• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MY225

Victoria Vel Servitus
    Jan 8, 2010
    As I look on this site, I see some down right good looking AR's and other fine firearms. I mean, clean looking as new I want it good looking. How you do it? Mine started out as such, but in a very short time, BAM. I'm rolling/running/on the ground in the mud, rain, snow, dirt, hot sun, grass, rocky, sand. ALL are beat-up and painted. The AK's look to be from some Middle Eastern shit hole. All run like, like tops, do what they should. My hand guns are even...well you get the picture.

How do you folks do it?

mopar92

Official MDS Court Jester
    May 5, 2011
    Taneytown
    Strict cleaning regimen. My ARs insides are spotless. The outside functional parts are clean. Then I usually guilt trip myself into cleaning the rest.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    Range toys are supposed to look brand new IMO, the guns you train with - look like hell but run perfectly, they have scratches, gouges - if they don't, your not training hard enough. :D

Now, you can minimize the appearance of those, my AR - they're there, but they don't jump out at you, you have to look for them.

Darkemp

Ultimate Member
    Aug 18, 2009
    Marylandistan
    Strict cleaning/lubrication regimen. Lubing even when you haven't shot them, and touch up on finish as needed with the right stuff. My AR is a safe queen range toy, she never gets dirty enough to show her miles. No different in principle than maintaining a car, boat, or other hobby.

jawn

YOU TROLLIN!
    Feb 10, 2011
    INTARWEB
    If my BCG gets any more carbon on it, it's going to start pooping diamonds.

As some of my buddy's may attest, I run my guns pretty filthy most of the time.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    As I look on this site, I see some down right good looking AR's and other fine firearms. I mean, clean looking as new I want it good looking. How you do it? Mine started out as such, but in a very short time, BAM. I'm rolling/running/on the ground in the mud, rain, snow, dirt, hot sun, grass, rocky, sand. ALL are beat-up and painted. The AK's look to be from some Middle Eastern shit hole. All run like, like tops, do what they should. My hand guns are even...well you get the picture.

How do you folks do it?

A LARGE amount of Gun Owners are just hobbyists. The own guns but never use them to their full limits.

I take pictures of mine when I just finish them but after use they are not so pretty, it happens when you use, carry and dont baby them.

august1410

Marcas Registradas
    Apr 10, 2009
    New Bern, NC
    Pretty guns you post pictures of. Hard used guns you rely on.

I see so many guns on, for example, the S&W Forum that are show pieces. I bought mine to shoot it. It's got holster wear, a turn ring on the cylinder and dirty grips. I wipe it down because I'm a little OCD.

It is what it is. A carry gun.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    I won't buy a gun if I'm too worried about it looking like it gets used.

I WANT people to look at my firearms and KNOW they get run, and run hard.

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    Haha pokin fun at the more recreational folks that view their guns as toys for a hobby instead of tools for a job? I'd also like to see a thread of guns that have earned their keep. The work guns(especially ar's) tend to have more thought put in to them and their users value quality. Good to have you back.

august1410

Marcas Registradas
    Apr 10, 2009
    New Bern, NC
    Haha pokin fun at the more recreational folks that view their guns as toys for a hobby instead of tools for a job? I'd also like to see a thread of guns that have earned their keep. The work guns(especially ar's) tend to have more thought put in to them and their users value quality. Good to have you back.

I have a 20ga Mossberg 500 that I can't even get the barrel nut to come off. The stock is beat to hell, the reciever and barrel are scratched to hell, it has a big old C-Lect Choke on the end......I don't even want to know what the internals look like. I shoot it full of Ballistol, wipe it clean, and oil the parts I can get to.

Works like a charm, and it's 35 years old.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    If my BCG gets any more carbon on it, it's going to start pooping diamonds.

:lol: :lol2:

If/when it does start crapping diamonds and brass, you have a standing invite to shoot with me. ;)

I'll clean the innards of my guns, but I'm not as obsessed with the cosmetic appeal of my firearms anymore. They're tools, tools should like they get used.

Kilroy

Ultimate Member
    Jul 27, 2011
    My rifle is cerakoted, so not too much wear there. My pistol gets shot pretty often, but doesn't have too much wear. I try to keep my things nice, so my pistol and rifle will probably still look good 5 years from now.
    I bet if we did a poll, the people with beat up guns have never had wax touch their car's paint.

august1410

Marcas Registradas
    Apr 10, 2009
    New Bern, NC
    My rifle is cerakoted, so not too much wear there. My pistol gets shot pretty often, but doesn't have too much wear. I try to keep my things nice, so my pistol and rifle will probably still look good 5 years from now.
    I bet if we did a poll, the people with beat up guns have never had wax touch their car's paint.

I drive a 15 year old Chrysler LHS. Wax would probably eat right through the paint at this point.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    Kilroy - my daily driver, you'd be spot-on there, but who'd wax a '94 Grand Marquis they got for $600??? Especially with the paint peeling off, bad re-spray.

Now the other vehicles I have, the '97 Dakota for example, got a new engine less than 3 years ago, got a new trans. less than a month ago, just had the front bumper replaced because the chrome was pitting, aftermarket hood, tail-lights, 3rd brake light, full exhaust (headers to dual exit tips) and a few other things done.

So I could present myself as a interesting counter-point to your post, I don't some things looking like they get used, but I don't let other things slide on their up-keep.

jawn

YOU TROLLIN!
    Feb 10, 2011
    INTARWEB

Meh, I figure in 5 years I'll need new barrels for my rifles.

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008

i think the OP wants to see more pictures like this......
    dakar-2_1[1].jpg

Instead of thissss..............
    poserh[1].jpg

...only with guns instead of cars.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads