• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Combloc

Stop Negassing me!!!!!
    Nov 10, 2010
    In a House
    The first ones were called "Special Edition" models and came in a fitted case with an extra barrel, extra links, cleaning kit and some other little extra stuff for 10K. I waited for the base model because I didn't see the point of some of the extra stuff. I will say though that I've already seen some of those sell for 13K. As a pure investment, that's a pretty good return in just a few months.

IMBLITZVT

Ultimate Member
    Apr 20, 2009
    Catonsville, MD
    I thought I saw someone shooting one of these at AGC on Monday, but I could be wrong since I only saw it at a distance. Whatever it was, was FA, and word was it was a trooper.

We don't shoot FA on Mondays... but on Sundays...:)

I have to figure you were talking about me. I have a M16 with a Shrike upper. Its very much modeled after the SAW and uses the same links. Quick change barrel too. Its a $5K upper. So total cost for me was about twice what Combloc has in this semi SAW. Now if you were looking at current prices, its closer to three times what Combloc has in the semi-SAW.

I have mine close to working 100%. I got two light primer hits on this 100rd belt. Thats the last thing I have to figure out. I just get them from time to time. Maybe its the Wolf primers? Don't know yet.

You can see my prototype M192 tripod adapter on this. This Ti Tripod was original for the SAW and M240. Combloc, you should really get one. They are awesome tripods.

I have to figure you were talking about me. I have a M16 with a Shrike upper. Its very much modeled after the SAW and uses the same links. Quick change barrel too. Its a $5K upper. So total cost for me was about twice what Combloc has in this semi SAW. Now if you were looking at current prices, its closer to three times what Combloc has in the semi-SAW.

I have mine close to working 100%. I got two light primer hits on this 100rd belt. Thats the last thing I have to figure out. I just get them from time to time. Maybe its the Wolf primers? Don't know yet.

You can see my prototype M192 tripod adapter on this. This Ti Tripod was original for the SAW and M240. Combloc, you should really get one. They are awesome tripods.

SPLOOSH! :rockon::drool::smoke:

What's the grouping like with that? I'd imagine it would be pretty devastating?

IMBLITZVT

Ultimate Member
    Apr 20, 2009
    Catonsville, MD
    Nice! Any idea where to get a tripod and price? I'd like to have one just because.

You can get them on GB. You should be able to get one under $1K. OOW also has them at a high price. Cheapest I have seen them is $600, which is the one I have. Its really a cool pod and I have my share. Its a M192 tripod.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M192_Lightweight_Ground_Mount

SPLOOSH! :rockon::drool::smoke:
    What's the grouping like with that? I'd imagine it would be pretty devastating?

Well its not fair to compare with me behind the trigger! :innocent0

Frankly I have not really tuned it in that much yet to really know. These uppers are known for having feeding issues, so I have been working them out. I am almost there and I will get it dialed in. Also as you see the tripod has a rough adapter to prove out functionality. When that gets finished, it should really help hold the gun on target. Maybe not sub MOA but they should group well. You can buy this upper and drop it on any semi AR15 upper.

P.S. Combloc, this is the SAW ACOG... its really really nice, even by ACOG standards. On a semi I would not care about the Ring dot reticle as much but I feel like its a must on a FA gun.

Combloc

Stop Negassing me!!!!!
    Nov 10, 2010
    In a House
    I'll be getting either an ELCAn or an ACOG since that's what it would have in service. Besides, the irons are definitely made for combat, not target shooting. I've heard that the ELCAN has had some quality issues but I find that hard to believe. Maybe though. What do you think?

IMBLITZVT

Ultimate Member
    Apr 20, 2009
    Catonsville, MD
    I'll be getting either an ELCAn or an ACOG since that's what it would have in service. Besides, the irons are definitely made for combat, not target shooting. I've heard that the ELCAN has had some quality issues but I find that hard to believe. Maybe though. What do you think?

I will say upfront that for me any MG sight without a ring dot is a waste of time. Crosshairs, or just a center red dot are just inferior in FA. The Eotech style circle dot is the way to go.

That said the ACOG is great except for close up.

Now which Elcan? The Spectre DR or M145? To me the M145 is ugly but works ok for semi applications. For FA, the center dot seems lacking. I think I take the ACOG hands down. Now the DR with its 1x-4x flip... this had me really tempted. The ability to shoot close was really nice considering I will shoot often at 50 yards. Frankly this was the only other optics that I really considered for my Shrike. I was tempted but at almost twice what I paid for the ACOG, I still felt like it was inferior to the ACOG circle ring for FA applications. Price was not really a factor for me but I might have gone DR over ACOG for a semi. I bet you could keep better groups with the standard thin cross hairs under most normal range conditions if only shooting semi.

I don't regret going ACOG but I will say that Spectre DR was really really nice!

Combloc

Stop Negassing me!!!!!
    Nov 10, 2010
    In a House
    I'm leaning towards the M145 with the M240/249 reticle simply because that seems to be what I usually see on them in photographs. Being a collector type, I like to keep things at least somewhat as issued. I know I can't go wrong with the ACOG though. Either way, I'd like to find a used military issue one but I know that, while it's not impossible, it's kind of unlikely. I don't need to go very fancy because I just plink at the range.

Boss94

Ultimate Member
    Feb 15, 2013

Unless you want the cycle rate that high. Id throw in a hydraulic buffer. I have 2 full auto lowers with the Aries uppers on them , And the hydraulic buffer makes all the difference in the world with both cycle rate and reliability . The 1 gun I have has about 12000 rds running only wolf and Talua without a hiccup .

IMBLITZVT

Ultimate Member
    Apr 20, 2009
    Catonsville, MD
    I'm leaning towards the M145 with the M240/249 reticle simply because that seems to be what I usually see on them in photographs. Being a collector type, I like to keep things at least somewhat as issued. I know I can't go wrong with the ACOG though. Either way, I'd like to find a used military issue one but I know that, while it's not impossible, it's kind of unlikely. I don't need to go very fancy because I just plink at the range.

Yeah I can understand that. Nothing wrong with the M145. Just kind of ugly IMO and I am sure the reticle on the ACOG is nicer. However for the range... sure it would be good. Of course irons are too.

Unless you want the cycle rate that high. Id throw in a hydraulic buffer. I have 2 full auto lowers with the Aries uppers on them , And the hydraulic buffer makes all the difference in the world with both cycle rate and reliability . The 1 gun I have has about 12000 rds running only wolf and Talua without a hiccup .

I am using the H3 buffer it comes with. Do you have any link issues with them jamming. What Hydraulic buffer are you using?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom