• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rascal

Ultimate Member
    Feb 15, 2013
    Does anyone have information on why D.C. may have decided to require a permit from any other jurisdiction?
    Just to be difficult?
    Because they don't trust their own ability to do background checks?

for non residents to get a permit in DC? A number of states require you to have a permit in your own state before they will issue you a non res permit in theirs.

For example Pennsylvania: for any other state resident to get a non resident permit in the Pa. they have to have a permit in their home state. EG Maryland and NJ residents without G/C in their state could not get one in Pa.

So whether they are reading 2332.1 (f)1.2.3. like that I don't know. What I can say is I was told to the effect: You are a DC resident so this does not apply to you even if you have permits in other states

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    Except DC does not require a home state permit. They require a permit from ANY state.

I can't get a MD permit but I have many permits from other states which I will use to get my DC permit.

Attachments

• pistols.jpg
      pistols.jpg
      75.3 KB · Views: 177

GTOGUNNER

IANAL, PATRIOT PICKET!!
    Patriot Picket
    Dec 16, 2010
    Carroll County!
    I have several permits, but when I applied for DC I didn't give a copy of my Pa. PA permit looks a little busy, and I didn't think it would copy well. When I was in DC they asked what other permits I had , they wanted a copy of the Pa. Told me they had no problem enlarging it to look it over.

Sent from the 3rd Rock

Stoveman

TV Personality
    Patriot Picket
    Sep 2, 2013
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    I made a stop at 300 Indiana Ave today to renew my permit. Had to park about six blocks away by one of the museums on the Mall.

Left my truck at 11:58, got back into my truck at 12:53. Probably inside MPD for all of 40 minutes. Didn't even need the max parking time on the meter...

songlaw

Aug 2, 2017
    Clarksville
    DC Law Course

Stoveman:

Where did you take the DC Law course? I am trying not to have to go into DC to take the course.

If anyone knows of an approved course in or near Howard County, please let me know.

Stoveman

TV Personality
    Patriot Picket
    Sep 2, 2013
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    During my brief wait there were a couple of other people who came to pick up applications, I guess they have never heard of Al Gore's amazing internet, one of which was a well dressed black female. Officer King was working on my permit and the other officer, a white female Sergeant Terrell was handling the walk ups.

BF: "Is this where we go for the guns?"
    ST: "Are you wanting to register a firearm for the home or get a carry permit?"
    BF: "Both. If I can. For my home and because I have the domestic violence."

Now she didn't articulate well, but I knew what she meant.

ST: "Domestic violence is a prohibiting factor."
    BF: "Well then I just want to register a gun."
    ST: "Domestic violence is a prohibiting factor for that also."

At this point I interjected and told the officer that I believed what the lady meant was that SHE was the VICTIM of domestic violence and not the other way around and that she wanted a carry permit to protect herself.

BF: "Exactly. Why can't you tell me what he just said, you ain't no damn help!"
    ST: "Well I don't know what he's telling you."

:sad20:

The lady took the forms and instructions and then I told her about the training requirements and how the process worked. She was a little rough around the edges but very pleasant to me.

W2D

Ultimate Member
    Dec 2, 2015
    Escaped MD for FL
    Except DC does not require a home state permit. They require a permit from ANY state.

I can't get a MD permit but I have many permits from other states which I will use to get my DC permit.

So when does paragraph 3, right after the underlined section, apply?

Sent from my bunker using Tapatalk Pro

rmbstyle

Sep 22, 2012
    Anne Arundel County
    After reading the application instructions, it seems that I would be exempt from the 2-hour range training since I completed an NRA firearms safety course back in 2010, correct?

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    DC generally requires training be completed within 2 years prior to applying for the permit.

You can try to use it but there is no guarantee.

rmbstyle

Sep 22, 2012
    Anne Arundel County
    DC generally requires training be completed within 2 years prior to applying for the permit.

You can try to use it but there is no guarantee.

Okay, thanks.

It's hard for me to justify the cost of the training and application fee when the majority of places around downtown DC are either federal property or prohibited. Seems like the only place you can carry is on the sidewalk.

rmbstyle

Sep 22, 2012
    Anne Arundel County
    Bad stuff usually happens on the sidewalk, not inside Federal Bldgs.

That is true, but if you are taking a trip to DC for the day, you are very limited in the places you can go even if it's not a federal building. I was surprised to see that DC bans the possession while in the METRO considering that VA and MD doesn't.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Shive62

Latest threads

Top Bottom