• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dohc97

Nov 4, 2007
    Derwood
    I just got a new Windham Weaponry HBC today. Are these ARs zeroed in from the factory? Anybody has experience with Winham?

dreadpirate

Ultimate Member
    Mar 7, 2010
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    No, you will have to zero the rifle. The sights are generally set to a neutral setting where the elevation and windage are centered. On the HBC, this means the front post is right in the middle, and the carry handle sight windage (right/left ) is also centered. There are different ways to zero those sights. I'll add a couple of good references in a subsequent response to this thread.

dreadpirate

Ultimate Member
    Mar 7, 2010
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    Give this a read. But the 2 sentence summary for the Army method is; the rifle is zeroed at 25 meters and (assuming you have a 16" barrel) you set the drum at 6/3. The rifle is zeroed at approx 25 and 300 meters. You flip from the small aperture to the large “0-200” aperture for a 200 meter zero. Use the large aperture for “close range” and “low light” shooting. More info here.

[EDIT] Sorry, I meant 8/3 as that is probably how your eevation drum is marked.

https://savannaharsenal.com/2017/04/08/how-to-zero-ar-15-a2-type-sights/

dreadpirate

Ultimate Member
    Mar 7, 2010
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    37.5meters is the new standard for the Army

And I use yet another method as explained in the link above; I modify the elevation drum so it has 3 extra clicks down from the standard, zero at 50 yards, and the rifle will be zeroed at 50 yards, 200 meters. This gives you a rather flat zero that only varies 2 or 3 inches out to 200 meters.

OLM-Medic

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 5, 2010
    And I use yet another method as explained in the link above; I modify the elevation drum so it has 3 extra clicks down from the standard, zero at 50 yards, and the rifle will be zeroed at 50 yards, 200 meters. This gives you a rather flat zero that only varies 2 or 3 inches out to 200 meters.

Yeah, the 50y zero is the best

Major03

Ultimate Member
    I will go against my USMC heritage, which advocates for the 300 yd zero, and recommend the 50/200 yd zero.

Gives you a point of aim / point of impact out to a little beyond 200 yds give or take a few inches.

Zeros are just mechanical manipulations of a given trajectory. There’s a lot of debate over the “best,” but at the end of the day the “best”’is the one that works best for you and what you plan on using your firearm for.

dohc97

Nov 4, 2007
    Derwood
    Nice to see guys with pro training reply to this post. The new AR that I got, the Windham Weaponry HBC is going to be my home defense rifle. I have other rifles that have some modifications done to them. This new AR will remain factory stock other than the Ergo grip it has now. Maybe a red dot in the future. I am sure I won't be shooting farther than 50 yards with this AR.

i-RDhWk8Q-XL.jpg

ChannelCat

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nice! I have a similar one with a collapsible stock, a DPMS, tucked away in the safe as my SHTF weapon. I currently have a laser sight on mine, but am not sure that this would be ideal for a SHTF scenario. I might put a red dot sight on mine eventually, and would welcome comments on doing so versus leaving the laser sigh on. My normal home defense weapon is a Remington 870 with extended mag and a combo light and laser sight.

dreadpirate

Ultimate Member
    Mar 7, 2010
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    I will go against my USMC heritage, which advocates for the 300 yd zero, and recommend the 50/200 yd zero.

Gives you a point of aim / point of impact out to a little beyond 200 yds give or take a few inches.

Zeros are just mechanical manipulations of a given trajectory. There’s a lot of debate over the “best,” but at the end of the day the “best”’is the one that works best for you and what you plan on using your firearm for.

Agreed. The only thing is the carry handle elevation drum does not have a 200 meter setting. Thats why I modify mine by adding 3 clicks which gives you a 200 meter setting, and then the rest of the settings as marked.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Agreed. The only thing is the carry handle elevation drum does not have a 200 meter setting. Thats why I modify mine by adding 3 clicks which gives you a 200 meter setting, and then the rest of the settings as marked.

Wouldn't lowering the front post achieve the same result, or will it bottom out at the other end? I don't know. I've never messed with AR standard iron sights much.

dreadpirate

Ultimate Member
    Mar 7, 2010
    Cuba on the Chesapeake

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Really simple -

Go to range.

Zero @ 50yds , however the knobs require twisting.

Declare Victory, and leave alone henceforth . ( Unless are actually shooting over 300yds with iron sights .)

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    Wouldn't lowering the front post achieve the same result, or will it bottom out at the other end? I don't know. I've never messed with AR standard iron sights much.

Before I learned of the modified BSZ, I achieved the same result on the 20” rifle raising (edit) the front sight 3 clicks, 2 clicks on the carbine. This worked to 100 yards. When I learned of the 50 yard zero, I used it because all the adjustments stayed at the rear sight.

One must keep in mind the 3/600 carbine carry handles are 3/4 MOA elevation clicks and the 3/800 A2 are 1 MOA elevation clicks

Last edited:

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    If looking at mainly HD use, you might want a closer 0.

At close ranges, due to the high sight line above the bore, you have to hold over a good bit for hits with a standard 0.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Shive62

Latest threads

Top Bottom