• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • nomo613

Nov 24, 2010
    pikesville
    the Israelis sure make a fine gun! it would be cool if it had a triggergaurd like the micros do. will they also be imported? i heard the original tavors had the red dot sight incorporated in the safety, so when the safety went off the red dot went on. pretty neat huh!

DarthZed

Ultimate Member
    Sep 25, 2010
    Howard County
    Oh, I am so gonna get one of those. I've been following the thread on ARF where they have been discussing this for months now. Time to start saving my pennies I suppose; it probably won't be cheap. They were throwing around prices in the $2200-$2600 range based on Canada pricing.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Canadian guns tend to be more expensive than the ones here. But I'm definitely game for a Tavor, too. Nice to see Kassnar back in the game!

sailskidrive

Legalize the Constitution
    Oct 16, 2011
    Route 27
    I guess Charles Daly is back from chapter 13?

I'm impressed with how compact the Tavor is... 1/8" under the minimum...Kewl.

Omega21

Nov 27, 2010
    Traveling MD
    Thanks for the link. I read through almost the entire thing. Notice there is a SF soldier (U.S.) who has used one in Israel and didn't like the ergonomics on it. He noted changing mags is a pain. Otherwise, it's a beauty! Of course, I always wonder with stuff like this, if it breaks or you have a problem, how hard are you going to work to get it fixed. Chances are you will have to send it back to the manufacturer (not distributor) for even minor stuff since parts will likely not be readily available until it has an established market.

DarthZed

Ultimate Member
    Sep 25, 2010
    Howard County
    I'm not as concerned about parts availability as I used to be. So you might have to wait a few weeks to get a replacement, meh. Plenty of other guns to shoot. This might be an issue if the Tavor was your only gun, but otherwise, not so much. I have never had a firearm fail (perhaps I've just been lucky), I understand that, like anything else, things can break; but guns tend to be rather simple machines (usually only a few moving parts and springs). Yes, they function in a very violent manner which is stressful on the guns components. But, if they run when you get them, and you maintain them, they should last until you get a failure from a wear related part. That is obviously a gross oversimplification, but I'm just saying that parts availability isn't a driving factor for me.

I'd be more concerned about being one of the first few buyers, especially if the gun is manufactured in the U.S. at a new facility rather than being imported from an existing factory. From what I've seen, firearms manufacturers don't have a great track record when introducing new models (lots of supply line and QC issues). Thats when the parts and service question could become a real problem IMO.

Edit: The mag change issue is mainly due to the fact that many shooters are used to an AR style rifle. People who are trained on a bullpup from the start don't have this problem. Its rather like driving on the left side of the road rather than the right. One way seems strange if you're used to the other. You can find vids on youtube of shooters doing mag changes VERY rapidly on bullpups. Its just a matter of muscle memory.

LineofSight

MSI Member, NRA Member
    Oct 4, 2010
    All OVER
    When they do become available, the first sells will probably be astronomical in price being a new rifle. Guess time will tell, hopefully sooner than later.

DarthZed

Ultimate Member
    Sep 25, 2010
    Howard County
    When they do become available, the first sells will probably be astronomical in price being a new rifle.

Yep, yep. Probably be 2013 before the prices drop to reasonable levels...assuming we're all still here after 12/21/2012. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    tyreseveronica

Latest threads

Top Bottom