• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Joseph

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 13, 2009
    Clinton MD
    So I now have my new Zimmerman 10/22 and I am in the market for a scope. I am not experienced with the various brands and models so I am looking for some input.
    I don't want to spend more than 300$.
    I would like max magnification around 16 - 24 Adjustable objective and a mil dot reticle.

Any suggestions for these specs and price range?

I have a Centerpoint 4-9x50 AO on my pellet rifle which I am quite happy with.
    Anyone have any experience with the higher mag Centerpoint offerings?

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    So I now have my new Zimmerman 10/22 and I am in the market for a scope. I am not experienced with the various brands and models so I am looking for some input.
    I would like max magnification around 16 - 24 Adjustable objective and a mil dot reticle.

yes.. bought mine at a gunshow (chantilly).. so far its holding up on my rifles.

Redcobra

Senior Shooter
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 10, 2010
    Near the Chesapeake Bay

I'm a Nikon fan, but I think even a Buckmaster (Nikon low end) is more than you want to spend in that magnification. Might be able to get a
    Buckmasters 6-18x40 Side Focus Matte for $300.

rj1974

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2011
    Edgemere , md.

A friend of mine got a Mueller for his 10/22 . He likes it and it has an adjustable parallex down to 10 yards . He got the AVP.

http://swfa.com/Mueller-Riflescopes-C134.aspx

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code

i have a 4x16x 42 centerpoint...seems to work...it was $70...cant complain really...i think you can get them at walmart cheaper....but they seem to hold up...ive heard others say they are good too...its all depending on what you want to pay....

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    mine wears a nikon pro-staff 3-9x which, at least for me, seems more than enough magnification for the actual practical range of the .22 long rifle round.

Markp

Ultimate Member
    Dec 22, 2008
    Normally I wouldn't jump in, because I know little about scopes, but this little number seems well received and I wasn't disappointed with what I got. Has sunshade and rings too.

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=962234

I just got one today, I must say, I don't know how durable it is, but the price is right and looking through the scope mid day it's pretty nice. I can imagine on a .22 it will lead an easy undemanding life. Optics wise, it seems decent.

Mark

helg

Dec 26, 2008
    Here is 50yds target through my Barska 10-40x50 mounted on 22lr rifle. It is under $80, and you can clearly see holes on paper with the scope while you shoot.

Attachments

• 50yds-target.jpg
      50yds-target.jpg
      29.5 KB · Views: 445

tjdreams

Dave
    Nov 28, 2008
    Rosedale
    Normally I wouldn't jump in, because I know little about scopes, but this little number seems well received and I wasn't disappointed with what I got. Has sunshade and rings too.

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=962234

I just got one today, I must say, I don't know how durable it is, but the price is right and looking through the scope mid day it's pretty nice. I can imagine on a .22 it will lead an easy undemanding life. Optics wise, it seems decent.

Mark

I have had this very model on my SR-22 for over a year now and love it. For the money it's a grate scope, the optics are clear and it holds center just fine on my 22.
    I was out shooting yesterday and left my the SR-22 w/bi-pod setting on the bench next to me so i could use it as a spotting scope.
    I had no problems seeing the holes in the targets on the 100yd line from my Mule Kick Nagant.
    Only problem was the holes were in the target on the right i was aiming at the target 1 foot to the left.:confused:

robmints

Ultimate Member
    Jan 20, 2011
    http://theopticzone.com/category/36522/1/scopes-clearidge-ultra_xp.htm

http://swfa.com/Weaver-3-9x32-Classic-Rimfire-Rifle-Scope-P3141.aspx

http://swfa.com/Leupold-3-9x33-VX-II-Rimfire-EFR-Riflescope-P3277.aspx

I will lobby for the best you can afford. Do some research and pick the best one for you. Expensive is not better just because it is expensive but if you choose wisely you will get what you pay for. My first question is why do you need so much magnification? Second, what do you plan on doing with the gun? Third, why mil dot?

The Mueller has a thick reticle. If you are target shooting I don't think you will like it. Have you considered a nice target knob instead of the mil dot?

What are you doing for rings? If you have a weaver rail the burris signature zee rings are very nice.

