• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jimet

Feb 4, 2007
    Harford Co.
    Try advancing the timer knob a couple clicks. I've got one that will fill up and then just sit there unless you manually advance the knob, real pain. Hope that's not your problem, I understand the timer is the most expensive part of the machine.

Joker

Jan 31, 2009
    Harford County
    Actually I am leaning towards one of two problems. The first (which I can deal with) is a $45 lid switch. I checked 3 different sites and that's the average price. The second (which would cause the washer to meet the business end of my 870) is the $320 control board. I really hate appeasing my wife sometimes...

Jim12

Let Freedom Ring
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2013
    Actually I am leaning towards one of two problems. The first (which I can deal with) is a $45 lid switch. I checked 3 different sites and that's the average price. The second (which would cause the washer to meet the business end of my 870) is the $320 control board. I really hate appeasing my wife sometimes...

There's a shoot being planned at Delmarva in early May, I think. People are being creative with the targets they bring. :innocent0

Joker

Jan 31, 2009
    Harford County
    I have an old dead drier that I can donate if anyone wants to take it to the shoot... If not it will just go to the scrap yard in a couple weeks.

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia

May be a lid switch, could be a control board also. The internet is your friend. Type in your model number and problem and do a search. I've fixed three different problems on mine that way.
    FYI Circuitboardmedics.com does repairs on existing control boards for $60-$80. Much better than $320. I have a front loading Whirlpool washer and they fixed that for me. Only takes a couple days to do. Good luck.

protegeV

Ready to go
    Apr 3, 2011
    TX
    Just unplug the lid switch and use a paperclip to short the two terminals together on the connector. That's an easy way to verify or rule out a faulty lid switch.

jaybee

Ultimate Member

check out ebay if you don't mind waiting a week - looks like $5 or so plus

I bought a lot of appliance parts on ebay

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2050601.m570.l1313&_nkw=washer+lid+switch&_sacat=0

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odk...&_nkw=whirlpool+washer+control+board&_sacat=0

bkuether

Judge not this race .....
    Jan 18, 2012
    Marriottsville, MD
    Two years ago, we lost the dishwasher, and the washing machine at same time. Talk about crisis.... We lived without the dishwasher for a month. Hey we have kids... :rolleyes: Washing machine was the kicker. This was right before a cruise. We had tons of laundry to clean beforehand. HD had a sale, and we got it installed the day before we left. We did like 8 loads during the day to get ready. Three months later, we lost the dryer. All these appliances were original with the house. They all went up at about the same time.

So I understand these crisis things. I think, it is a matter of replacing them every 10 years or so. I didn't believe the theory that they are programmed to expire at 10, but now not so sure...... :tinfoil:

If you do end up replacing them, we went with LG, and have been very happy. When Whirlpool was their own company, they were pretty good. Now just part of Maytag, which is does NOT carry the reliability they touted for years. Both our original washer and dryer were Maytags. Never again. :sad20:

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code

GoGoGadget

Deplorable Member
    Mar 10, 2011
    A.A.Co. and Carteret Co. NC
    funny you should mention it. We just remodeled out kitchen and bought ALL whirlpool appliances :lol2:

We remodeled a few years ago with all Whirlpool/Kitchenaid - it's all garbage.

OP, I had a Whirlpool Dryer go up last year. I found a rebuild kit from Amazon for around $90 and did a full rebuild myself. It was fun, easy, and took maybe 2 hours.

Washers and dryers are very simple machines. Once you open them up, you also will realize how crappily they are build.

Jim12

Let Freedom Ring
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2013
    Bought upper range Whirlpool w/d last summer. After 2 months, interior plastic ring at top of washer tub started shredding. Found out from somebody in business that it's a well- known issue with that model. Repairman with an attitude came to look, immediately said it was from overloading. Not. No way, nohow. They fixed it, "just this time." That's what they think.

Bafflingbs

Gozer the Destroyer
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 16, 2013
    Calvert County
    funny you should mention it. We just remodeled out kitchen and bought ALL whirlpool appliances :lol2:

Im sure it's all fine stuff, protegeV:innocent0

We remodeled a few years ago with all Whirlpool/Kitchenaid - it's all garbage.

OP, I had a Whirlpool Dryer go up last year. I found a rebuild kit from Amazon for around $90 and did a full rebuild myself. It was fun, easy, and took maybe 2 hours.

Washers and dryers are very simple machines. Once you open them up, you also will realize how crappily they are build.

Now, kitchenaid stuff is supposed to be pretty good these days.

Whirlpool is better than most. Not perfect, but consistently score high for reliability in surveys.

I agree, they used to be. But these days, aside from their high end stuff, they're just tanking. Washers and dryers are ruled by the likes of Kenmore elite, LG and Samsung.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom