• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • skylighter

Oct 29, 2011
    Our cub scout den is hosting a "Cowboy Action Shootout" for kids in the Pack aged 6-9. We are going to have 5 stations where the kids can shoot at various targets with a single shot Nerf gun.

My intention here is to show the scouts how to properly hold the Nerf Gun, how to properly look down the sights, and basic range safety as if it was a real pistol.

The obvious targets are solo cups. But I was hoping to find 15 different and interesting targets that would knock down easily when it with a Nerf dart.

Any suggestions?

Danny Clark

Rem700fan

Ammo Disposal Expert
    Jul 11, 2012
    Eastern Panhandle, WV
    Tape pics of deer, bear, zombies, spongebob, etc to the cups.
    Rack ping pong balls up like pool balls, place a few cups around below and see how many they make in.
    My favorite for nerf hunting are politicians on TV.

Waitwhat

Feb 19, 2013
    I'd recommend using empty soda cans instead of solo cups as the noise they make when hit is a bit louder and with kids the louder the noise the better.

+1 for taping pictures of zombie heads to whatever you decide to use since zombies are the monster of the moment. If it's cowboy action themed, maybe pictures of western outlaws instead.

rob-cubed

In need of moderation
    Sep 24, 2009
    Holding the line in Baltimore
    My favorite for nerf hunting are politicians on TV.

So it's not just me playing Elvis in my living room? :party29:

There's a fairly nice target for airsoft that should work well for Nerf, it self-resets and is available at Wal-Mart:
    http://www.amazon.com/UTG-AccuShot-Airsoft-Competition-Auto-Reset/dp/B002GO05ZI

Targets aren't real large but my 10-year old could hit them from 10-15 feet regularly. Be a good "challenge".

In fact the cheap cockable airsoft are more fun and WAY more accurate than Nerf. The 1911 clone is the best. My kid was shooting it at 6... I realize you have some liability issues but if there's only a couple kids on the line at a time, no eyes will be shot out. The airsoft BBs hardly even sting.

damifinowfish

Ultimate Member
    Dec 14, 2009
    Remulak
    2 liter bottles

Shapes cut out of dry wall, ply wood, thick cardboard, or other cheap thick material hung on strings.

1/2 in diameter plastic pipe bent in a circle, ends attached with coupling joint hung with string for them to shoot through

Kids plastic bowling set. About $10 in Wallyword. Set this up as regular bowling but they have three shots to knock down as may pins as possible.

Take a 4x8 sheet of hard board from lowes or Home depot. Cut holes of various shapes and sizes. Give each hole a point value, big hole 1 small hole 10. Give them 5 shots, best score wins a prize.

Bottles out of the recycling bin

Large Plastic toys

Take a trip to the dollar store & goodwill. Walk around and look for take right size cheap target to shoot at. You would be surprised what you will come up with.

Hope This Helps

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    With the sheet hardboard idea, you can staple a simple cloth bag to the bag for each hole to avoid confusion/conflict over which hole it went through.

skylighter

Oct 29, 2011
    I just wanted to say thank for all of the ideas. I think this is going to be a really fun event for the kids.

Danny

lotofpez

Feb 10, 2011
    Cumberland
    I would shoot at the 4 or 5 inch army men when I was a kid. Not sure where you can find them today but they have to be out there somewhere.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    tyreseveronica

Latest threads

Top Bottom