• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Billman

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot?
    May 18, 2010
    Sykesville, MD
    I'm actually not brand loyal and I don't particularly like Glock ergonomics either. I was trying to make the point that the only proven $600 10mm gun is a Glock.

Buy what you want, enjoy it. I really don't care, not looking for an argument.

Keep in mind the case pressures of 10mm are nearly double that of the 45acp. If Colt had trouble with the cartridge that only further proves the point.

Intercooler

Jun 10, 2012
    My Witness Match has been a proven $500 gun more so than a Glock (unsupported barrel time-frame) and the 1006 which at times can also be purchased for that range is the tank of 10mm's. Let's see how this one looks when someone takes delivery. Won't take long for the real World info to get out!

boricuamaximus

Ultimate Member
    Dec 27, 2008
    I might buy one for giggles. Has better sights than my Delta Elite. Only thing that will make a big difference is the barrel. The stock delta did not have a fully supported one which I had to upgrade.

Indiana Jones

Wolverine
    Mar 18, 2011
    CCN
    I might buy one for giggles. Has better sights than my Delta Elite. Only thing that will make a big difference is the barrel. The stock delta did not have a fully supported one which I had to upgrade.

I really like those Delta Elites. Damn they are hard to find!

krashmania

Still dont know anything
    Feb 6, 2011
    churchville
    Hmmm I am a RIA fan in general, for cheap, shooter, decent .45's my match is a little rough in looks but shoots fantastic.

However, $599 will get you pretty close to an EAA witness in 10mm which is probably a more proven platform.

I would definitely take a ria over the eaa. I had a witness in 9, and I was not pleased in any way other than the ergos. Couldn't group worth a damn, and wouldn't cycle half the ammo I tried. The 22 slide that came with it was even worse. I wouldn't buy a base model again without the ability to test fire it first.

I've also heard nothing but horror stories about the customer service.

Sent from my VS910 4G using Tapatalk 2

Ruzo

Ultimate Member
    Mar 12, 2011
    Phoenix, MD.
    Here's a couple of things I've found. If this helps great if not just my 2. I have a G20sf Never had an issue. I also have a Delta Elite. First few mags had a stove pipe or two till I found the ammo she liked to eat. Now after a few 100 rounds, she eats whatever I feed her. I used to have an older RIA in .45acp. In all honesty I got what I paid for. Sort of the BIC Lighter of guns. I put thousands of rounds through it till the tolerances where sketchy and the slide rattled. At that point it was disposable because putting another 200-400 dollars into at that time a pistol that cost me $399 didn't make sense. Here is the thing, I purchased the RIA knowing full well what was it's future. The same day I bought that I purchased my Kimber full size .45acp which I still own. In the end, buy what you can afford, and enjoy it. If you have the means this month or week to spend $600 dollars, then patience may be the way to go. Wait another month or two and save another $600 to buy the S&W E series, or Colt, or whatever. My thought is reputation and years of service Trumps everything else. If you don't have the means, then buy the best you can afford. Spend another $100 bucks or so to have a good qualified gunsmith to give your pistol a once over, for safety and longevity. Then be Happy.
    Bryan

Intercooler

Jun 10, 2012
    You must have had one of the only bad accuracy Witness pieces. Pretty much all reports including mine is they are more accurate than the shooters. My Dan Wesson is a slight smidge more accurate than both my Witness pieces but it is like cutting hairs! Those are the three most accurate in my collection.

Very good video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v9YFqhLRa6c

The sights are nice. The rear sight is similar to my Match on the RIA and I like the fiber front. +1 on the sights!

sailskidrive

Legalize the Constitution
    Oct 16, 2011
    Route 27
    Hopefully there's a metallurgist working with Rock Island. Not sure I would be up for full power 10mm out of what I've seen from Rock Island. Actually only handled one and it was...well...a $500 1911. Just sayin'

No kidding... sounds like an insurance claim in the making.

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    I would definitely take a ria over the eaa. I had a witness in 9, and I was not pleased in any way other than the ergos. Couldn't group worth a damn, and wouldn't cycle half the ammo I tried. The 22 slide that came with it was even worse. I wouldn't buy a base model again without the ability to test fire it first.

I've also heard nothing but horror stories about the customer service.

Mines been solid in 10 and 9 with the conversion slide

krashmania

Still dont know anything
    Feb 6, 2011
    churchville
    You must have had one of the only bad accuracy Witness pieces. Pretty much all reports including mine is they are more accurate than the shooters. My Dan Wesson is a slight smidge more accurate than both my Witness pieces but it is like cutting hairs! Those are the three most accurate in my collection.

Very good video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v9YFqhLRa6c

The sights are nice. The rear sight is similar to my Match on the RIA and I like the fiber front. +1 on the sights!

I tried resting it, handing it over to other shooters to try, everything, I wanted so bad for it to work, cause like I said, ergos were great, fit my hand so well, and a soft shooting gun, too, when it actually would.

Intercooler

Jun 10, 2012
    Go to my range and you can try them all one day when I am there versus anything you bring.

Another nice thing for this 1911 is going to be that bull barrel. It adds weight up front and my Dan Wesson is light plus a short guide rod. I get more flip out of it than any of my heavier 10's. When we see what that barrel looks like with a round inserted into it that will tell most of what the RIA is all about.

krashmania

Still dont know anything
    Feb 6, 2011
    churchville
    Go to my range and you can try them all one day when I am there versus anything you bring.

Another nice thing for this 1911 is going to be that bull barrel. It adds weight up front and my Dan Wesson is light plus a short guide rod. I get more flip out of it than any of my heavier 10's. When we see what that barrel looks like with a round inserted into it that will tell most of what the RIA is all about.

Who knows, maybe I did get a lemon. some love them, some are mixed, I just speak from my personal experience. Biggest firearms disappointed to date, for me.

krashmania

Still dont know anything
    Feb 6, 2011
    churchville
    But back to the original post, that seems pretty cool to me. I know people say you should get a 45 as a 1911, but something says a 10mm would be welcomed as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    guitarsit

Latest threads

Top Bottom