• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Combloc

Stop Negassing me!!!!!
    Nov 10, 2010
    In a House
    A man I'm doing Business with in France sent this picture to me. He's a Laotian fighting for the French. Notice that his scope has the early type mount and rubber eyecup and you can clearly see the leather scope case slung over his shoulder.

If only these things could talk:

Last edited:

Combloc

Stop Negassing me!!!!!
    Nov 10, 2010
    In a House
    If anyone had told me I'd be so intensely interested in French automatics just a few years ago, I would have laughed at them. I have NO idea why I'm so fascinated but I am.

mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    Welcome to the party! I've felt like I was alone in the wilderness for so long. Started with the big import of 49/56s by Century and snowballed from there. The best shooter of my four 49s and a lone 44 is a Syrian Export 49 with a mildly pitted pore (Syrian ammo is not the greatest to be sure).

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    A man I'm doing Business with in France sent this picture to me. He's a Laotian fighting for the French. Notice that his scope has the early type mount and rubber eyecup and you can clearly see the leather scope case slung over his shoulder.

If only these things could talk:

Fantastic post. Thank you Combloc.

A 49/56 is something I plan to add to my collection. Having real D.I. examples helps show students what a real D.I. operating system looks like. They have gotten quite pricey and collectible.

mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    Vogt had an auction over the weekend in Texas that featured a neat group of MAS 44/49s. Included a 49/56 that still had the muzzle "mummy wrapped" after arsenal re-work and storage (sold for $960 OTD). MAS 44/49 prices were in the $1200-1300 OTD range. There was even a nice pre-war MAS 36 along with a large bunch of Berthiers. Someone had a nice French rifle collection consigned.

Combloc

Stop Negassing me!!!!!
    Nov 10, 2010
    In a House
    I checked that out. Someone got some smoking deals!! The 44 Serial N° 6273 must be at the very end of production.

Sirex

Powered by natural gas
    Oct 30, 2010
    Westminster, MD
    Those are cool, I always wanted one, but one of the rechambered ones in 7.62x51. Until I read the horror stories about the gunsmithing at Century. I just didn't want to hunt for another rifle caliber. But, these are really interesting guns.

Michigander08

ridiculous and psychotic
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2017
    Indochina (Cambodia, Lao, and Vietnam) people have served in the French force.

sxqbr9ch57x71.jpg

Vietnamese conscripts for France in the first World War. They fought in the Somme, Balkans and the Middle East​

(Reddit)

What kind of rifles are those?

Michigander08

ridiculous and psychotic
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2017
    Some local kids to fight against communists somewhere in Vietnam in 1954. I don't think they survived.

vietnam-ken-burns-sochurek-02.jpg

Trepang

Ultimate Member
    Dec 10, 2015
    Southern Illinois
    Very cool pictures - love seeing stuff like that.

If you would have told me a pre-occupation French rifle would become one of my favorite MilSurps, I’d have laughed….

Both pre-German invasion MAS-36’s. A 1939 and early 1940. One with mismatched bolt, the other all matching.

My favorite WWII gun to shoot.
    IMG_3150.jpeg

Combloc

Stop Negassing me!!!!!
    Nov 10, 2010
    In a House
    Shout-out to Combloc on another excellent military manual translation. You did a fantastic job and the fold-outs are well done. Thanks for your efforts!

I'm happy you are satisfied sir. We had to trash most of the first batch of those manuals when we inadvertently mounted a bunch the fold-outs incorrectly. There is definitely a learning curve to putting this stuff together. Proper translation, scrutinizing details in the writing process, trying to get the most out of the original less than stellar pictures, a myriad of decisions about tiny aesthetic details, deciding whether to leave original errors in or correct them, printing, assembly, and things I've not even mentioned.....it's a lot of work reproducing these manuals and then I sell them as cheaply as I can. However, I enjoy doing it.

Last edited:

calicojack

American Sporting Rifle
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2018
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    I'm happy you are satisfied sir. We had to trash most of the first batch of those manuals when we inadvertently mounted a bunch the fold-outs incorrectly. There is definitely a learning curve to putting this stuff together. Proper translation, scrutinizing details in the writing process, trying to get the most out of the original less than stellar pictures, a myriad of decisions about tiny aesthetic details, deciding whether to leave original errors in or correct them, printing, assembly, and things I've not even mentioned.....it's a lot of work reproducing these manuals and then I sell them as cheaply as I can. However, I enjoy doing it.

I am very happy with my Model 1950 manual and tech guide. As a matter of fact I am going to try and get manuals and guides for all my C&R guns where possible.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom