New Arsenal 5.56 AK Pistol - Krink Style!

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mikec

Ultimate Member
    Dec 1, 2007
    Off I-83
    not like we can get this without a stamp lol 2 right? cuz it has to come in as a AOW ?

No. Someone just has to submit it to the handgun board for approval. The board has approved a SIG 5.56 pistol as well as a Kel-Tec and the LWRC in the last 12-24 months. You can get the forms from the board and submit the pistol. You do need to work with a FFL or the gun's maker since you need to submit a test gun.

mikec

Ultimate Member
    Dec 1, 2007
    Off I-83
    There are plenty of 5.56 pistols anyways.

BTW, the Feds stopped importation of the steel cored 7.62 ammo, not the state of MD. The pistol in question would just have to be approved by MD's handgun board.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    The BATFE has explicitly listed 855 as NOT armor piercing. This pistol won't change that, just like none of the other 5.56 pistols ever did.

fd3466

Jan 31, 2011
    This is listed at a "discounted intro price" I wonder what the price will go to by the time it is approved in MD?

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    How hard would it be to add a stock and turn it into an SBR?
    Well, the SLR-106 is a folder, so one would assume that you could just add a normal AK folding stock assembly to this gun. Not sure precisely what that entails.

Aren't 5.56 AK's problematic? Or am I being delusional?
    I did some research on this subject once upon a time... the real issue seemed to be that once upon a time, CAI issued a bunch of WASR-3s with 5.45x39 magazines. Problems ensued, and now we have the "5.56 AKs aren't reliable" myth. The magazines are also not standardized, which didn't help things, either.

DarthZed

Ultimate Member
    Sep 25, 2010
    Howard County
    I'm sorry, I just don't see the point in making a 5.56 AK. 5.45 is readily available, cheaper than 5.56, and it is the traditional round used by the platform (it is also considerably more effective in an SBR configuration like this one). The magazines for 5.45 are resonably priced, function flawlessly, and again are native to the platform; as oppossed to the proprietary mags that the 5.56 AKs have to use. {shrug}

I suppose if you're an AR guy who doesn't want to stock a different caliber ammunition it would make sense. The price on this gun is certainly attractive.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    I'm sorry, I just don't see the point in making a 5.56 AK.

I suppose if you're an AR guy who doesn't want to stock a different caliber ammunition it would make sense. The price on this gun is certainly attractive.
    Congratulations on answering your own question. In fact, if you use the MSA adapter, you can use your AR-15 magazines, too. :)

I rather suspect that there are four kinds of philosophies to ammo:
    1. Buy at range
    2. Reload
    3. Buy a few boxes at a time to have a bit extra on hand
    4. Buy cases at a time to get maximum bang for the buck (forgive the pun!)

If you fit into 4 (and I suspect 2), ammo commonality is a huge consideration. I really don't want to store 500-1000 rounds of some caliber just so I can shoot it from one gun, especially if that caliber doesn't really fulfill a unique role in my collection. It also creates problems if you buy lots of ammo for long-term storage - how do you balance the various calibers? Easier to just avoid buying guns in every caliber and stick with a few good ones. And don't even get me started on organization - multiple calibers in an ammo can is a disaster I try to avoid.

Naturally, everyone breaks this rule once in a while - I bit on a cheap SKS even though I didn't really want to get into 7.62x39. But, at the same time, I'm trying to dump my 9x18 stuff so I don't wind up with a net gain in calibers. *shrugs*

Indiana Jones

Wolverine
    Mar 18, 2011
    CCN
    5.56? What were they smoking. It's a tease give it some time and out comes the 5.45 with Bakelite furniture. Mmmmmmmm

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    bara4033

Latest threads

Top Bottom