• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Norton

NRA Endowment Member, Rifleman
    Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    http://www.newswise.com/articles/view/559490/?sc=dwhn

Associate Professor Timothy Kraft, Ph.D., has developed a new gunsight design that relies on subconscious ability. Opti-sight, a UAB-protected innovation, updates a pistol-aiming device that has remained unchanged for more than a century. Opti-sight promises to reduce the time law enforcement, professional and amateur shooters need for target practice to improve marksmanship.

donliv

Oct 25, 2008
    Bel Air
    Didn't a company already try this, took a bunch of pre-order money and then never delivered? I cant remember the name though...

Edit: Found it...http://www.suresight.com/. I remember they screwed a bunch of people on XDTalk. Seems like the same principle.

Eudaimonia

Sep 1, 2009
    Suresight doesn't seem as precise as Kraft's version. Besides having all the good looks of a road cone, it looks dedicated to defensive targeting (not necessarily a bad thing) and probably wouldn't work to well for the Olympic shooters.

I wonder if there is going to be a patent fight.

DD214

Founder
    Apr 26, 2005
    St Mary's County
    Suresight doesn't seem as precise as Kraft's version. Besides having all the good looks of a road cone, it looks dedicated to defensive targeting (not necessarily a bad thing) and probably wouldn't work to well for the Olympic shooters.

I agree, I just thought it was funny that the article made it sound like he came up with this radical new idea that had not been done before, when in reality his sight is just a more precise version of the Suresight concept. Suresight even explains the science of it on their website, which may be where Dr. Kraft got his idea ;)...

Attachments

• trisight.jpg
      trisight.jpg
      43.7 KB · Views: 323

boricuamaximus

Ultimate Member
    Dec 27, 2008
    so now the front sight has to be sharpened. Now you can kill someone by throwing a gun and the front sight turns into a high velocity knife.

Can we stop the senseless gun violence? This has no puropose unless you plan on sniping deer from 50 yards with your sights.

scribe556

Apr 3, 2009
    The Gestalt principle has been around a long, long time. It seems like a gimmick that requires real and unbiased performance testing as compared to other sights on the same gun to find out for sure.

I did a pistol sight study years ago using a computer simulation to find out what config and found some interesting things. I compared the iron sights to dots, post and dot, the Glock sights, etc.

Scribe556

Splitter

R.I.P.
    Jun 25, 2008
    Westminster, MD

I guess it's all in how you look at it...so to speak lol. I see the suresite system as potentially helping my target shooting skills (a lot), but I'm not sure I would pick them up as quickly and be able to align everything quickly in a defensive situation.

The sites that help me the most in quick target acquisition are the two dot Heinie sites....just stack the dots to make an "8". Not as accurate with them, but quicker.

I'm not sure I would be good with Professor Kraft's sites in that it would be hard to judge the vertical alignment on that front site. The apex of the rear triangle is imagined if I am reading things right.

But hell, the proof would be trying them all and I would LOVE to be able to do that.

Splitter

JWLaRue

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    Nov 23, 2009
    Annapolis, MD
    Meh....

Seems like nothing could be easier or more intuitive than a holographic sight. Put the dot on target and shoot.

-Jeff

mrozowjj

Ultimate Member
    Apr 13, 2008
    Seattle-ish WA
    I have an M40-A1. Most people who pick it up love the sights. I know I do. Put the point of the triangle where you want the bullet to go, and as long as you do your part it goes right there. :D

I have the M9-A1 and I'm a bad shot with other handguns but I can actually shoot with that gun. I attribute it mostly to those sights. I need to send mine back to get serviced though as it seems like the trigger won't always reset.

smores

Creepy-Ass Cracker
    Feb 27, 2007
    Falls Church
    I have the M9-A1 and I'm a bad shot with other handguns but I can actually shoot with that gun. I attribute it mostly to those sights. I need to send mine back to get serviced though as it seems like the trigger won't always reset.

Definitely not good. I hear SAI is top-notch in terms of warranty work. Steyr Mannlicher is still very much in business globally, even if US distribution has been screwy over the last few years.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Davidbanner

Latest threads

Top Bottom