• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • august1410

Marcas Registradas
    Apr 10, 2009
    New Bern, NC
    I picked up some 185 grain LSWC at a gun show. Looking for a nice target load using Bullseye powder. Shooting out of a Colt Combat Commander.

I did some searching online.....found stuff all over the map......the Lee book I have doesn't have a 185 grain listing for Bullseye.

Figured I'd ask the gurus.

Thanks in advance.

byf43

SCSC Life/NRA Patron Life
    Joe,

From my hardcast reloading book -

185 grain hardcast LSWC

Bullseye powder
    Starting load: 4.0 gr. . . . . . Velocity: 827 fps
    Maximum load: 5.0 grains. . . . . Velocity: 952 fps
    Maximum energy at maximum load: 372 fpe

Watch for signs of pressure as you get near the top.

august1410

Marcas Registradas
    Apr 10, 2009
    New Bern, NC
    Joe,

From my hardcast reloading book -

185 grain hardcast LSWC
    Bullseye powder
    Starting load: 4.0 gr. . . . . . Velocity: 827 fps
    Maximum load: 5.0 grains. . . . . Velocity: 952 fps
    Maximum energy at maximum load: 372 fpe

Watch for signs of pressure as you get near the top.

I'll probably keep it more toward the low end. It's a simple target load and as long as it cycles the pistol, I'm fine. There were some loads as low as 3.6 grains, but I have a feeling they won't cycle the action of my pistol. I had that issue with another load I worked up a while back.

Thanks!

august1410

Marcas Registradas
    Apr 10, 2009
    New Bern, NC
    I got the gun second hand. I don't even know how many owners it had before me. There are a number of aftermarket parts on it, so I don't even know if the recoil spring is original or what the weight of it is.

byf43

I got the gun second hand. I don't even know how many owners it had before me. There are a number of aftermarket parts on it, so I don't even know if the recoil spring is original or what the weight of it is.

:thumbsup:

Depending on how much you shoot it, and what you shoot....... you might want to look at Brownell's or elsewhere, and find a new recoil spring for it.
    A new firing pin spring wouldn't hurt, either.

I think I've got almost 4,500 rounds on the recoil spring that's in my GC.

I like to change them about every 5,000 rounds.

My mainspring and trigger spring ("Tri-spring") are still original, though.

august1410

Marcas Registradas
    Apr 10, 2009
    New Bern, NC

Depending on how much you shoot it, and what you shoot....... you might want to look at Brownell's or elsewhere, and find a new recoil spring for it.
    A new firing pin spring wouldn't hurt, either.

I think I've got almost 4,500 rounds on the recoil spring that's in my GC.

I like to change them about every 5,000 rounds.

My mainspring and trigger spring ("Tri-spring") are still original, though.

stu929

M1 Addict
    Jan 2, 2012
    Hagerstown
    i wish I could find bulleye to try.

I have been using Unique, a little dirty but as long as they aren't powder puff loads it burns a lot cleaner when the charge goes up a little.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    IF you've got a stout recoil spring in that 1911, it may not cycle the bunny fart loads.

I've got an 18.5 lb spring in my Gold Cup and have a 22 lb spring in my 'kit' for stout/hardball loads.

The USPSA world is going to LIGHT springs even with major loads.

10 - 14 pound.

byf43

The USPSA world is going to LIGHT springs even with major loads.

10 - 14 pound.

My 'factory' Gold Cup recoil spring was 14 or 15 lbs. (14, I think!)

Others might use a light spring for 'major' loads, and I know that the 'ceiling' for major is lower than it was when I was shooting, but, my GC won't see a light recoil spring for any of my loads.
    I'm not running the risk of battering that frame.

That Wolfe 18.5 lb recoil spring is just perfect for my 200 gr LSWC hardcast loads.
    ZERO FTF/FTE/FTF.
    It runs like a well-tuned machine. :thumbsup:

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    It seems the lighter springs reduce the muzzle flip. The discussion I saw hinged on shooting double taps and whether your second shot went higher or lower than the first.