I just went through exactly what you are going through. I got a Clearidge ultra rm 3x9-32. Real nice, similar to the efr, but made in Japan by LOW. Similar glass and manufacturing to the Bushnell Elite 4200. They have a higher mag scope called the xp but I did not feel the need. But the fine duplex is fine, it just depends on what you are going to do with the rifle. I bought a target dot reticle.

mdjamesd

Ultimate Member
    Mar 6, 2007
    Towson
    I've had a BSA mil dot 4-16 x 40 on my 10/22 for 3 years now, and its been great. I was surprised by how bright it was for the price. The eye relief is not the most forgiving, but overall I'm happy with it. The mil dots are nice for holdovers. I sighted it in at 50 yards, and at 16 x, 100 yards is the second mil dot.

Last edited:

haoleboy

1/2 Banned
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 17, 2005
    Dentsville
    mine wears a nikon pro-staff 3-9x which, at least for me, seems more than enough magnification for the actual practical range of the .22 long rifle round.
    +1, I have the same scope on my 10/22. I have had it on there for 8+ years and never felt the need to get a higher power.
    If you have trouble seeing your bullet holes with 9 power, then get some reactive targets.

JoeBobOutfitters.com

Industry Partner
    Oct 20, 2010
    Hays, KS
    We sell a boatload of the Mueller APV's, as mentioned above, for rimfire use. They have stellar glass quality for their price point. We have had people order 2-4 at a time for several builds/friends. They are by far our largest volume scope. We sell them 90% for rimfire shooters, and my rimfires mostly wear them.

What are your intended purposes? I personally wouldn't go much higher than 14 unless you intend to shoot solely from a bench. Even the 4.5-14x40AO starts to get a bit big on some guns. Any bigger, and you're starting to lug around a pretty big, top-heavy gun to plink around with.

As noted, the Mueller APV has the APV Plex, which is not as thin as target cross-hairs. I wouldn't get one if you plan to solely shoot bench 50yd+, as there are better reticle choices out there for that purpose.

MAPV451440-5.jpg

EL1227

R.I.P.
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 14, 2010
    Go CHEAP ...

It's a .22 ...

Sportsman's Guide has a BSA® Sweet .22 3-9x40 mm Scope for $39.97.

I have one and it performs flawlessly. What I like about it is that it has been specifically calibrated for the .22 LR round, with quick-change turrets for 36-gr., 38-gr. and 40-gr. bullets.

Respectively submitted;

edleary1227
    MDS resident 'penny-pincher-in-chief'

JoeBobOutfitters.com

Industry Partner
    Oct 20, 2010
    Hays, KS
    It's a .22 ...

Sportsman's Guide has a BSA® Sweet .22 3-9x40 mm Scope for $39.97.

I have one and it performs flawlessly. What I like about it is that it has been specifically calibrated for the .22 LR round, with quick-change turrets for 36-gr., 38-gr. and 40-gr. bullets.

Respectively submitted;

edleary1227
    MDS resident 'penny-pincher-in-chief'

No offense, but, I hear of many many problems with the Sweet22. IMO, BDC reticles for certain calibers are so hard to get "perfect" with all the tons of variations of ammo out there you will still be using kentucky windage. IMO, he'd be better off getting a "standard" scope if he's looking at the $50 and under pricepoint. The Centerpoint, Simmons 22mag, Tasco Golden Antler, etc are all "decent" scopes in that price range.

JoeBobOutfitters.com

Industry Partner
    Oct 20, 2010
    Hays, KS
    ^
    This.

I've never seen a BDC reticle of any brand actually work perfectly, as advertised. I'd much rather have a mil/moa scope, and use software to workout my hold-overs.

I think they're more of a marketing gimmick, especially with 22LR. I'm not a long range shooter, and I don't claim to be, but with all the variables in elevation, temperature, barometric pressure, velocity, bullet BC, barrel length, semi auto/bolt action...I don't see how a BDC reticle would be close at 150 yards even with a proper bullet weight turret, but I also can't say I've shot one, due to my disbelief in the system. I'm more of a "kentucky windage" get-err-dun shooter when it comes to rimfires at a longer distance :lol2:

another recommendation for a Mueller:
    best price for it propably at OpticsPlanet.

Pffffttt :tdown: :sad20:

I believe Optics Planet is a stocking dealer for Mueller, but some items they are not. I've always had good experiences up until recently. I ordered 2 holsters that took ~6 weeks to get...

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Shive62

Latest threads

Top Bottom