• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • OLM-Medic

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 5, 2010
    I wouldn't lose too much sleep about capacity. If you buy a revolver, get appropriate speedloaders and snap caps and practice speed loading the revolver with no live ammo in the room. Then always do drills to improve accurate shooting.

As far as caliber goes, choose the desired firearm in any good caliber. 9mm, 357 Mag, 357 Sig, 40 and 45 ACP are all effective with good loadings. 38 Special isn't bad at all. Shot placement will be the greatest factor given the performance of good modern antipersonnel ammo.

Come on now. There's a reason the revolver has been replaced. Magazines are a million times easier to change than speedloaders. Even so, 6 rounds is something to worry about especially when there may be multiple attackers.

balttigger

Ultimate Member
    Oct 15, 2008
    Middle River, MD
    It comes down to two factors. What do you shoot best, which one do you have confidence in. As long as you are on target, everything else is flotsam. I have everything from a .45 down to a .22WMR and would feel confident grabbing any of em if something happened and that was the closest one to me. If you try it out, feels good in your hand, shoots well and is within your price range....grab it up.

FNP, Sig, Glock, S&W, et. al. are all good manufacturers and make decent weapons. All depends on your personal needs, wants, desires...

kmb

Ultimate Member
    Jul 20, 2011
    FNP 45 is a nice "double stack" pistol, a bit salty but a good buy.

If you have big hands it's ideal :thumbsup:

OP - I fired a myriad of pistols. Glock 17/19/26/36/21/22/23, S'field XDM 9/40/45 - full size and compact, S'field XD 40M&P 9/45 - full size and compact, HK 9mm, Sig 9mm, 1911, S&W 3903/3913 9mm, Browning HP 9mm, revolvers from .38 to .41, FNX 9mm, FNP-45 Comp.

The best shooter was the Browning HP 9mm and FNP-45 Comp. I purchased an FNP-45 (not comp or tactical). I don't have big hands and the FNP comes with different back straps to adjust the grip size (as do most polymer framed pistols). Mine also came with 3 14+1 magazines and kydex holster.

However, the FNP with JHP is only on ready to allow time to get my SG loaded as I think a SG provides better power and take down than a pistol. Not saying a pistol is bad for HD/SD, just my preference. And this is debated a million times on this forum. Go with what feels best and is most comfortable to you. And most importantly train, train, train. Speed is good, accuracy is final.

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    Come on now. There's a reason the revolver has been replaced. Magazines are a million times easier to change than speedloaders. Even so, 6 rounds is something to worry about especially when there may be multiple attackers.

Never said mags weren't easier to change. They obviously are. And if there are multiple attackers, you are in more need than capacity. We are talking home protection here, not a battlefield assault. I am saying being competent with a revolver is a good option. How many times have we heard of shootings taking place and only one or two shots out of whole mag hit the intended target? I use both autos and revolvers in my home and personal protection plan. There is place and application for both.

What about the suggestions of shot guns in the more for self defense -eight shots in the extended mag tube. Sounds like a viable rationale for a 7 or 8shot auto or revolver.

No matter how you slice it and dice it, it still comes down to the person yielding the handgun. We each make the choices we do with the information gathered and what appeals to us.

Oct 27, 2008
    Dundalk, Hon!
    Auto vs revolver capacity - I read a lot of "armed citizen" stories, and can recall none of them where the homeowner needed more than six rounds to settle the issue, and usually it's two or three. This is in cases where they actually had to fire. The vast majority of these situations end when the homeowner shows a gun or merely mentions it.

mike_in_md

Ultimate Member
    Feb 13, 2008
    Howard County
    Auto vs revolver capacity - I read a lot of "armed citizen" stories, and can recall none of them where the homeowner needed more than six rounds to settle the issue, and usually it's two or three. This is in cases where they actually had to fire. The vast majority of these situations end when the homeowner shows a gun or merely mentions it.

When I hear a bump in the night I can choose from several different handguns, but it is usually a 357 revolver that I feel most comfortable choosing because I do not want to have to deal with clearing jams. If it is a big bump in the night and I have enough time, I grap 2 guns; the 2nd gun is a semi auto...after all I do have two hands ;)

Chasbo00

Jun 30, 2012
    Northern VA
    My father and I recently went to continental over the course of a few weeks and tried out various handguns.

And i was wondering if we were to invest good money into a handgun to keep in our house for protection , what would be the best choice?

I really like the idea of double stack magazines (like the glocks) because more bullets means more protection and less chance to have to reload in a situation right?

Or would it be wiser to size up the stopping power and keep the capacity low with either a 357 revolver or single stack 45? (do they make double stack 45's?) I really liked the 357 that i shot because it made me feel confident that anything i would have to shoot would not be getting up and fighting back. Also really REALLY liked the fact it could use two ammo types (the 38 was fun to shoot , but i would have it loaded with magnum in the house for obvious reasons)

We shot the glock and we really liked the sighting it uses and got good groups. It seemed every time we used a 1911 or revolver with "target sights" our shots were always off in a predictable form, do these sights "creep" out of alignment over time as these were range guns? Or is it just the difference in ergonomics and action in comparison to the glock?

Anyway any good advice would be great as to which would be a great home protector , i didnt shoot all the guns at continental but would be willing to go back if you have other suggestions to try out. :)

My recommendation is a Glock 17 or a full size Smith and Wesson M&P in 9mm.
    These are two inexpensive yet very reliable high-capacity pistols that are easy to shoot. With the right ammo, 9mm will work good enough (see below link).

http://ammo.ar15.com/project/Self_Defense_Ammo_FAQ/index.htm

niftyvt

Ultimate Member
    Aug 21, 2010
    Virginia
    Go with what fits/shoots best for you. If it's mainly for HD, don't be afraid to spend some more for something that just feels right to you.

I started out shooting Glocks - they shot well, went bang every time, just didn't feel 'Right' to me though, went thru a lot of diff't handguns before I found what felt 'Right' for me - turns out HK's, Browning Hi-Power's and S&W's M&P just hit that itch perfectly.

Pick a caliber your comfortable with, and can afford to shoot often - skills diminish if your not practicing often, majority of handgun calibers - placement is going to be more key than bullet diameter - a S&W .500 don't mean a thing if you can't hit the target. ;)

I am the opposite. I shot lots of other things and settled on a gen4 G19 because it shoots amazing, and is big enough to fight with yet small enough to conceal.

I will quote James Yeager on this one, because he is hilarious and I agree (edits for language in parenthesis):

"All guns should be Glocks.
    All Glocks should be 9mm.
    All Glock 9mms should be Model 19s.

I have chosen the Glock for all of the reasons it has been heralded for over 20 years. It is simple, rugged, accurate and reliable. Are Glocks ugly? Yes but if you compare ugly women to strippers, like I do Glocks and “pretty” pistols, you can appreciate the ugly Glocks. Strippers are pretty and might be “fun” but they have a lot of baggage, are high maintenance, and are unreliable. Ugly women are more appreciative of your attention, they know how to cook and they will take care of you when you get sick.

It is no secret to any of my thousands of students I am a fan of the Glock 19. Why the 19 instead of the 26 or 17? My thought is that the 19 is big enough to fight with and small enough to carry. I do carry a 26 as a back-up though and I do recommend the 17 for my students that are taller than 6’4”.

Safeties?

Reminds me of Tommy Boy.....

Here's the way I see it. A gun company puts a fancy safety on a gun 'cause they want you to feel all warm and toasty inside. And why shouldn't it? Ya figure you put that safety under your pillow at night, the "Safety Fairy" might come by and leave a quarter, am I right? The point is, how do you know the Safety Fairy isn't a crazy glue sniffer? "Building model airplanes" says the little fairy; well, we're not buying it. He sneaks into your house once, that's all it takes. The next thing you know, there's money missing off the dresser, and your daughter's knocked up. I seen it a hundred times. They know they sold you a safe piece of (poo). That's all it is, isn't it? Hey, if you want me to take a dump in a box and mark it safe, I will. I got spare time."

Lawman1800

Jul 29, 2012
    To get real real HD guns are for killing people. Your much better off with a shotgun or rifle for HD but if you really feel the need to get a pistol get a gun that is comfortable in your hand and that you shoot well. I carry a revolver on my ankle as a back up gun as a leo but I do not recommend them for HD. Caliber honestly doesnt matter so much, pistols suck at stopping people. With a pistol of any caliber the key is shot placement. Get a quality pistol you know will go bang and load it with bonded hollow points that meet the FBI protocols and your good to go.

GRAY GHOST

The 43rd
    Jul 24, 2012
    C.S.A.
    well if its a 110 pound crackhead ur shooting then get a 9mm or 40 . that will get the job done, but if u want to shoot a 300 pound mad man that wants to kill ur family then i would get a shot gun, 00 buck puts any man in their place. if its a hand gun u want i say .45 or 44mag.

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    My experience with single stacks are with 1911's and I love a good 1911 (Kimber or better). Yet in regards to double stacks I have experience with the xD 45 (.45ACP 13rd mags w/4 inch barrel), H&K P2000 (.40S&W 12rd mags), Glock 22 (.40S&W 15rd mags 4.49 inch barrel), Ruger P89 (9mm 15rd mags I think).

With revolvers, I have used everything from .22LR up to .44 MAG, yet the limitation of the revolver is lack of speed loading if you don't have a speed loader. I can flip between a revolver or an automatic fairly easily.

It becomes personal preference as to what you want. I prefer an automatic due to the ability to mount a light on to the weapon and also reloading is easier.

May your choice be easy.

AliasNeo07

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2009
    MD
    My advice would be a 9mm or 45 in a new, reliable design. I'd opt for a Glock, HK, Sig, M&P, XD, Walther, even something like a Ruger SR9. Personally I'd go with the M&P, Walther or Glock over the others. but its personal preference.

I would not choose a 1911 or revolver for a primary home defense weapon. I PERSONALLY am not comfortable with the capacity. 6 or 7 rounds is likely plenty, but when defending your loved ones you might want more. That's up to you. Nothing wrong with a 1911 or revolver for home protection...millions do it. But for my money I want more rounds.

You could go with a .40 but I'm partial to the recoil impulse of the 9mm or
    45 and with proper ammo they are similar in performance.

As for this talk of speedloaders and spare mags etc...its a nice thought, but its wishful thinking IMO. Sure plenty of people with well thought out systems have no problem with spare ammo. But the average homeowner is going to roll out of bed naked and grab his/her gun and that's it.

I think you asked about the PPQ vs Glock also. Meh. Either are fine. The PPQ might have a better trigger nut the aftermarked support for Glock is 100x better. You're also going to have to determine whether you want to deal with that walther/H&K style magazine release. IMO its not a big deal with training but some people really hate it.

Key is , whatever you get, don't throw it in the drawer and think you're safe. Think about how you are going to use it, and practice with it.

87Theworld

Nov 2, 2011
    Howard County
    Get a 9mm you like the most so you can practice shooting a lot. The gun will be the cheapest purchase ammo is where the money goes. Then buy yourself a used rem 870 or mossberg 500 for home defense. Depending on where you live a rifle could be a better choice. I know a lot of people don't train with their shotguns or rifles as much as their handguns anyway.

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    For home defense one of the last rounds I'd choose would be full house 44 Magnum. It wreaks of over penetration and the recoil will slow next shot delivery. One needs to be VERY practiced with it to be a viable arm.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mr88

Latest threads

Top Bottom