• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ar15dave

AR15Dave
    Jun 10, 2008
    Monrovia, MD
    I have an extra Mk III 22/45 that I cannot use in it's current config. I want to change out the barrel with something threaded. Was thinking of a 2" threaded barrel.

Anyone know anywhere I can get one?

Dave

photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia
    I have an extra Mk III 22/45 that I cannot use in it's current config. I want to change out the barrel with something threaded. Was thinking of a 2" threaded barrel.

Anyone know anywhere I can get one?

Dave
    No.
    TacSol and VQ have 4-4.5" threaded barrels but anything shorter you would need to get an OEM Ruger upper modified. Just remember in the Ruger the upper receiver/barrel assembly is the serial numbered part. But since it is a pistol shortening the barrel is OK to do, just not sure why. Most who want to suppress use a 4" barrel. A 2" might have cycling issues. Even unsuppressed it might have cycling issues.
    Anyway those are your options. I would suggest getting the part you have modified as a new upper is an FFL controlled item.

BigDaddy

Ultimate Member
    Feb 7, 2014
    According to the Internet, the Mark 3 is press fit, except some think it is threaded. :shrug:

Clark Custom sells barrels, but there is no demand for 2" barrels. According to their website, these are just barrels and not the barreled receiver. They also advertise rebarreling.

If you are willing to throw enough money at this project, it might be possible to have them cut down and install at threaded 2" barrel.

They might be the best ones to answer your question about 2" being too short.

http://clarkcustomguns.com/gun/custom-ruger-mkiii-22-45/

Last edited:

BigDaddy

Ultimate Member
    Feb 7, 2014
    There are 22's with shorter barrels
    22llr_2.jpg

Rather than stabilization, the theoretical concern is the time pressure curve to make the semi-auto cycle. That is above my pay grade.

4g64loser

Bad influence
    Jan 18, 2007
    maryland
    Rugers are threaded into the receiver. changing out the barrel is a real PITA. It is much easier to pay a gunsmith to singlepoint thread the shortened factory barrel. I have never seen one in 2" length, but I know multiple shooters that have cut em to 3" or 4" and they work just fine. I CAN say (slightly off OPs topic) that a 2" High Standard barrel threaded for a can works just fine.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    2" models shoot like crap in a blowback design. Been there, done that.

3.5" is about the shortest you can go and have good results.

Ruger MK1-3 and 22/45 barrels are threaded to the upper receiver. Its not always possible to separate the 2 without damaging the finish, so you MAY need to have it refinished.

TyFromMD

Ultimate Member
    Mar 31, 2011
    Maryland
    I was going to go with a Pac Lite upper for the 22/45 but ended up just getting a 22/45 lite. I think you'll be pleased with yhat.

ar15dave

AR15Dave
    Jun 10, 2008
    Monrovia, MD
    I was going to go with a Pac Lite upper for the 22/45 but ended up just getting a 22/45 lite. I think you'll be pleased with yhat.

I have a 22/45 lite as well with iron sights. But, due to eye surgery, I can not really use the optics that are generally out there for pistols. So, I want to change my other 22/45 from the picatinny version it is now to one that has iron sights and might be a little lighter.

Dave

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    If you buy a Pac Lite setup, or the others, you end up legally with 2 pistols, but only one usable. :)

So why not get the current one shortened and threaded? Or just build a new one from scratch?

photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia
    22llr_2.jpg

Rather than stabilization, the theoretical concern is the time pressure curve to make the semi-auto cycle. That is above my pay grade.
    Yes but having owned a NAA .22LR revolver I can attest to the fact that they are best used at arm's length or closer. One my wife bought would not group under about 8" at only 7 yards even when I used 2 hands and braced it against the lane wall at On Target.

BigDaddy

Ultimate Member
    Feb 7, 2014
    Cool thanks. it has Picatinny which I have already but nice. Thought the barrel was stuck on the uppers in such a way that the entire upper half had to be swapped out. No?

Dave
    I thought someone corrected my above post in your other thread. The 22/45 barrels are indeed threaded. That was the first pic I have seen of the barrel and you wouldn't thing it would be that big a deal to replace the barrel.

You can Google and find that some people say it's easy to swap a barrel and others say it is impossible. Either there is a substantial risk in damaging the barrel or receiver or the profit margin in selling a barreled receiver is so much better. That would explain why there is only one company marketing just barrels.

jcutonilli

Ultimate Member
    Mar 28, 2013
    22llr_2.jpg

Revolver barrel lengths and other firearm barrel lengths are measured differently. Revolver barrels are measured from the front of the cylinder whereas most firearms the barrel length is measure from the bolt face. For a 22lr the difference is about an inch so a 1 1/8 naa revolver has a slightly longer barrel than a 2 inch 22/45.

Here is an article about a 2 in AR15 where the bullet sticks out of the muzzle because the cartridge length is longer than the barrel.
    http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2015/07/27/a-2-barreled-ar-15-sbr-no-really/

photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia
    I have a 22/45 lite as well with iron sights. But, due to eye surgery, I can not really use the optics that are generally out there for pistols. So, I want to change my other 22/45 from the picatinny version it is now to one that has iron sights and might be a little lighter.

Dave
    What kind of eye surgery did you have?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ramseye

Latest threads

Top Bottom