• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Fallschirmjaager

Consumer Whore
    Aug 16, 2009
    Airstrip One/MoCo
    I went to the State Police barracks in Rockville on Saturday to complete a transfer of a Vz.61 from CzechPoint, and when I started filling out the white forms, (the one with the yes/no questions, specifically,) I noticed it was slightly different from every other time I've filled one out. There were two major differences, the first being that the "at the time of purchase, are you, the purchaser, under 30 years of age?" question was asked before the statement that "if you have answered yes to any of the above questions, you are prohibited from purchasing a firearm" statement, and the second being that that statement was followed by another "yes/no" block.

Now first of all, how am I supposed to answer a statement with no question mark or even a hint of an inquisitive nature? "If the answer to any of the above questions is yes, you are prohibited from purchasing a firearm. Yes___ No___." I was tempted to check no just to be a dick.

The more important part however is that I am under 30. I checked yes to being under 30, just like I have for my Sig, my Walther, my Styer, my 3 AR's, and my 2 AK's. This time, however, because of the way the new version of the form is worded, checking "yes" to the under 30 question has prohibited me from purchasing a restricted weapon. So they can just DeFacto change the law like that? The police officer at the barracks was just as confused as I, I believe his exact words were "this is ****ing retarded," but he said he couldn't sign off on it without contacting the firearms branch, which of course wasn't open on Saturday. I'm trying again tomorrow, and we'll see what happens, but for any other under 30 shooters who are in the market for a restricted item, heads up, as you might run into this problem.

Has anyone else seen this yet, btw? If so, what was the result? Is it just a poorly constructed form? Or is this some attempt to further restrict our rights without passing legislature, ala BATFE?

novus collectus

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 1, 2005
    Bowie
    It is an extremely badly constructed form is sounds like. YOu are a prohibitted person for the purchase and possession of regulated firearms if you had a conviction as a juvenile which would be a conviction making an adult a prohibited person, but only untill the age of 30. After the age of 30 the person with a juvenile record that bad can now own a regulated firearm. The form should have said "are you under 30 AND have you been convicted as a juvenile of a disqualifying crime if the crime was committed by an adult?"

Fallschirmjaager

Consumer Whore
    Aug 16, 2009
    Airstrip One/MoCo
    That's how it's always been in the past, as the under thirty question has always been part of the form. I believe it has something to do with juvenile mental history as well. The issue is that now with the form being restructured, I am prohibited from purchasing a firearm specifically because I am under 30 years of age. This is a big deal, and at the very least is merrits prompt action by the state to get corrected forms out. I'm especially curious as to whether or not anyone else has encountered this problem, and if and how it was resolved.

Boondock Saint

Ultimate Member
    Dec 11, 2008
    White Marsh
    I'm under 30 and bought a regulated weapon less than a month ago. I gave the "wrong" answer to the question and I was fine. I wouldn't sweat it. :thumbsup:

Fallschirmjaager

Consumer Whore
    Aug 16, 2009
    Airstrip One/MoCo
    So I called MDSP firearms registration branch and got some answers. It wasn't easy to get a human on the phone but once I did they were actually very helpful. Turns out the form I discribed was supposed to be the new form, but was recalled due to this very issue. Not all the departments who received them got the memo apparently. The new and defective form is an 1108. If a dealer or officer gives you one to fill out, politely ask them for the form 107, the old form. They are still valid according to the MDSP firearms branch. If you run into any problems, I got a hold of them by calling 410-653-4500, then choosing option 4 and option 4 again. Hope this helps!

Spot77

Ultimate Member
    May 8, 2005
    Anne Arundel County
    So I called MDSP firearms registration branch and got some answers. It wasn't easy to get a human on the phone but once I did they were actually very helpful. Turns out the form I discribed was supposed to be the new form, but was recalled due to this very issue. Not all the departments who received them got the memo apparently. The new and defective form is an 1108. If a dealer or officer gives you one to fill out, politely ask them for the form 107, the old form. They are still valid according to the MDSP firearms branch. If you run into any problems, I got a hold of them by calling 410-653-4500, then choosing option 4 and option 4 again. Hope this helps!

Thanks for the follow up! :thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    guitarsit

Latest threads

Top Bottom