And they ARE using a shock buffer to reduce frame battering.

byf43

It seems the lighter springs reduce the muzzle flip. The discussion I saw hinged on shooting double taps and whether your second shot went higher or lower than the first.

And they ARE using a shock buffer to reduce frame battering.

Interesting.

I've thought about using shok-buffs, but, never have. Haven't needed 'em, yet.
    I can't guess how many rounds have been through my GC. :shrug:

I bought 4 of the 18.5 lb springs, and two 22 lb springs.

I have one of the lighter springs left and both 22 lb springs.
    I TRY to change springs around 5k rounds, but, I forget how many are on this one.
    Getting older. Too many other things on my mind.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Recoil springs are inexpensive enough that any time you happen to think about , go ahead and replace.and replacing the firing pin spring at the same time is a good idea.

There is a theory that more stress is placed upon the bbl feet by a powerful spring , than placed upon the frame in the backwards movement , and the greater relevence in retarding slide velocity is the mainspring (aka hammer spring ). I only lasted a year in Engineering School , so I'm just throwing it out there. The origional circa 1911 specs had 14lb recoil spring , and I don't recall offhand the mainspring , but it was a cpl pounds heavier than common today.

But anyway , for Joe , start low 4's , and work Down *in your gun, in your hands* checking for reliability and accuracy .

w2kbr

MSI EM, NRA LM, SAF, AAFG
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 13, 2009
    Severn 21144
    Regarding Recipes, 1911, and springs....... I have a 1911, in 9MM. The slide has a full length mount, upon which sits a red dot scope (add 8-9 ozs to the slide)
    Commercial ammo will cycle the piece ok, but will not keep the slide open on the last shot.
    Enter Reloads. 3.5 CLAYS under 115 BERRY jacketed, will not cycle the piece at all.
    Step one. Dropped down to 9# spring. Result is sporadic. Now I suppose I could continue to use Comm 9MM, when it's available, but it pains me to know I got all I need to reload 9MM, but need a better load.
    Any suggestions??
    Thanks
    R

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Presuming that " have supplys to reload 9mm " means sticking with Clays and 115gr Berry's .
    Increase 0.1gr at a time , until reliable functioning.

If you have additional component options , try slower powders , heavier bullets.

w2kbr

MSI EM, NRA LM, SAF, AAFG
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 13, 2009
    Severn 21144
    Thanks for the suggestions. I'll run a handful or so with slower powder.....and if necessary move to a bit heavier bullet.. let you know how it goes....

Thanks
    R

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    A lighter recoil spring is typically used eith heavier loads to prevent thr sights from dipping when the slide returns ti battery. This allows for faster followup shots. The shooter and gun determine precisely which spring works. I use as low as 12-13 pounds with 895 fps 230 grain loads to keep thr gun running flat, but there is more to it than just the recoil spring.

August, I use 4.2-4.4 grains (depends on what the powder measure is throwing on a reloading day) of Bullseye using 185 and 200 grain lead or jacketed SWC. Out of my 5" guns that gives me about 725 - 750 fps. You'll get about the same, a little less perhaps. I shoot this in my steel gun and it holds less than 2" at 25 yards in an accurized gun.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    I did some more reading on the lighter springs.

A heavier spring reduces the slide battering the frame on recoil, but then slams the slide back into battery with a lot of force. Lighter spring reduces THIS battering.

And you can use a shock buffer to fix the problem of the slide in recoil, but going back into battery, you need the metal to metal contact.

sgt23preston

USMC LLA. NRA Life Member
    May 19, 2011
    Perry Hall
    Sgt Preston here...

Make sure that you test fire 20 - 25 rounds of your new load...

I know too well...

I had a load that cycled my 1911 perfectly...

Then I stepped up & bought a "better gun" a S&W PC945...

The new gun was great but it was slightly tighter &

my old "bullseye load" wouldn't cycle the new gun...

And I had to take apart 700+ rounds & re-do them...

Live & learn...

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom