• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gre24ene

Ultimate Member
    Mar 6, 2012
    I need some recommendations for a crono. Currently I'm doing most of my shooting indoors (On Target) so I need it to work in low to medium lighting. It needs to be able to be mounted on a tripod, and run on batteries. And not break the bank.

Right now I'm reloading 9mm, 40 S&W, 45ACP, but will eventually reload 223/556, and 308.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Beware of Dog
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2013
    AA Co
    I have a Pro Chrono that works great outside, never honestly tried it indoors, but there are optional lighting kits for it and others to assist with low light shooting. It is battery operated, tripod mount, works great and won't break da bank.. lol

gre24ene

Ultimate Member
    Mar 6, 2012
    I spoke with "Ed" (manager) at On Target yesterday and he said it is OK to use a crono there. If you are familiar with OT, there is a red line about 3 feet in front of the shooting table. He said that it is OK to put it on the red line (or a little in front) and you can be approximately 2-3 feet behind the shooting table. So I'm guessing it would be about 6-7 feet from end of barrel to the crono.

I've read that 10 feet is the optimal distance, so is 6-7 feet OK?

gre24ene

Ultimate Member
    Mar 6, 2012
    Anyone? If anyone has a crono and a place to shoot, and doesn't mind bringing me along to test some rounds, I would be willing to picking up a lunch/bar tab.

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    Distance will depend on caliber and load. Remember it is not a question of if you will shoot your crono the question is when.

quickdraw17

I'd rather be shooting...
    Jun 24, 2013
    I use a Beta Chrony, it's pretty reasonably priced and easy to use, and I haven't had any issues with it. The distance you place it is largely dependent on what you're shooting. For standard, non magnum handguns, I placed it about 5 feet from the muzzle, no issues. I placed it 10 feet for my 308 with suppressor. As for my 300 mag with brake...I kept it about 20 feet away due to the significant muzzle blast. Muzzle blast can damage the chrony, but can also give you bad readings.

As for shooting without hitting your chrono...my suggestion is that you don't try and shoot a target, just concentrate on getting the round through the chrono without hitting it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Shive62

Latest threads

Top Bottom