• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Tomcat

Formerly Known As HITWTOM
    May 7, 2012
    St.Mary's County
    The Identity Theft Unit can give you step-by-step advice on how to protect yourself from ID thieves using, or continuing to use, your personal information. We may also be able to help you to address some of the issues that identity theft causes, such as dealing with credit card companies or collection agencies.
    You may contact the Identity Theft Unit by calling (410) 576-6491 or by sending an e-mail to idtheft@oag.state.md.us.

Maybe we should call / email them for advise?

I did just call. Seriously...voicemail picks up. "You've reached the Identity Theft Unit of the Office of the Attorney General. Sorry we can't come to the phone right now...."

Must be lunchtime. Oh! Wait..it's almost 2 PM. It's quitting time.

It's probably an unstaffed office anyway.

CrazySanMan

2013'er
    Mar 4, 2013
    Colorful Colorado
    Voicemail, so I sent this email:

I believe my personal identifiable information, including my name, address, phone number, social security number, veteran status, and other personal information has been comprised, but the party which held this information has not made the loss public yet.

What actions should I take to protect my information? Should I contact the credit agencies, and if so what should I tell them? Do I have any recourse against the party that negligently released my PII? I am worried that my home may be targeted for a burglary based on some of the information that was released. How can I protect my wife and children?

Thank you,
    CrazySanMan

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    I'll call tomorrow. If I have trouble getting through to a person do you think it would be alright to call their Boss?
    "Please direct any questions to Jeff Karberg, Administrator of the Identity Theft Program at (410) 576-6574."

Or should I call their Bosses Boss? Attorney General Gansler.
    From their site it is interesting to see what others with data breaches are doing:

Montgomery County School System
    http://www.oag.state.md.us/idtheft/Breach Notices/ITU 218361.PDF

South Carolina
    http://www.oag.state.md.us/idtheft/Breach Notices/itu-226000 (1).pdf
    http://www.oag.state.md.us/idtheft/Breach Notices/itu-224440.pdf

Prince Georges County Government
    http://www.oag.state.md.us/idtheft/Breach Notices/itu-224435.pdf

As the crime of identity theft has grown, lawmakers have worked to protect consumers' personal information from identity thieves. The Personal Information Protection Act (PIPA), Md. Code Ann. Comm. Law 14-3504 was enacted to make sure that Maryland consumers' personal identifying information is reasonably protected, and if it is compromised, they are notified so that they can take steps to protect themselves. PIPA contains provisions for notification of consumers in the event of a data security breach and for reasonable security measures to protect consumers' personal identifying information.

The one that sent me over the edge was if you look at the Security Breach Reports for 2013 and one of the most recent breaches was reported by Fidelity. Appears that some poor secretary inadvertently faxed a document, ONE SINGLE DOCUMENT, to the wrong number, and Fidelity was required to file a Security Breach Report.

Meanwhile....back in Maryland....well, just go ahead and put your name, address, DOB and SSN on a billboard on 695 at rush hour. You'd be more secure. At least your mother might see it on her way home from work so she could give you a heads up that you might need to take precautions to protect yourself.

My neighbors knew nothing of this until I mentioned it to them yesterday morning. They were shocked.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    alfontso

Latest threads

Top Bottom