• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Machodoc

Old Guy
    Jun 27, 2012
    Just South of Chuck County
    I posted this in the C&R group, but it fits here, too ...

"Guns and Ammo" has just put up their store banner in King George, VA. They are modifying the building now, and hope to be open around October 23rd. The store will be on Hwy. 301 south, about 8 miles below the Harry Nice bridge (Potomac River bridge).

I talked with the owner today, and he said that he's going to have to take "baby steps" in building his business, but he plans to have new and used stuff, and knows that there's an interest in C&R guns in the area. This guy has been doing gun shows and selling out of his house for years, so he's not new to the business.

He does know the laws and will have no problem selling guns to Marylanders, but some types will have to go through a MD FFL. He's the kind of guy that I think you'd appreciate.

I really look forward to having a shop about ten minutes away from me. I talked with him about becoming an IP here, and he seemed receptive to the idea. I also think that he'd be happy to support group buys, etc. The only disappointing thing that I heard from him is that he's not terribly keen on carrying much in the way of reloading materials, having heard from other dealers that you get a lot tied up in stock and shelf space, but don't sell a whole lot of it. (Yeah, that's true, but I also told him that Green Top's approach is to bring people in the door with stuff like that, and they'll usually leave with more than just the reloading supplies they came to get.)

Cheers!

Last edited:

vmc_jap

Aug 5, 2012
    Is this shop still scheduled to open later on this month? I googled it, and it didn't popped up.

Machodoc

Old Guy
    Jun 27, 2012
    Is this shop still scheduled to open later on this month? I googled it, and it didn't popped up.

When I talked with the owner (the day they were putting their banner up), I believe he said that he was shooting for the 23rd (bad pun). Not certain how accurate that date is, since he's getting the space set up, working through the usual building permits, etc. He also needs to get his FFL address transferred over to the new site.

On a related note, Green Top (near Richmond) is now opened in the old Gander Mountain building just off I-95. They are planning a grand opening from Oct. 18-28 ... lots of sweepstakes, prizes, and giveaways planned. Over $20K in prizes being given away during the grand opening.

vmc_jap

Aug 5, 2012
    Thanks for the feedback... Glad to know there is another option, unfortunately is further away. I will be willing to make the trip anyway. I need more "normal" capacity mags; they shouldn't be called hi-cap mags... unless you are talking about drums ;)

SOMDSHOOT

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 18, 2009
    Indian Head
    I posted this in the C&R group, but it fits here, too ...

"Guns and Ammo" has just put up their store banner in King George, VA. They are modifying the building now, and hope to be open around October 23rd. The store will be on Hwy. 301 south, about 8 miles below the Harry Nice bridge (Potomac River bridge).

I talked with the owner today, and he said that he's going to have to take "baby steps" in building his business, but he plans to have new and used stuff, and knows that there's an interest in C&R guns in the area. This guy has been doing gun shows and selling out of his house for years, so he's not new to the business.

He does know the laws and will have no problem selling guns to Marylanders, but some types will have to go through a MD FFL. He's the kind of guy that I think you'd appreciate.

I really look forward to having a shop about ten minutes away from me. I talked with him about becoming an IP here, and he seemed receptive to the idea. I also think that he'd be happy to support group buys, etc. The only disappointing thing that I heard from him is that he's not terribly keen on carrying much in the way of reloading materials, having heard from other dealers that you get a lot tied up in stock and shelf space, but don't sell a whole lot of it. (Yeah, that's true, but I also told him that Green Top's approach is to bring people in the door with stuff like that, and they'll usually leave with more than just the reloading supplies they came to get.)

Cheers!

Tell him I live in Indian Head Maryland and stopped reading your post right at this point. Moving on now.

Machodoc

Old Guy
    Jun 27, 2012
    Tell him I live in Indian Head Maryland and stopped reading your post right at this point. Moving on now.

Yep. I will! Maybe he'll see the light.

Also, since I posted the original message about this place opening, I learned that the owner and his wife are good friends of a close friend of mine (the wife worked with him for years). Maybe we can be a persuasive force in favor of reloading supplies.

rickyp

Ultimate Member
    Sep 13, 2009
    I too was going to say he should carry a good line of reloading stuff.

The issue with most of the venders taht have a lot ties up in space and money is they
    1) have a overly high price tag
    2) they are not stocking what people are needing

peope are goign to buy where they can get things cheapest. If the new shop doesnt think he will make all his money for the week selling a few boxes of bullets and stay competive with mail order places he will move the reloading stuff

He should think of the reloading stuff to get people into the shop, If he orders enough powder and primers he could "eat" the haz-mat and shipping fees and keep the sale price relitive low.

Here is another idea to help get people into the shop, take off the price of the bridge for MD customers when they buy something say over $30 or 1/2 the price of the bridge for $15. do this for the first few months, Yes ti will cut into his profit when things are already tight but if he gets people in and they start buying things and become return customers it will work out in the long run.

Machodoc

Old Guy
    Jun 27, 2012
    Here is another idea to help get people into the shop, take off the price of the bridge for MD customers when they buy something say over $30 or 1/2 the price of the bridge for $15. do this for the first few months, Yes ti will cut into his profit when things are already tight but if he gets people in and they start buying things and become return customers it will work out in the long run.

I think that's a great idea! I've had the same thought about places in La Plata and Waldorf when I've been in the market for something like a major appliance. I'd shop there, but when I have to tack on another $8 for the bridge (van with trailer), I think more about places on the VA side of the bridge. I hate that.

SOMDSHOOT

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 18, 2009
    Indian Head
    Yep. I will! Maybe he'll see the light.

Also, since I posted the original message about this place opening, I learned that the owner and his wife are good friends of a close friend of mine (the wife worked with him for years). Maybe we can be a persuasive force in favor of reloading supplies.

Maybe he should join MDS and read this thread. It would be in his best interest to hear what folks have to say.

Machodoc

Old Guy
    Jun 27, 2012
    OK ... the shop is now open. They are calling themselves, "Big Dog Outfitters".

They have a pretty decent amount of stock in, but will be adding more as the business grows. The owner seems pretty responsive to customer requests, and he said that he had three requests today for reloading materials, so he's giving that serious consideration for the future. As with any new mom&pop business, he's going to have to build the place up slowly, though.

For now, though, he's got some really nice stuff. The owner has a heavy interest in Tac. firearms, so there's plenty of that sort of thing. They also have a nice selection of shotguns and some basic black powder rifles. A strong point is that they are big believers in youth shooting, so they have lots of intro rifles and archery gear for kids.

There's a very good handgun selection, the requisite rack of Mosin-Nagant 91/30s (nothing special, but in good condition), lots of ammo ... including surplus stuff for rifles. They've also got Tul ammo in most of the rifle calibers (not Makarov or Tokarev yet, though). It's a nice shop, all in all, and worth a trip across the bridge. They've got room to grow, but they are off to a good start.

Franklin

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Sep 12, 2012
    close to budds creek
    I am happy to see somthing put in there where people can stop. I remember as a kid stoping in to by fireworks there when they still,sold the good stuff and if you said the right words you got to walk back and look at the really good stuff. Saddens me to drive through there and see all the little mom and pop places that closed up. Even up past hornes where all the fixit shops used to be...glad to see it and will be stopping in there. He will get another request for reloading stuff as well....

SOMDSHOOT

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 18, 2009
    Indian Head
    I would love to see the website popup with photos and advertisements. Sounds like this business venture might make a few of us not have to travel to Fredericksburg or Waldorf...

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    GD-3

Latest threads

Top Bottom