• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • pitbull

Jan 23, 2013
    are the dogs healthy looking? are they being fed and taken care of? and dont poison them. that is stupid. but it sounds like you know better. there are pitbull rescues in the area BARCS is in baltimore. give them a call and see what they say. they probably have good advice.

Just5Guy

Ultimate Member
    Sep 2, 2011
    Carroll Co.
    There is about 100ft of "Common Area" between my house and this neighbor's house. Now they have decided since the driveway is too packed in the middle of the night, they are going to use the common area as their own personal driveway. I guess I am going to have to drag some downed trees out of the woods and lay them there until they get the hint.

Afrikeber

Ultimate Member
    Jan 14, 2013
    Urbana, Md.
    Don't know if the chocolate works. When my daughter was a little girl we left her chocolate candy from Holloween on the table and went out. When we retuned home our dog had consumed all of it. The dog had the runs but was just fine.

cyrano_oneone

Dec 15, 2011
    Columbia, MD
    It was listed as a "Short Sale" for about a year. Then a couple months ago it was moved to a "Withdrawn" status, which I assume means the bank has decided rather than trying to sell it, it will just rent it out. The problem I am having is finding out what bank holds the lien.

I will also be contact the HOA Head tonight basically to tell him to get organized., and informing him that I am planning legal action.

I was the head of my HOA. We are always looking for people to serve on the board.

Here is how to get the HOA to act
    ==========================
    1) Join the board
    2) Do all the work on the issue.
    3) Get the neighbors to sign a petition in agreement
    4) Bring the Issue up to the board and get the action passed.
    3) Follow up on the issue (which you are motivated to do).

As head of my HOA I did anything people brought before me and made the case for. What I did not respond to were people who walked up to me pointed out a personal peeve and expected me to do all the work to fix it.

cyrano_oneone

cyrano_oneone

Dec 15, 2011
    Columbia, MD
    There is about 100ft of "Common Area" between my house and this neighbor's house. Now they have decided since the driveway is too packed in the middle of the night, they are going to use the common area as their own personal driveway. I guess I am going to have to drag some downed trees out of the woods and lay them there until they get the hint.

Like I pointed out if you are on the BOARD you can get them to act. As a board member you can be authorized to call a towing company personally. Common area is just that...it is owned by the HOA.

Merlin

Ultimate Member
    Dec 31, 2009
    Carroll County, Maryland
    Remember it's not the animals fault who the owner is. Harming the dogs will help nothing and will just turn you into the bad guy that is worst then the people your having the problem with. People like this don't care that much for their animals and as fast as you kill them they will just get more.

Also dragging trees to the common area (that you have no more right to do they them using the common area for parking) is also turning you into something that is just as bad as them. So you have to ask your self, are you just as bad as these people and just find the need to win some how, or are you above these people and will only use legal means to deal with this instead?

Could these neighbors of yours be on another group talking about their crazy neighbor that harms dogs and thinks he owns the neighborhood?

I feel your pain brother, I really do. However you have to decide if your as bad as them or better then them. Who do you want to be?

Just5Guy

Ultimate Member
    Sep 2, 2011
    Carroll Co.
    Could these neighbors of yours be on another group talking about their crazy neighbor that harms dogs and thinks he owns the neighborhood?

Let's get one thing straight, I am not harming anyone's dogs. I wouldn't want anything done to my pets, so I won't be doing anything to theirs. I am going about this as civil as possible.

duallyjams

Sep 28, 2008
    Deale Md
    Make friends with the dogs, play with them, give them treats, they will like you better then they like the owners, this way when you tell them to be quite they will listen.

I have a neighbor that breaded boxers, same thing dogs howling all night at the moon, once I started playing with them they got to know me so now when I tell them to go in the house they listen.

CrueChief

Cocker Dad/RIP Bella
    Apr 3, 2009
    Napolis-ish
    I keep thinking there use to be a time when a neighborhood was an area where people lived and looked out for each other. Now it seems that bad seeds are coming into and just renting houses in nice communities and making turning them into less desirable places to live. ( not all renters are bad but in my neighborhood most of the problems are caused by renters). My question is where do these selfish people come from and why most it come to this level for people to just do the right thing and respect the rest of the neighborhood?...I feel your pain bro and wish I had the resources to live where even in winter I couldn't see my closest neighbors house.

Alea Jacta Est

Extinguished member
    MDS Supporter
    This right here. To hell with anyone that does this, instant scum bag POS in my book. While it might sound terrible, toss a few Hershey Chocolate bars in their yard, best last meal the dog will ever have, problem solved. Besides, the owner obviously doesn't care.

