• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    I find them to be easier than a plain edge with a sharpmaker...with just a rod, I find them to be a nightmare.

Are you looking for something in the same general size? I do not think they've made runs of your exact knife in serious steel, but some of the other assisted openers of similar sizes from Kershaw/Ken Onion have been made in small runs. Ones I can think off of my head are the G10/S30V Leek, the Composite Leek (which uses high-hardness D2 tool steel mated with a tougher steel), Kershaw Scallion in S30V, Damascus, and a 440B IIRC. With that said, options are limited. (Kershaw has made the Cyclone in many steels all the way up to ZDP-189, but it is a larger folder).

If you are flexible on exact size and will consider others, you can find something a good bit better as that particular knife was never designed for the market of heavier usage and steel junkies. Honestly many of the one-handed openers like Benchmade’s AXIS are 1000 times easier to open and close one-handed and are all-around better knives. The Benchmade Mini Grip AXIS, for example, is available in 440C, 154CM, S30V, D2, (shortly) S35VN, M2, and M4 …all of which are massive jumps in performance and move up incrementally. Many of the smaller Spyderco folders also offer easier to use locks and better steels. I think if you went to one of the stocking dealers to handle a bit of everything that you would quickly find yourself liking another folder significantly more and you will find it much easier to operate…actually, I’d bet money on it.

Spyderco is also ramping up production on some folders made in CTS-XHP. While I've not had much experience with it, a friend of mine who works in the industry and always gets the coolest things first tells me it is easier than 154CM to sharpen (which is one of the easiest steels to sharpen used today), but holds an edge like S90V (which has some of the best edge retention of any steel used today), and can take a beating like CPM-3V (which is one of the tougher of steels used today)...prices will probably be high, but they will be bad ass.

that cts-xhp seems like cool stuff. My wallet and my internal knife-snob are currently in an argument over this knife.
    http://www2.knifecenter.com/item/HT...r-Bowie-Blade-CTS-XHP-Black-Blade-MFDRGHMGDBH

NickZac

Ultimate Member
    Aug 12, 2007
    Baltimore, MD
    that cts-xhp seems like cool stuff. My wallet and my internal knife-snob are currently in an argument over this knife.
    http://www2.knifecenter.com/item/HT...r-Bowie-Blade-CTS-XHP-Black-Blade-MFDRGHMGDBH

I REALLY like that...the blade grind looks fantastic and the handle looks really ergonomic. Everything I hear about CTS-XHP sounds like it will be the first supersteel that is as easy to work with as a soft stainless, but with incredible edge retention and toughness. If it is truly as easy to sharpen as 154, then it means a crude field sharpening using bark and jeans is enough to get the knife to a sharp workable edge, which IMHO is always a big plus...

NickZac

Ultimate Member
    Aug 12, 2007
    Baltimore, MD
    FYI, in stock...
    http://kershawguy.com/products-page/kershaw-blems/composite-leek-blem-2/

That's prolly as close as you will get to what you have, as the Leek is just a size up. However, the use of a composite blade will give you worlds better edge retention.

The blade steel is D2 tool steel, so it's going to be a night and day difference that is more of a giant leap than a step up. And for under $40, it's probably the cheapest folder on the marker you will find in D2.

shaddydan

ADHD chicken fighter
    Oct 22, 2010
    Hydes
    Thanks guys! I do like that one! I knew there would be enough "knife geeks" on the forum to help me out!

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    FYI, in stock...

That's prolly as close as you will get to what you have, as the Leek is just a size up. However, the use of a composite blade will give you worlds better edge retention.

The blade steel is D2 tool steel, so it's going to be a night and day difference that is more of a giant leap than a step up. And for under $40, it's probably the cheapest folder on the marker you will find in D2.

ahem...
    If you want your kershaw, but with better steel...get this....
    $40 and d2 steel cutting edge.

:innocent0:D

NickZac

Ultimate Member
    Aug 12, 2007
    Baltimore, MD
    Good pick!...I think you will really like it.

You may want to look into a strop as well. D2 has exceptional resistance to edge deformation...in other terms, is dulls slowly. If you give it a few passes on a strop every few days, you can keep the knife razor sharp at all times and not even have to use a stone or sharpener system. You can find entry strops for around $10 and really nice ones for not much more.

Kagetsu

Feb 4, 2009
    http://www.knifecenter.com/item/GB4...ife-Stainless-Steel-w-Contractor-Razor-Cutter
    this will be the best box cutting knife you can fold up and keep in your pocket.
    tvblog.png

Wow, that looks perfect. I carry a Griptillion for a real need but a small flat thing with a one side razor blade for box, shrink wrap and for "hey, y'a got a knife I can borrow a sec?" But it opens in my pocket and when the razor broke I abandoned it. A box knife is too big.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    Been happy with my Milwaukee utility knife for carboard and boxes, line cutter/wire strippers, and a piston lock, basically push the putton and the blade easily flips open, or closed, Home Depot has them. That way my good stuff stays sharp

Milwaukee-FASTBACK-Knife-48-22-19011.jpg

shaddydan

ADHD chicken fighter
    Oct 22, 2010
    Hydes
    I got the kershaw! Thanks for all the help gang! I'm surprised how light it is and I really like the wavy pattern in the steel, makes it look cool:thumbsup:

Attachments

• IMAG0353-picsay.jpg
      IMAG0353-picsay.jpg
      89.6 KB · Views: 142

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads