• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hvymax

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 19, 2010
    Dentsville District 28
    The other advantage of most semis is recoil absorbtion.Last year I broke down and got a Moss935 for$395(see sig) because the 835 really hurts in my old age. When my son was 7 and asked to try the 12ga I threw a 2 3/4 OObuck in it which rocked him pretty good but obviously did'nt hurt him. But since he had heard about others first 12ga experiences he decided to perform like it did. A little while later he asked for the 12ga again so this time I slipped in a 3 1/2"turkey mag in for him. Of course I caught the gun as he slid about 15' and commenced rolling on the ground. When he looked up at me I said "Your not fakin this time are ya?" He said no so I informed him if he wants to perform I got crap that hurts me. Ask Dan at MG about a certain 425grn bullet ahead of 90grns of powder in a handgun load. Sometimes it is about having the baddest biggest just because you can.

SOMDSHOOT

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 18, 2009
    Indian Head
    All of my shotguns are pumps, but, after a few years of more and more waterfowl and clays, I would much rather have the advantages of the semi for this stuff, I have just not made the effort to go buy one. It's ok for the occasional clay outing, but, crows, dove, and waterfowl, a standard old pump shotgun is a tough thing to keep up with when the birds are flying by or away.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    The limiting factor in shotguns is getting on to the next target, not the functioning of the gun.. For exhibition shooters it is a standard thing to demonstrate that in pure rapid fire a pumpis faster than the mechanical cycling time of a semi . For us mortals the pump is still plenty faster than we can aquire next target. Rather than being a seperate step, pumping is part of the process. The gun is pumped back while rising in recoil, and as you pump forward, you use the motion to move the gun twords next target. Conversley "for me" the vibration and rattling of a semi is dietracting, and throws me off my rythm.

Yes a gas operated semi does "reduce" recoil . Not being able to change the laws of physics, the total recoil energy is the same, but spread out over more milliseconds with shorter peak spike. For their first 100 years recoil operated semis had little or no recoil reduction. On the rare occasion I watch TV , the Sportsman Channel is full of ads fron Baeneli claiming a recoil reducing recoil operated semi. Maybe they have changed the laws of physics, but no first hand experience, nor extensive reaserch.

blackthorne

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 31, 2010
    Naptown
    While either of the guns you mentioned will work, the first time you shoot an autoloader you will sell the pump at a loss and buy and auto. I would recommend a reliable autoloader like a Beretta 3901. It's a 3" gun, but you don't need 3 1/2" gun for anything. If you really want a pump, also look at a Browning BPS. They are not that much more money at all and are three times the gun as the Mossy or cheaper 870s. Don't overlook minty 870 Wingmasters either.

SOMDSHOOT

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 18, 2009
    Indian Head
    Well, what did you buy ? We all know you ran right out and bought something already...

Hey guys I'm looking into buying my first shotgun and plan on using it for primarily skeet, turkey, and waterfowl. I am looking to get a pump gun and have narrowed my choices to the Mossberg 535 and 835 as well as the Remington 870 Super Mag.

I have seen some poor reviews on the newer 870s claiming they have bad jamming problems and aren't up to the manufacturing standards of the older guns. As for the Mossbergs I haven't seen much bad news except for rattling in the forearm and a harder kick.

Seeing as how I am new to the shotgun world I was wondering what the differences were between the two Mossberg models and the 870 are. Any advice and feed back would be greatly appreciated.

scudzilla66

Oct 12, 2010
    Annapolis
    Hey guys thanks for all your input, I went to Bass pro shops the other day and handled both guns and I have decided to go with the 835, it felt real good and it is currently on sale which doesnt hurt. Now I just gotta wait for pay day and I will post a picture as that seems to be the requirement with a newly acquired gun around here.

scudzilla66

Oct 12, 2010
    Annapolis
    Alright guys I got my gun last week and took it out shooting on Saturday and I love this gun. Here is the picture....toes included

Attachments

• 100_0356.jpg
      100_0356.jpg
      93.2 KB · Views: 68
    Oct 22, 2010
    Catonsville
    i know i am new to the site but I bought a Remington 870 Super Mag and the gun has not failed me for the 2000 rounds i have already put through it/ there are no jamming problems and the gun kicks like a shotgun/ im not sure what kind of kick u are looking for but for me it works fine
    my friend own the Mossberg 535 and that shotgun feels like a Mattel Toy but it works just as well at the sporting clay range and he has had it longer than mine
    either way u get higher quality with Remington
    by the way, u dont need a Super Mag/ the standard three inch barrel is fine/ trust me I amde the same mistake and I never used 3 1/2 inch shells

august1410

Marcas Registradas
    Apr 10, 2009
    New Bern, NC
    i know i am new to the site but I bought a Remington 870 Super Mag and the gun has not failed me for the 2000 rounds i have already put through it/ there are no jamming problems and the gun kicks like a shotgun/ im not sure what kind of kick u are looking for but for me it works fine
    my friend own the Mossberg 535 and that shotgun feels like a Mattel Toy but it works just as well at the sporting clay range and he has had it longer than mine
    either way u get higher quality with Remington
    by the way, u dont need a Super Mag/ the standard three inch barrel is fine/ trust me I amde the same mistake and I never used 3 1/2 inch shells

I'm definitely not trying to start the 870/500 argument again :)

I will mention that my 1971 Mossberg 500 has a much more solid feel to it than my 1992 Mossberg 500 did.

For the record, I will say I have nothing against the 870, but the Mossberg is better ergonomically for me.

tdt91

I will miss you my friend
    Apr 24, 2009
    Abingdon
    for those us us that know you Joe thats not suprising. :lol2::lol2::lol2::lol2:

Sorry, you left the door open again.:lol2:

BlueHeeler

Ultimate Member
    Apr 28, 2010
    Washington, DC
    I have used my 870 for skeet, trap, sporting clays and water fowl hunting. It performs very well and although I do pretty good with it I'm sure I am not as good as the gun. I can rack it very fast as those that have shot clays with me or hunted woth me will attest to. Sure, a semi is prolly faster but if your buying your first shotty, how fast will you be.

You cannot go wrong with an 870 Express for all purpose. :D

+1
    The 870 or Mossy is the way in without spending big dollars. Spend the money on ammo. I shoot trap and sporting clays with mine. TBH I would probably be a little better with a O/U or semi on the sporting clays range, but I like the challenge of getting good with gun I own. It is my HD gun so I want to be proficient with it.

You can spend as much as you want on a gun, but if you have not put in the time to practice it is wasted. You cannot buy your way to success.

EDIT: Oh this is an older thread, doh

Unspoken

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 11, 2010
    Ambassador of GA
    I'm definitely not trying to start the 870/500 argument again :)

I will mention that my 1971 Mossberg 500 has a much more solid feel to it than my 1992 Mossberg 500 did.

For the record, I will say I have nothing against the 870, but the Mossberg is better ergonomically for me.

I read the Mattel toy comment and thought to myself "oh no, hes invoked the wrath of Joe," but you handled that quite nicely. 870/500 arguement avoided.

Now guys, which is better, 9mm or .45ACP? :lol2:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    alfontso

Latest threads

Top Bottom