I own three dogs and I've promised all of them they can have some delicious chocolate on their death beds.
    Chocolate n dogs...my you are thoughtful. Not a dog person, are you. Why not some antifreeze while you're at it??? Seriously, if you did that to my dogs...I'd personally walk you to your special place in hell.

FWIW dogs n chocolate aren't a good mix. That said, one of mine got into the kids Easter baskets one time...ate it all. Crapped foil for a week. Didn't kill her. Laid her low but she lived to a ripe old age.

Focus on the owners, the dogs ain't at fault. They only know what their pack lead shows them. If they are vicious, document it, call in the authorities and they'll be seized and put down if that's what's required.

Chocolate (encouragement to "poison" them) is the epitome of ignorance in more ways than one.

Good luck.

Alea Jacta Est

Extinguished member
    MDS Supporter
    Make friends with the dogs, play with them, give them treats, they will like you better then they like the owners, this way when you tell them to be quite they will listen.

I have a neighbor that breaded boxers, same thing dogs howling all night at the moon, once I started playing with them they got to know me so now when I tell them to go in the house they listen.
    +1

That's one smart fella right there.

waterdog

When cars come over to party snd throw back a few 40oz malts, call the police and say you suspect drunk driving and drug use and describe the car.

Your approach, although should be effective, gets no response because there is no money in it for the local goverment.

A few arrests or stops and they wont come over any more thus shutting the train down.

JasonB

Ultimate Member
    Sep 4, 2012
    Belcamp
    If they are having all those cars late at night theres probably something illegal going on. Maybe put a spotlight on the cars when you see them coming and going from the empty lot. They will at least know someone is watching.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    How can you tell if someone put a lien on your house ????

Either you would have to sign a paper giving them the right to put a lien on your house (e.g., a mortgage) or they would have to sue you in Court to get a lien against your house. Either way, you should know about it.

You can also check for liens against you in the Maryland Judiciary's website. If you don't know how to do that, send me a PM and I can do it for you. Thing is, you will need to give me specifics pertaining to yourself so I can do the search.

Chances are, if you have no clue about a lien being on your house, then there isn't one.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Yeah, I could only make it halfway through this thread. Some of the suggestions are insane, and could actually land the OP in legal trouble himself, and serious legal trouble at that. We have malicious destruction of property, cruelty to animals, possible personal liability for negligence, and possible restitution issues.

You have some options, and some have been mentioned.

Getting zoning involved will be somewhat tough because I am willing to bet that the business they have at the house is not legitimate nor registered. When zoning shows up, they are going to deny having a business and probably not let zoning into the house. If you want to build a case up for a zoning violation, look to the zoning laws and start using that DSLR to document the number of people visiting, etc.

You really need to take pictures of the dogs in your yard and call animal control every time they are in your yard. Start keeping a log of the times you call animal control and nobody shows up. Then, when it gets to be around 5+ times, send a letter to the director of animal control. If animal control is run by the police department, as it is here in Howard County, then cc: the Chielf of Police on the letter you send to the director of animal control.

Look to the local ordinances and see what is and what is not allowed. I guarantee you there is a noise ordinance and a roaming dog ordinance. I know we have them here in Howard County.

If the neighbors are on your property uninvited, then they are trespassing. Again, take pictures. I would think about sending them a certified letter telling them that trespassing would be dealt with to the utmost extent of the law, and while you have no issue minding your own business you will not allow others to trample all over your property, just as they would not want to see you camping out in their front or back yards. You need to give them notice that they are not allowed to be on your property, or they will say that they had no clue that their neighbor did not want them to visit.

Suing the owner of the house for the actions of the renter is a no-go. You are not going to win that one.

Trying to establish a lien against the property for a privacy fence that you put up of your own accord is also a loser.

Trying to sue the owner of the property for diminishing the value of your property is also a loser. However, if the property is in such disrepair that it is an eyesore, then write your HOA. There are rules in the HOA agreement that require homes to be well maintained. Suing the Directors and Officers of the HOA for not enforcing the rules is a tough one though, but people might take action merely at the thought of being sued.

Bottom line, I would send a letter to animal control, the Chief of Police, the zoning board, and your HOA, and I would continue to gather evidence. Remember, the police do not have to witness a crime as long as you can prove the case and testify at the trial. Video and photo evidence is usually extremely good to have. A neighbor lost a zoning hearing because the other neighbor had video of the work vans coming and going throughout the day, had video showing that the number of customers' cars in the driveway far exceeded the amount allowed by the zoning laws, showed that there were more employees allowed than the zoning laws permitted, etc. The matter really does suck in my neighborhood because the guy with the business is a somewhat decent guy. Not a model citizen or somebody I would let my daughter date, but somebody that I wouldn't hesitate to be friends with. The entire mess happened because an employee or two trespassed on the neighbor's property. Ended up taking 2 hearings before they got the outcome they wanted and the business owner is appealing that one. Been going on for well over a year.

End of the day, you just have to outlast them and wear them down. There is no easy fix to a terrible neighbor.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    I keep thinking there use to be a time when a neighborhood was an area where people lived and looked out for each other. Now it seems that bad seeds are coming into and just renting houses in nice communities and making turning them into less desirable places to live. ( not all renters are bad but in my neighborhood most of the problems are caused by renters). My question is where do these selfish people come from and why most it come to this level for people to just do the right thing and respect the rest of the neighborhood?...I feel your pain bro and wish I had the resources to live where even in winter I couldn't see my closest neighbors house.

I would laugh if it wasn't so sad. Doing the right thing nowadays is unheard of. All everybody thinks about is themselves and where they will get their next instant gratification. If the population in general did the right thing, the Great Recession would never have happened.

Finding good neighbors in cities and crowded suburban areas is almost impossible. Too many people stuck in the rat race to get more stuff that they do not need. So much so that they cannot take the time to check on their neighbors or help them out when they need it.

My mottos:

1) Stress less by wanting less
    2) Live well below your means
    3) Save for a rainy day
    4) It isn't the amount of money spent on a child that matters, but the amount of time spent with the child
    5) Do unto others as you want done to you
    6) Be good to people, and they will be good to you most of the time (a derivative of 5)
    7) An eye for an eye
    8) Never stop learning and never be afraid to try something you do not know how to do.

Just5Guy

Ultimate Member
    Sep 2, 2011
    Carroll Co.
    This is the response I got from zoning...not sure how to interpret it:

Mr. Just5Guy,

A Home Occupation is a permitted use in a Residential Zone. Here is the relevant extract from the County Code regarding Home Occupations. The use of a computer in the home to conduct business over the internet is considered to be an office function. (see clause (3) of regs. below)

If you have any further questions regarding the regulations, please call me at 410-222-7437.

If you feel the subject business is operating outside the regulations outlined below you may register a complaint with Zoning Enforcement at 410-222-7446.

§ 18-10-119. Home occupations.

A home occupation shall comply with all of the following requirements.

(1) A home occupation shall be located and conducted entirely in a principal dwelling unit and shall be incidental and secondary to the use of the structure as a dwelling.

(2) A home occupation may not change the character of the dwelling unit and may not exceed 25% of the total floor area.

(3) Home occupations are limited to the following:

(i) art, handcraft, woodworking, or ceramics studios for the sale of products made on the premises;

(ii) florist or nursery operations for flowers and plants;

(iii) hair and nail salons;

(iv) jewelry, watch, or clock repair;

(v) seamstress or tailoring establishments;

(vi) photography studios;

(vii) professional or general offices;

(viii) scissor or saw sharpening operations;

(ix) massage practice in which only one State-licensed massage therapist or practitioner practices massage in the dwelling unit as a sole practitioner and receives no compensation from any establishment or individual other than the recipient of the massage;

(x) repair and maintenance of firearms, including handguns, rifles, shotguns, and antique firearms, as those terms are defined in the Criminal Law Article, § 4-201, of the State Code;

(xi) typing and computer services;

(xii) direct sale product distribution, such as Amway, Tupperware, and Avon;

(xiii) tutoring and instruction for no more than six students;

(xiv) child care for a maximum of 12 children in accordance with the requirements of the State Child Care Administration; and

(xv) taxidermy, excluding butchering, rendering, or tanning.

(4) The operator of a home occupation shall be a resident of the dwelling unit in which the occupation is located.

(5) No more than one nonresident may be employed in the home occupation.

(6) The sale or rental of goods or products other than those produced on the premises by the home occupation is prohibited.

(7) Outside storage is prohibited.

(Bill No. 4-05; Bill No. 78-05)

http://www.amlegal.com/nxt/gateway.dll/Maryland/annearundelco_md/annearundelcountycode2005?f=templates$fn=default.htm$3.0$vid=amlegal:annearundelco_md

Any my original inquiry:

To Whom It May Concern,

I have a neighbor that has informed me he is running an internet business out of his home. This has brought unwelcome foot and vehicle traffic in to our neighborhood. I was wondering if there is any recourse I can take in this matter?

Thank You
    -Just5Guy

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom