Need Some Nipple Help! (For a BP Pistol)

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Boonsboro

Aug 26, 2009
    Washington County
    I need some help finding an odd sized black powder pistol nipple. I am currently restoring an original E. Whitney Navy Revolver (1858-1862). The nipples were completely rusted. I contacted Dixie Gun Works and they told me that 6x.75 would fit the pistol. Having replacements in hand, I was able to drill out the old ones. Now I'm stuck. The replacements Dixie sold me won't fit. The thread measurement on the originals is 40 tpi. I have contacted probably a dozen "experts" and shops who have all told me they never heard of that fine of a thread in a nipple. I have Googled this topic so much that I am brain tired and can't find any replacements.

Any suggestions or help from my MD Shooters family would be much appreciated.

Attachments

• DSCF6865.jpg
      DSCF6865.jpg
      35.8 KB · Views: 422

hvymax

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 19, 2010
    Dentsville District 28
    If it was a repro it would be a simple drill/tap matter. Since this is a real one maybe you could find a machine shop or gunsmith to either cut/rethread an existing nipple or make you a set from scratch. Welcome to the wonderful world of restoration.

SOMDSHOOT

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 18, 2009
    Indian Head
    It's a shot in the dark, but, have you tried the aftermarket Flint River nipples for Traditions revolvers? I had a similar situation with a few of my small caliber rifles, which I found out later, most of everything was a "universal" fit. I ended up finding that the #7264 nipples did the job on a few of my muzzleloaders, plus a few of my buddy's revolvers. The come 5/box for a reason I guess. But, they did the job I needed them to. The same issue was with factory replacement nipples, the threads were too coarse and I needed a finer thread and the 7264's were the hit on the bull.

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    I need some help finding an odd sized black powder pistol nipple. I am currently restoring an original E. Whitney Navy Revolver (1858-1862). The nipples were completely rusted. I contacted Dixie Gun Works and they told me that 6x.75 would fit the pistol. Having replacements in hand, I was able to drill out the old ones. Now I'm stuck. The replacements Dixie sold me won't fit. The thread measurement on the originals is 40 tpi. I have contacted probably a dozen "experts" and shops who have all told me they never heard of that fine of a thread in a nipple. I have Googled this topic so much that I am brain tired and can't find any replacements.

I'm curious about how you came up with the 40 tpi figure.

mbz300sdl

Gone living free now!!!
    Apr 12, 2010
    South Carolina

Have you talked to Tim down at Hafer's?

Adams74Chevy

Hits broadsides of barns
    Oct 3, 2007
    Carroll Co.

Were you the one that bought it at the auction last Sunday in Emmitsburg?

SOMDSHOOT

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 18, 2009
    Indian Head
    I'm curious about how you came up with the 40 tpi figure.

Standard #11 Percussion nipples are Metric 6 x 1mm

Musket nipples are M8 x 1mm

Revolver nipples are M6 x .75

The first digit determines the Thread Per Inch count / diameter:

#6 = 40 in fine thread

But in my opinion and learning from blackpowder / muzzleloader parts is that #6 = 33.87 tpi

The U.S. uses a UTS ( Unified Thread Standard ) just like Metric and Standard measurements. So, when you got to buy a nut for a bolt, the new will fit the old rusted bolt.

Double numbers for example 6-32 X 1 whereas the 6 is the TPI and the second number determines the "pitch" of the threads.

See this chart for example:
    http://www.boltdepot.com/fastener-information/Measuring/US-TPI.aspx

SOMDSHOOT

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 18, 2009
    Indian Head
    This was an all steel percussion revolver of .36 caliber originally made in 1861.
    Whitney's first pistol was a .36 caliber, 6-shot revolver with a 7 1/2 inch barrel and solid frame, similar to the Remington.

From 1857 to 1862, Whitney produced more then 33,000 of these pistols.

Early production was marked "Eagle Co." ( E ) on the barrel. Whitney sold these to the military as the Navy Model Percussion Revolver. Nearly half of the production was purchased by the government.

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county

#6 = 40 in fine thread

But in my opinion and learning from blackpowder / muzzleloader parts is that #6 = 33.87 tpi

The U.S. uses a UTS ( Unified Thread Standard ) just like Metric and Standard measurements. So, when you got to buy a nut for a bolt, the new will fit the old rusted bolt.

Double numbers for example 6-32 X 1 whereas the 6 is the TPI and the second number determines the "pitch" of the threads.

Thanks, but I was asking the OP where he got that number for his pistol.

lee2

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Oct 8, 2007
    Need Some Nipple Help! (For a BP Pistol)

damn there goes an interesting thread.:D

andyman

Former Senior Member
    Dec 29, 2008
    pg county

#6 = 40 in fine thread

The #6 in the nomenclature determines the diameter of the fastener, the x32 would represent the threads per inch which also determines the thread pitch. This is the same standard used for larger standard bolts and nuts but when you go smaller than 1/4 inch they swicth to a numeric standard used for screws. A #6x32NC would be a rather small screw. The drill bit used prior to tapping would be .1065" diameter and the final thread depth would be around .1365 +/-

andy

SOMDSHOOT

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 18, 2009
    Indian Head
    The #6 in the nomenclature determines the diameter of the fastener, the x32 would represent the threads per inch which also determines the thread pitch. This is the same standard used for larger standard bolts and nuts but when you go smaller than 1/4 inch they swicth to a numeric standard used for screws. A #6x32NC would be a rather small screw. The drill bit used prior to tapping would be .1065" diameter and the final thread depth would be around .1365 +/-

andy

Thanks. ?

6-32 was an example for the secondary questionaire, it's not specifically what the primary poster is asking for.

SOMDSHOOT

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 18, 2009
    Indian Head
    6-32 X 1 = Number 6 screw 32 Threads Per Inch 1 Inch long
    # 0 = .060" Add .013" for each number.
    So #10 = .060" + (10 * .013) = .190"

huh?

I guess my "Bolt" example threw a few guys off and the rest of the math does not apply to the revolver nipple in question, great for replacing parts in the erector set but does nothing for black powder nipples. OK, back on target.

SOMDSHOOT

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 18, 2009
    Indian Head
    If you don't know what size nipple you need how can you order one? Just trying to help.

Please refer back to the opening post. We know what size nipple is theorectically the correct one, set by the standard that all BP revolvers are manufactured, however, the standard does not seem to fit, therefore, he's asking for information regarding actual replacement experiences. I guess we're all just trying to make sure we know what is "supposed" to fit at this point. LOL

kalister1

R.I.P.
    May 16, 2008
    Pasadena Maryland
    Please refer back to the opening post. We know what size nipple is theorectically the correct one, set by the standard that all BP revolvers are manufactured, however, the standard does not seem to fit, therefore, he's asking for information regarding actual replacement experiences. I guess we're all just trying to make sure we know what is "supposed" to fit at this point. LOL

When this pistol was made there was NO standard. Today you buy standard size nipples to fit into modern firearms. Modern Screws and Bolts became standardized during WWI or II I am not sure. It was done so we could share hardware with the British.

If the OP used a thread gage to measure 40 TPI he now needs to determine the Outside diameter of the nipple and buy or have made nipples that fit, or, reem out the cylinder and tap it for a modern nipple if none are to be found or made.

A modern tap and die set in both metric and standard can be very carefully used to find out if the cylinder is compatible with a modern thread. AS we have already read, not very likely. As has already been said, any machine shop can make and harden nipples to fit into the gun.

Maybe use some wax and thread it into to cylinder so you have something you can measure?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Kdaily1127

Latest threads

Top Bottom