• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • zoostation

, ,
    Jan 28, 2007
    Abingdon
    Colt rail gun online 1050 plus 300 for cerakote. I mean besides the g10 grips too match you could make it happen for less... Right ?

No, the rail gun is very nice but there's a difference between it and the MARSOC. I've seen what went into the development of this product and it's considerable. The mil spec internals are going to be different too and the hand working done in the custom shop alone is worth the price difference. Those guys are good.

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    Some say the external extractor is a negative in the 1911. There were a few threads on another site about this topic with some big names contributing to the discussion. If the external extractor utilizes proper geometry relative to the case and the extractor pivot point, things are okay, hence S&W and Sig. Design it wrong and you have problems as Kimber did. So the Sig external extractors are good, but some folks have a problem with change and can't get by it.

The video indicated the civilian guns were more precisely fitted by hand than the Marine pieces. This was my reference to the Sig 1912's, which for the most part are nicely toleranced. With good cnc machining now-a-days, you can get good tolerances without need for a large amount of hand fitting.

As far as the center of the primer reference I was being a little facecious. Not a doubt in my mind the Colt will strike the primers on center. Based on my experience with a new Sig Nitron, I'd dare say many Sig 1911's strike the primers off center.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    I have to ask. If you fired two identical pistols, both perform similar but one was firing "off center" (not grossly) would you even know without looking at the brass and why should someone care about it being a little off?

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    It is measurable. A major smith indicated that to me in a pm on another site snce he didn't want to get drawn into a debate over it. A little offcenter isn't a huge problem except for highly precision built competition pistol (bullseye 1911's fir the top shooters). But my complaint on this pistol is the strike is WAY off center, enough that the strike is just inside the primer pocket on the small primered 45 ammo. If you examine the inside of two fired primers fired in this pistol, one large and one small, you'll see where the anvil in the small primer is nearly missed by the firing pin strike and actually causes distortion on the edge of the primer cup. There IS a
    in accuracy consistancy between groups obtained with small primer vs large primer ammo. The only saving grace is the large primer ammo has a pretty good sized anvil to get more consistant ignition.

The original pistol was sent back and replaced. The replacement pistol was just as bad and sent back. The second pistol was returned and another barrel installed. There was the slightest change in strike location (a few .001"s) but not a great amount. It did result in a slight change in accuracy consistency. Throughout this, customer service has been exceptional. The technical service not so good as indicated. But the pistol runs and runs, eats ammo without complaining and it is a handsome pistol.

Center fired ammo is produced to be struck in the center where compression of the primer mix is greatest against the anvil. I didn't pay $1000 for a pistol the manufacturer can't get to strike at least close to the center of the primer. Sort of like producing an engine with grossly oversized bores.

My personal experience has been up to about .010" off center is okay. Much past that and I get concerned.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    GD-3

Latest threads

Top Bottom