• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    Much if the recoil characteristics are affected by the mainspring. If you need a lighter recoil spring to keep the front sights from dipping (with a 16 or 18.5 pound recoil spring firward battering of the impact areas is a nonissue) you may find ye pistol whips back hard and a buffer won't help much on that respect. So you can use a heavier mainspring (closer to stock 23 pound). This delays unlocking more same as using a square bottom firing pin stop. The firing pin stop, mainspring and recoil spring are all interrelated in this respect. Fit of yhr pistol will effect the actual vslues as well as shooters grip, strength, arm weight and so on. While there are setups which are standard for say a bullseye softball gun, a USPSA major limited gun, stock and open class autos for respective games, the fine tuning comes down to the shooter and the load.

I built a 5" 1911 which fits and nestles in my hand like a glove. Fits my son's hand, too, so he has commandiered it. Anyway, through a basic setup and spring value adjustment we have a recoil spring, firing pin stop and mainspring setup for the 4.2 BE 200 grain load and the same components for ball power loads. If changing the mainspring is an issue, and it can be at the range, fit another mainspring housing for the "loose" mainspring. Then change outs at the range is a no brainer.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Thinking about it, many extra power recoil springs come with stiffer firing pin springs.

Why? To avoid slam fires from the slide coming forward hard.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom