• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • drmike

Sep 20, 2012
    Hey folks-- new member here and ran into a problem thought I'd throw out and see if anyone here has seen it/fixed it before.

Just got a new Ruger Mini-30. Have an old Russian SKS, fun as heck to shoot but weighs a ton, so thought I'd double up on ability to burn up a lot of 7.62 ammo gathering dust. Found out that it won't feed any steel cased ammo. Changed out multiple mags, just won't feed. Had a few boxes of Winchester brass that fed without a problem. Yeah, can just get brass but it's a lot more expensive and have a lot of steel cased (South African make, not the crap East Bloc, but still oiled steel).

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Have you contacted Ruger? My understanding is that incompatibility with steel-cased ammo is a known issue with Mini-30s, and why you don't find many people recommending them.

I have heard that zinc-plated ammo (eg, Silver Bear) works better, if you're looking for an interim solution.

lkenefic

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    That's why I bought a crappy East-Bloc AK47 for the crappy East-bloc ammo... seems to be a perfect fit.

Warpspasm

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2010
    Harford, Co.
    My son has a Mini-30 and, as far as I know, it has never failed to function with Wolf steel cased ammo. It's a great rifle. Accurate and fun to shoot.

Hopalong

Man of Many Nicknames
    Jun 28, 2010
    Howard County
    When you say "new", which model is it? Is it a brand new model, or a "new to you" older model?

I have a a Mini-30 and have never had any issues with steel-cased ammo. Some other owners I've talked to have had issues, some haven't. It's something of a "hit or miss" proposition, and I've always wondered if it's something that changed between models or if it's just slightly different tolerances gun-to-gun within a production run.

Regardless, I can't suggest Mini-30s for shooting cheap, ComBloc steel ammo unless you don't mind taking a risk. I didn't mind, and I'm glad I did. If you want a sure bet, get an AK/Saiga or an SKS.

303_enfield

Ultimate Member
    May 30, 2007
    DelMarVa
    As stated, "new to you or the "new" Ruger mini 30". Old model had a .308 bore new model has a .310 bore. Surplus/Wolf 7.62x39mm is .311. If you have the old model you need to reload or buy Win 7.62x39mm, most has the .308 pill. Google a Ruger forum and run your serial number to find out what bore you have. Or cast the bore.

Good luck!

sgt23preston

USMC LLA. NRA Life Member
    May 19, 2011
    Perry Hall
    Sgt Preston here...

I'm going to give you the simple answer...

Don't feed your Min 30 steel cased ammo...

I'm not trying to be a smart ass, it's simply obvious...

Make it easy on yourself, feed your Mini brass cased ammo & enjoy you rifle...

Hope this is helpful...

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom