New Hampshire Resident With Carry Permit Wins Court Case In Massachusetts Over Carry Across State Lines

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    Big win in Massachusetts court over a New Hampshire resident with a New Hampshire carry permit carrying in Massachusetts. Massachusetts law found unconstitutional under Bruen.

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    So did the court force Massachusetts to accept the New Hampshire permit?

Could this lead to national reciprocity, as with driver's licences, in another 10 or 20 years?

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    So did the court force Massachusetts to accept the New Hampshire permit?

Could this lead to national reciprocity, as with driver's licences, in another 10 or 20 years?
    The court issued a Memorandum of Decision on the Defendant's Motion to Dismiss so he dismissed the charges against the New Hampshire resident with a New Hampshire carry permit who was charged with carrying in Massachusetts without a permit finding that the Massachusetts law was unconstitutional under Bruen.

slsc98

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    May 24, 2012
    Escaped MD-stan to WNC Smokies
    Wait. What is that sound I hear?

Sounds like corks popping out of champagne bottles. Y’all hear that, also?

Oh, sheeeeeet, that’s the sound of Leftist Liberals’ heads Exploding! :lol2:

(Those extra loud ones were $oro$’ and Obummer’s!)

whistlersmother

Peace through strength
    Jan 29, 2013
    Fulton, MD
    If a trial judge tosses the charges because the law is unconstitutional, can the state appeal the decision and possibly re-instate charges if higher court overturns trial judge?

I suppose it depends if jeopardy were attached?

I know if he's found "not guilty", the state has no further recourse.

Last edited:

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    I presume this only impacts Mass, right? It’s lovely to see, but won’t change anything here, per se. MA would have to appeal this up through a coupe layers of higher courts - over years - before it would have broader impact.

In the meantime, MA will do an MDGA and try to thread the needle (or lazily, spitefully not) and trot out a fresh law that will take time and dollars to slap back down. Look at the case here in MoCo … tick tock, rights on fire as usual.

Great outcome for the plaintiff and folks up there (temporarily, anyway), but the try-again-run-out-the-clock game is just getting started, just like it is here.

tourrider

Grumpy
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 9, 2009
    Corry, PA
    I’ll have to read this closer for precedence.

I live in NW PA, 2.5 miles from the NY state line. All my brothers and other family live on NY. They all have NY CCW and PA non-res CCW, but there is no way for me to get a NY CCW. Too many times I cross the state line without thinking that I am packing.

It would be so nice to break down that barrier.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    Sounds like it only effects this one single defendent in Massachusetts.

It could be used to support a future argument in favor of interstate carry rights, but not much else.

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    The Camel just stuck his nose under the tent flap. But a lower court properly, IMHO, applied Bruen in a case that has significance to gun owners all over the country.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom