• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SolomonsCommune

Tomato Grower
    Mar 28, 2013
    Calvert County
    I'm a total AR virgin. I just put together a lower sans the stock kit which will be here tuesday. Have a complete upper from PSA and installed the BCG and handle.

First question:

I have no ammo for this gun and don't have a ton of money to do so. I see lots of steel cased ammo for cheap on gunbot. Would it be better to order 500 rnds of Wolf Polyformance at $107 plus shipping for target shooting and just to have ammo in the safe or would it be worth it to use a free shipping coupon and get re-manufactured brass ammo from Freedommunitions for $144? I'm not so worried about the price difference as I am what would be better for the gun, more reliable etc.

Second question:

Total noob question but I didn't want to spend 50 or 60 for a magpul rear sight and got an AimSports rear sight like this one :

http://aimsportsinc.com/products/96...ip-up-sight-w-single-plane-dual-aperture.html

I'm assuming it's supposed to fold backwards to the rear of the gun, correct? At least that's how I have it installed on the upper. Just wanted to make sure as I could not find a picture anywhere on the net of this sight on a gun.

Thanks for any info you can give me as I'm totally amped up to get the stock on this week and go give it a test run.

mopar92

Official MDS Court Jester
    May 5, 2011
    Taneytown
    For the rear sight. Direction of fold does not matter. What matters is the aperture. Make sure the curve of the smaller rear aperture is away from you. It should be concave to draw your eye to it. Use the smaller aperture for zeroing and use the FRONT SIGHT for elevation adjustments.
    Research your zero carefully. There's the 25/300 the 50/200 and the 36/300.
    I recommend the 36 yard zero.

Now as for ammo. I recommend purchasing the brass cased ammo for the first time out/function checking. From then on (approximately 200 rounds) steel is A-OK.

Merlin593

Mar 29, 2013
    Towson, MD
    My thoughts on the ammo question - I don't think there is anyone that would debate that shooting brass rather than steel cased ammo is better overall for the gun in the long run (barrel/bolt wear). But there are plenty of guys that shoot steel and the gun functions fine even after 1000's of rounds.
    Yes steel is cheaper but if you want to reload (and save $), than you need to shoot brass anyway.
    .223 vs. 5.56 - a lot of preference here based on individual but if your gun is chambered for 5.56, you can shoot either caliber out of it. 5.56 has a little more pressure and is a bit more expensive.
    Here are a couple of links to sites for competitively priced ammo:
    http://www.the-armory.com/shopsite_sc/store/html/223_ammunition.html
    https://www.wideners.com/itemview.cfm?dir=18|830|845
    I usually get 1000 rounds of Wolf Gold .223 a t a time for around $295-305/case.
    If you are going to shoot regularly, buy in larger lots to help save a few cents/round.
    Best,
    Jim

PS - Freedom Munitions - I buy a lot of 9mm from them (mostly new but some remanned) and I like their product overall. IMHO if the cost differential is so small between remanned and new, why not buy the new stuff? You're basically talking about $288 plus shipping for 1000 rounds and you can get 1000 rounds of brand new Wolf Gold for $305 plus shipping...

jackpollard

Dec 26, 2013
    Outside Union Bridge, MD.
    I've been using the Wolf Gold mentioned and it shoot pretty clean and decent in my Colt AR. No jams and if you pick up the cases now, even if you don't reload yet, you can save in the long run when/if you decide to.

mtel

Ultimate Member
    Dec 21, 2012
    Virginia
    Even though it costs more to buy by the box, I'd figure out which ammo it likes before buying in bulk.

Congrats on your first AR. :thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Scot2024

Latest threads

Top Bottom