• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jef291

Nov 3, 2013
    Does anyone have a starting load/powder for jacketed 170-180 gr bullets? I came into 1000 of these and cant find any data in subsonic in this bullet weight. I do not know the bullet manufacture. They had been purchased at a show in large plastic bag. they are flat base copper plated pointed solid tip and weigh at 170-172 gr on scale.

jef291

Nov 3, 2013
    I do not know the bullet manufacture. They had been purchased at a show in large plastic bag. they are flat base copper plated pointed solid tip and weigh at 170-172 gr on scale.

JailHouseLiar

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 26, 2013
    Timonium, Maryland
    Does anyone have a starting load/powder for jacketed 170-180 gr bullets? I came into 1000 of these and cant find any data in subsonic in this bullet weight. I do not know the bullet manufacture. They had been purchased at a show in large plastic bag. they are flat base copper plated pointed solid tip and weigh at 170-172 gr on scale.

What powder, what gas system, what barrel length?

PM me and I'll help you out best I can.

Winterborn

Moved to Texas
    Aug 19, 2010
    Arlington, TX

What is your goal for this bullet? What type of gun?

If this is a semi-auto, chances are that any load that is subsonic with that bullet will not cycle the action, pick up a new round, and/or lock the bolt back on empty.

As mentioned above, the type/length of gas system, powder you are using, barrel length, etc... all factor into a subsonic load for 300 BLK.

Also, are you running this suppressed or un-suppressed? Makes a huge difference on gas pressure.

I have some 180gr bullets that I would love to run subsonic, but as my only 300 BLKs are both semi's I have not had much luck.

Good luck, I'm interested in what you find.

wgttgw

Apr 10, 2011
    Cambridge
    I don't want anyone to take this the wrong way and bust my chops, but what is all the fascination with subsonic in the blackout? Are there that many people with suppressors? Are they that quite without a suppressors? I don't have a suppressor for mine you I just load for function and accuracy.

Sierra has a free PDF out there (IIRC it has even been linked here) with data on 175-180 gr bullets. It lists 14.6 gr of H4198 at 1350 fps. I have no idea if that will cycle your gun, but I would start there and go up or down as you need.

Kingjamez

Gun Builder
    Oct 22, 2009
    Fairfax, VA
    I don't want anyone to take this the wrong way and bust my chops, but what is all the fascination with subsonic in the blackout? Are there that many people with suppressors? Are they that quite without a suppressors? I don't have a suppressor for mine

Just because you don't have a suppressor, doesn't meant other people don't.

wgttgw

Apr 10, 2011
    Cambridge
    That was really my point, not to question anyone. Do you guys who mention subsonic a lot have suppressors? Subsonic being below 1126 fps and data available for 1350 fps with the bullet weight the OP mentioned is the 224 fps really that much different in sound? I ask because I don't know and really would like to understand.

Again I don't have a suppressor, I have not tried the blackout loaded subsonic, but in some guns which I have loaded subsonic the sound was not that much different.

Winterborn

Moved to Texas
    Aug 19, 2010
    Arlington, TX
    I don't want anyone to take this the wrong way and bust my chops, but what is all the fascination with subsonic in the blackout? Are there that many people with suppressors? Are they that quite without a suppressors? I don't have a suppressor for mine you I just load for function and accuracy.

Subsonics are A LOT quieter even without a supressor. It is kind of a challenge for me to find a load that will cycle the action and chamber another round (I only shoot AR BLKs) while still remaining subsonic. So far, the heavier the bullet the better with this, along with a shorter (pistol length) gas system.

I don't have a suppressor either, as its hard for me to justify +1k for one item (adds up - suppressor cost + trust + tax stamp, etc...). I'd rather buy guns/ammo with that money.

That was really my point, not to question anyone. Do you guys who mention subsonic a lot have suppressors? Subsonic being below 1126 fps and data available for 1350 fps with the bullet weight the OP mentioned is the 224 fps really that much different in sound? I ask because I don't know and really would like to understand.

Again I don't have a suppressor, I have not tried the blackout loaded subsonic, but in some guns which I have loaded subsonic the sound was not that much different.

You should try it, its amazingly soft shooting and pleasant. Another challenge is maintaining accuracy with subs, but they really are designed for inside 100yds. At 200 yds my accuracy is terrible.

The difference in sound is due to the sonic boom of the bullet. As it breaks the sound barrier that gives is the distinctive "CRACK" sound.

Another reason to develop a sub-load that cycles and is reliable at short ranges is the home defense option, where a muted shot without the sonic crack might be nice to have when you are shooting inside, or at an indoor range.

I am working on sub loads due to the fact that I can cast 230gr bullets from free lead, and thus my ammo cost is very low. I really enjoy shooting my blackout, and when I shoot cast lead subs it is very cheap.

Rich

jef291

Nov 3, 2013
    Ok back to original topic. I have a 11.5 AAC and an 8 AR uppers SBRs and AAC 7.62SDN6 can. I will purchase what ever powder is recommended. For the person who thought the cost of the stamp and 800 for can. If you use the one I have you can use it on 308 bolt guns. ARs and 5.56, 300 BLK, 5.7 and so on so you only have one cost and several gun/caliber combos. It helps when you need to dispose of critters and don't want neighbors complaining

Klunatic

Ultimate Member
    Feb 28, 2011
    Montgomery Cty
    I know Lehigh defense use 11 grains of Alliant 1680 with a 194 grain bullet. With 180 grain and the pistol length gas system I would start at 10 and see what you get.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom