• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    Alright, I think a 1911 is going to be my September purchase and my final handgun purchase prior to SB281 taking effect.

How much different is a 1911 versus a Sig P220? Would they overlap enough that a 1911 would not be worth the money?

My price range will probably be between $1,000 and $1,500. Wish I could swing a Wilson Combat, but that is out of the budget. Been looking at a Sig Sauer Tactical, but would like to get suggestions on others that I should take a look at.

Thanks, and thanks for all the other help on all the other handguns I have asked about.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    HUGE mechanical difference. Single action versus da/sa.
    Apples and oranges. To have both wouldn't be unusual. Same caliber, different guns.
    $1,000 buys a nice 1911 tho.

IF you don't have a 1911, just get one. Like others have said before, every man should have at least one 1911.

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    I have a sw 1911ta. love it. right on your price range. there are plenty 1911.

do a search in the forum and you'll probably find many reviews.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    I have a sw 1911ta. love it. right on your price range. there are plenty 1911.

do a search in the forum and you'll probably find many reviews.

Yeah, somebody started a thread like this a week or two ago, and it quickly got derailed.

Right now, I am debating between a Sig and Colt 1911. The Colts look really nice and fall at around $1,200. The Sig is in about the same price range.

I handled a S&W pistol that my brother has in .40 S&W, and I was less than impressed with it after handling the Sig P220.

Thought it was Xmas time when I got my DC approval. Looks like Xmas will not get here for a couple more months as I wait for my "Not Disapproved" on all these items, and then wait some more to get some ammo. Might actually be Xmas by the time I get these guns and get ammo to shoot them. Will be deep into waterfowling by then. Sheez.

BirchBrook22

Jan 4, 2013
    Yeah, somebody started a thread like this a week or two ago, and it quickly got derailed.

Right now, I am debating between a Sig and Colt 1911. The Colts look really nice and fall at around $1,200. The Sig is in about the same price range.

I handled a S&W pistol that my brother has in .40 S&W, and I was less than impressed with it after handling the Sig P220.

Thought it was Xmas time when I got my DC approval. Looks like Xmas will not get here for a couple more months as I wait for my "Not Disapproved" on all these items, and then wait some more to get some ammo. Might actually be Xmas by the time I get these guns and get ammo to shoot them. Will be deep into waterfowling by then. Sheez.

Waiting on a Colt now - day 54. Something about the original...

Infantry23

Ultimate Member
    Dec 9, 2012
    Hagerstown
    Ok, I'm a poor man so I can't speak to the higher end models, which I am sure are nice.... but I do love my Rock Island ($425) very much. Hands down my favorite gun. Never FTF / FTE, eats anything, etc. I know it's not what you're looking for necessarily but for anyone parousing this thread and wants a cheaper alternative, I think it's a great little piece.

Maybe one day I'll be in the market for a higher-end 1911!

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Ok, I'm a poor man so I can't speak to the higher end models, which I am sure are nice.... but I do love my Rock Island ($425) very much. Hands down my favorite gun. Never FTF / FTE, eats anything, etc. I know it's not what you're looking for necessarily but for anyone parousing this thread and wants a cheaper alternative, I think it's a great little piece.

Maybe one day I'll be in the market for a higher-end 1911!

"Poor" is relative. My brother in-law is looking at a Wilson Combat Full Size. When my sister told me about it, I looked it up and almost fell out of my chair when I saw the price tag. Granted, I have paid more than that for shotguns, but was just surprised that a 1911 could go for that much. Should have known better because I had already seen Larue price tags. The Wilson Combat is a really nice looking gun though. Just hard to justify the $3,500 price tag for how much, or I should say how little, I will actually use it.

Usually find myself shooting clays when I have time to shoot.

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland

I'm a sig fan but I'll go with colt. ;)

1911s are way diff than regular semi handguns.

eagle-eye78

Aug 30, 2012
    Frederick MD
    I own a Colt Commander and Sig nightmare carry (waiting on a SIG STX full size Day 58), I like both, I shoot the Sig better but that is because it has Novak night sights on it. I still prefer the colt, waiting to see if I can get one of the Wiley Clapp colt 21st commander models! But like others have said, get a 1911 everyone should own at least one.

Leviathan

Jun 14, 2012

Ha! That was my thread & it went behind the yellow line fast. But I know what you mean, something about that 1911 as that last FU to Sb281 that would feel great. :thumbsup: I wish I had more to allocate to that fund to open up more options but too many other loose ends to tie up on other projects before Oct. Good luck with your hunt.

GoGoGadget

Deplorable Member
    Mar 10, 2011
    A.A.Co. and Carteret Co. NC
    "Poor" is relative. My brother in-law is looking at a Wilson Combat Full Size. When my sister told me about it, I looked it up and almost fell out of my chair when I saw the price tag. Granted, I have paid more than that for shotguns, but was just surprised that a 1911 could go for that much. Should have known better because I had already seen Larue price tags. The Wilson Combat is a really nice looking gun though. Just hard to justify the $3,500 price tag for how much, or I should say how little, I will actually use it.

Usually find myself shooting clays when I have time to shoot.

I dont have one. But I think if you ask people who own Wilson Combat if they are worth the hefty price, they will say, "Yes!".

I'm waiting on a Springfield loaded parkerized myself. I chose the Springer because:
    - it was in stock at an IP
    - it's got the traditional look that I wanted
    - I couldn't find a Colt locally at the time. If I did, I prolly would have gone Colt.

Only day 22 so I have a ways to go...

I've got a P220, I've got 1911s. Apples and oranges, althought the P220 is my favorite .45 aside from the 1911s. Sky's the limit with 1911s, as I'm sure you know. I paid Lou $500 for my lightly-used ex-LE P220, but you can go to more than $1K with new P220s, also. P220 is extremely reliable and accurate, but the trigger, while better than any striker-fired pistol I've tried, isn't up to a good 1911. In the range of overlap, I like my S&W 1911 E very much, and it's just as reliable as the P220. Just depends on what you like. I like both.

BenL

John Galt Speaking.
    You're in an "in between" price range; you could either go with a nicer production from Colt, Kimber, or SA, or for a little more, go with a Les Baer. I have a Kimber Gold Match Stainless that has been very reliable and accurate for ~18,000 rounds. That being said, it would be worthwhile to consider saving a little longer and going with the Baer. I'd love to have a Monolith Heavyweight, but don't think it's in the cards before 10/1.

Monolith-Heavyweight.jpg

Mt Airy

Ultimate Member
    Nov 28, 2010
    Frederick county
    You're in an "in between" price range; you could either go with a nicer production from Colt, Kimber, or SA, or for a little more, go with a Les Baer. I have a Kimber Gold Match Stainless that has been very reliable and accurate for ~18,000 rounds. That being said, it would be worthwhile to consider saving a little longer and going with the Baer. I'd love to have a Monolith Heavyweight, but don't think it's in the cards before 10/1.

Monolith-Heavyweight.jpg

I have one .It is a great pistol .

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    I dont have one. But I think if you ask people who own Wilson Combat if they are worth the hefty price, they will say, "Yes!".

I'm waiting on a Springfield loaded parkerized myself. I chose the Springer because:
    - it was in stock at an IP
    - it's got the traditional look that I wanted
    - I couldn't find a Colt locally at the time. If I did, I prolly would have gone Colt.

Only day 22 so I have a ways to go...

I would hope they would answer "Yes". Heck, anybody that spends that kind of money on anything had better answer that it was worth it.

Thing is, price/benefit is dependent upon a lot of things. To me, it just is not there because I will not shoot the 1911 that much. A lot of people think $5k for a shotgun is nuts, but to me it is worth it. A lot of people think $7k for a bicycle is nuts, but for me it is worth it. It all depends on what you are into and how much money you have. If this wasn't going to be my 10th gun in 3 or 4 months and I was going to shoot it a good amount, I might be able to justify the $3,500 price tag for the Wilson Combat and have my wife be alright with it. Thing is, funds are not unlimited. My wife and I actually discussed that, and if we win the lottery between now and October 1 I will buy one of every handgun, in every cartridge offered, that are made by the manufacturers I like.

Since we have not won the lottery yet, I have to rein in spending somewhere. Too many "assault weapons" and handguns out there to be able to afford one of everything. Heck, had to hold off on adding to my chainsaw collection because of SB281.

JCarlton81

Oct 13, 2012
    Severn
    If you are set on Colt or SIG, I would look at what you want the gun to be. I own 9 1911s including a SIG stainless and a Colt Rail Gun. Personally, I think that the SIG is one of the best handling pistols I have. I shoot it as well as much more expensive models, and highly recommend it to friends. I bought the Rail Gun to own "an original" and for the most part it just sits in the safe. So if you want a shooter go with a SIG or if you want a safe queen, the Colt looks really nice.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    SIGs are not as perfect as the price tag reflects. Nor are Colts. If I had the choice e between the 2 I pick Ct. There's better workmanship in a Colt. I work on tons of 1911s and I'm conveying my experience.

Not sure which S&W 1911 you handled or if someone messed with it but a S&W 1911 is about the nicest featured and reliable 1911 out of the box for the price. It does use a non standard slide and extractor though.

For a lower price range I suggest Ruger or Remington.

For a tad bit more money you could get a Led Baker and you'll never want anything else but a Baer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    BuffaloBrent

Latest threads

Top Bottom