Need to "fix" some .223 rounds I bought, Advice?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Todd v.

Ultimate Member
    Nov 30, 2008
    South Carolina
    I just bought 1k rounds os Sellier & Bellot .223 55gr ammo from cabellas but had some problems with a lot of it. Other info found here... http://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?p=199422#post199422

I think what I need to do is basicly just replace the projectiles with something good. This will actually be my first reloading project so I'm not sure if I can just pull the bullets and replace or if I need to dump powder and start over... I have a Hornaday single stage press on the way and am still gathering the rest of what I need.

What say the Gurus?

Pyramid

MDS Supporter
    Sep 27, 2008
    AACO
    You will need to get a good bullet puller. I've used the RCBS puller (looks like a loading die), just need to get a 22 collet. Check with www.midwayusa.com They work nice, pulled a whole set of 45 bullets with one.

I suppose you could reload each one individually with an identical weight bullet, just swap the puller with the seating die. This would be a slow process unless you have two presses. You could weigh the charge in the factory load, dump the powder from each round into a container. Then use that powder and reload them all.

Pyramid

MDS Supporter
    Sep 27, 2008
    AACO
    Also, verify the weight of the bullets in the factory load. The process should be as simple as mentioned in your post. You shouldn't have to resize the case.

Pyramid

MDS Supporter
    Sep 27, 2008
    AACO
    Additionally, you may in fact have to resize the cases after you pull the bullets. This is tricky because you would have to take the decapping pin out of the die. I got away with out doing it on a pistol round, but not sure how good their brass is whether or not resizing is necessary.

Also, the rounds you have may be copper plated. see ar15.com link. These bullets are not safe for steel targets.
    http://ammo.ar15.com/ammo/project/select_avoid.html

Todd v.

Ultimate Member
    Nov 30, 2008
    South Carolina
    Thanks for all the advice. I think I'm gunna fix em instead of selling them off but I'm gunna do all 1000 rounds cause I don't want to shoot the steel jacketed stuff through my guns and I don't want to sell screwed up ammo to someone. And I will still end up with once fired brass in the end. The necks on the brass look fairly thick and they are boxer primed so it looks like good stuff for reloading. And all I will need to do is buy the bullets and spend a little time to make em right. So far I only have $130 into em plus say another $80 for 1k 55gr bullets... Not bad for a thousand rounds of never fired brass cased ammo.

Not in any hurry to tackle this because I'm still rounding up all the reloading equipt and I have plenty of other ammo to shoot in the meantime.

Todd v.

Ultimate Member
    Nov 30, 2008
    South Carolina
    Additionally, you may in fact have to resize the cases after you pull the bullets. This is tricky because you would have to take the decapping pin out of the die. I got away with out doing it on a pistol round, but not sure how good their brass is whether or not resizing is necessary.

Also, the rounds you have may be copper plated. see ar15.com link. These bullets are not safe for steel targets.
    http://ammo.ar15.com/ammo/project/select_avoid.html

Wow I've never found that one before thanks for the link!!

Pyramid

MDS Supporter
    Sep 27, 2008
    AACO
    Funny timing, I was listening to Gun Talk tonight, and someone called in and asked about steel jacketed bullets and barrel wear. Gresham said don't worry about it. I'm pretty sure they were talking about sporting rifles with a 10K round barrel life. Milspec barrels can handle the stuff no problem.

4g64loser

Bad influence
    Jan 18, 2007
    maryland
    we've shot the steel jacketed stuff through a lot of guns. the ruger ac556 doesnt care what you feed it, it just keeps on kicking @$$. M16 is load-finicky but runs the old Wolf steel case/steel jacket ok. havent tried it in a belt fed. we've shot steel jacket 9mm in subguns and handguns with no known ill effects. the steel is soft. its not really a big deal, particularly on military barrels, as pyramid just said

Dans390

Apr 14, 2007
    York Pa
    NOT KNOWING COULD BE DANGEROUS
    after pulling projo's I'd find suitable container
    for unknown powder

Buddy gave me 600 30-06's he didn't like the look of
    I pulled a few 150gr & 45gr powder
    FIRED 5 & BLEW PRIMERS OUTA 2
    SAFETY FIRST

Todd v.

Ultimate Member
    Nov 30, 2008
    South Carolina
    It's brand new ammo from a very reputable manufacturer, I'm not to worried about the powder or the charge being off, I'm just not happy about the bullets being steel and uncoated at that. As I read the coating is there to lubricate the steel jacket in the barrel and most of these are just bare steel so I'm leary of putting it through my guns. I'd rather be safe than sorry.

Jmurman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 21, 2007
    Perry Hall
    It's brand new ammo from a very reputable manufacturer, I'm not to worried about the powder or the charge being off, I'm just not happy about the bullets being steel and uncoated at that. As I read the coating is there to lubricate the steel jacket in the barrel and most of these are just bare steel so I'm leary of putting it through my guns. I'd rather be safe than sorry.

Thats good that you are questioning the product.

Pull the bullets, and dump the powder into another container.

Now buy bullets that match up to your weapon. You could probably use the powder that you dumped, but what I would do is to weight 10 "samples" and then take the average and use that as your "load weight."

Maybe you could hook up with someone that has a chrono and send a few through that before doing the entire 1K rounds.

Todd v.

Ultimate Member
    Nov 30, 2008
    South Carolina
    Thats good that you are questioning the product.

Pull the bullets, and dump the powder into another container.

Now buy bullets that match up to your weapon. You could probably use the powder that you dumped, but what I would do is to weight 10 "samples" and then take the average and use that as your "load weight."

Maybe you could hook up with someone that has a chrono and send a few through that before doing the entire 1K rounds.

Good advice thanks!

somoss

Silver Spring
    Feb 18, 2006
    trying to "fix" them by pulling and reloading them is a time consuming process.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    bara4033

Latest threads

Top Bottom