store and seem very friendly but they aren't cheap by any stretch. I saw a box of .308 Federal gold medal match ammo for $44.99 + tax on the shelf, ouch! I paid $24 including tax at the gun show for mine.

engineerbrian

JMB fan club
    Sep 3, 2010
    Fredneck
    I got the impression that they are trying to corner the high end market in the area, if there is in fact one?? It is very nice in the store and seem very friendly but they aren't cheap by any stretch. I saw a box of .308 Federal gold medal match ammo for $44.99 + tax on the shelf, ouch! I paid $24 including tax at the gun show for mine.

Years ago there was a shop in Bethesda that tried that too. IIRC it was called the Gentlemen Hunter. Apparently it didn’t work out so well :rolleyes:

Engage Armament

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Jun 30, 2010
    Rockville, MD
    Years ago there was a shop in Bethesda that tried that too. IIRC it was called the Gentlemen Hunter. Apparently it didn’t work out so well :rolleyes:

Actually the guy who owned Gentleman Hunter just got tired of it. He apparently did pretty well and whenever we get a high end shotty we still call him. Bass Pro hired him to head up a proposed high end shotgun/big game hunting thing when he closed up his shop in Bethesda but he said they wanted a 40% mark up and a 30 day turnover on the merchandise which just wasnt feasible for shotguns and rifles of that sort of quality.

RW2111

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Industry Partner
    Apr 2, 2012
    Hagerstown MD
    Nice shop and they are trying to get into the "Black Gun" scene more, as for all the other local guns shops no need to rip on any of them we are all here for some reason fellas GUNS there all good in my opinion

HeatSeeker

Ultimate Member
    Jun 18, 2012
    Maryland
    I hope they set some standard hours and stick to them. I would always go through Hancock on my way to Greenridge and the place was always closed. I mean closed at like 2PM on a Saturday. I loved that place and tried on several occasions to take my son to see the nicest gun shop I have ever been too, but could never get in the door.

RW2111

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Industry Partner
    Apr 2, 2012
    Hagerstown MD
    I hope they set some standard hours and stick to them. I would always go through Hancock on my way to Greenridge and the place was always closed. I mean closed at like 2PM on a Saturday. I loved that place and tried on several occasions to take my son to see the nicest gun shop I have ever been too, but could never get in the door.

There hours are more reliable now make sure you go in and check them out>

steveh326

Ultimate Member
    Mar 23, 2012
    Mt. Airy
    There hours are more reliable now make sure you go in and check them out>

I came thru Hagerstown Sat evening and swung by the new Hendershots to check it out, but I got there around 5:20 and they had closed at 5, so some other time for me. I was in Hancock for a family reunion on Sunday and my BIL told me that before they moved to Hagersown, the store had changed considerably from the store I knew since as a kid growing up in Hancock. They had a buzzer on the door and had to buzz you in, $3k+ safari rifles and mostly high end stuff. While I was in high schol I bought my 1st shotgun there (used 870), and later a used 357 for my 1st pistol. That was a long time ago but I still have fond memories of that small town store.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    guitarsit

Latest threads

Top Bottom