• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Balzer94

Feb 27, 2011
    Well it seems like a good loophole method to allow you import 190 proof into Maryland :innocent0

They probably closed that loophole by allowing the current stuff she uses. So strong your esophagus would melt after drinking and so expensive you couldnt afford to drink it

Mickey the Dragon

Ultimate Member
    Feb 19, 2009
    Ohio
    Cleaning equipment used to mix medications such as hormone supplements or liquid/cream numbing agents and simple medication for kids who cant take pills.

Hence the requirement that it not be poison (isopropyl or methanol), got it. Then, like others have already said, I'd probably just go with the approved cleaning solution and avoid the scenario where she's telling an inspector "Oh, we go to Jimbo's Last Stop Liquor Shop over in Virginia to pick up all of our high-test moonshine. They don't sell that good shit here in Maryland."

Balzer94

Feb 27, 2011
    Can she use denatured ethanol? It usually sells for $20/gal. A 5% denatured solution (with methanol) would be 190 proof.... of course if this is going to go on something that may be used in oral contact or related, that's probably a no go.

Yeah thatd be a no go.

rpker

Ultimate Member
    Jun 26, 2009
    Charles County
    I'll just say this without any real explanation....look around at a few liquor stores. I have seen actual everclear for sale more than once, recently.

adit

ReMember
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 20, 2013
    DE
    They probably closed that loophole by allowing the current stuff she uses. So strong your esophagus would melt after drinking and so expensive you couldnt afford to drink it

Delaware is your friend.

Dan_Br

Jan 19, 2013
    Carroll County
    My girlfriend is in the hunt for some 190 proof everclear. The type of work she does strictly requires she have 190proof alcohol or higher to clean the equipment she uses. They currently are spending a boat load buying this special 199 proof cleaning agent but looking to find a cheaper alternative. Are there any bordering states that sell real 190 proof everclear?

Delaware, and no tax

I use it for shellac finishes on period furniture and had to go to DE to get mine.
    Did not know of MD compliant 189 proof, that would work for me

willtill

The Dude Abides
    MDS Supporter
    May 15, 2007
    Everclear + Railroad rail + Front teeth = Bad event

Been there... done that :sad20:

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Cleaning equipment used to mix medications such as hormone supplements or liquid/cream numbing agents and simple medication for kids who cant take pills.

Then I would be VERY careful with 199 proof stuff, as most of that uses various other solvents to remove the last bit of water. We used to use 98% in the lab, and that was not pure ethanol.

Denatured alcohol should be fine, as the methanol, as well as ethanol, evaporates.

Amazing that 190 proof (95% alcohol) is OK, but 189 (94.5% alcohol) is specifically prohibited.

WeaponsCollector

EXTREME GUN OWNER
    Mar 30, 2009
    Southern MD
    Maryland: "Keeping the children safe" .5% ABV at a time.
    Get 1 bottle of the expensive 199 proof "approved" stuff and a couple bottles of 189 proof Everclear then carefully mix them together. You save money and you're still well over 190 proof. Now pour it back into the "approved" bottle for use and refill the other bottles and label them as to what's in it and that it's not for consumption. Refill the "approved" bottle as needed. I am not a lawyer.

Attachments

• everclear.JPG
      everclear.JPG
      143.7 KB · Views: 482

jmike1487

Ultimate Member
    Aug 27, 2013
    Baltimore County
    Get 1 bottle of the expensive 199 proof "approved" stuff and a couple bottles of 189 proof Everclear then carefully mix them together. You save money and you're still well over 190 proof. Now pour it back into the "approved" bottle for use and refill the other bottles and label them as to what's in it and that it's not for consumption. Refill the "approved" bottle as needed. I am not a lawyer.

Sounds like the best " solution"

Half-cocked

Senior Meatbag
    Mar 14, 2006
    You can't even buy 100% rubbing alcohol at CVS anymore.

Apparently it's diluted with 20% water now. Government is "protecting" us from ourselves.

No thank you.

Rubbing alcohol is isopropyl alcohol, not ethanol. It would kill you if you tried to drink it. The water content in rubbing alcohol actually increases its ability to sterilize, because pure alcohol cannot penetrate cell walls very well. The water actually helps the alcohol to infiltrate the cell membrane.

You can buy pure (99%+) isopropyl alcohol, fwiw, in the form of gas line dryer, labeled "iso-heet", in the red bottle (regular "heet" in the yellow bottle is methanol, i.e. wood alcohol, and is also toxic.)

Pure ethanol is available as Kleen-strip "green", and is sold in paint departments, but contains a denaturant to make it toxic to drink, so it may not be suitable for all purposes.
    Standard Kleen-strip alcohol is a blend of ethanol and methanol and is labeled for use as a stove fuel.

To summarize, if you want pure (well, 95%) ethanol with no toxins, stick with Everclear. Not all alcohols are the same molecule, and anything labeled "alcohol" - even ethanol which isn't taxed and labeled for consumption - is going to make you very sick or kill you.

CruncherBlock

Mar 29, 2016
    Sidebar questions: How much safer is it to drink 94.5%? Is 95% Everclear the same as 'moonshine' and if not, what is the difference?

Sidebar questions: How much safer is it to drink 94.5%? Is 95% Everclear the same as 'moonshine' and if not, what is the difference?

Regulated 95% vs. 94.5% is trivial.
    The next paragraph is coming from someone (me) with extensive knowledge in water quality and chemistry...

The moonshine question is more about the scruples of the distiller. Methanol (the first to become steam/alcohol) can cause blindness and a whole bunch of other problems. A guy who wants an extra $20 per batch and risks everyone's safety is a demon.
    I would avoid backyard moonshine unless you fully trust the distiller- not the guy you're buying it from.
    I have never heard of moonshine >85%; laboratory conditions are required for that. Billybob could never pull that off due to alcohol being hygroscopic (attracting moisture), et al.
    EX: Alcohol, silica desiccant and CaCL (DampRid) are hygroscopic because they actively suck moisture out of the air. A hillbilly moonshine still would require a zero humidity vacuum to get that high of an alcohol percentage. A moonshiner in Arizona couldn't pull it off, let alone Appalachia or The Mid Atlantic.

Be careful when considering the purchase of bootleg alcohol- there are several really bad things that could happen.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    GD-3

Latest threads

Top Bottom