• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • HeatSeeker

Ultimate Member
    Jun 18, 2012
    Maryland
    I guess I will go ahead and open myself up to attack, but I have said it before. I have no problem with a person needing some hands on training before owning a firearm. We are talking about guns....not chainsaws, lawnmowers, toaster ovens. I dont give a damn if someone knows how to handle a chainsaw before purchase, but would like for someone to know how to handle a firearm before purchasing. Sure this guy would still be an idiot, but maybe he would have learned to not put a loaded magazine in the gun before pulling back the slide to cut the freakin zip tie off under the table in Hooters if he had some hands on training. This has nothing to do with our rights to protect ourselves it is about knowledge of firearm handling and safety for people that plan to own one. Not really sure what the answer is?????

virtus

Ultimate Member
    Aug 11, 2010
    Anyone else notice the amount of new guys posting up lately about the need for mandatory training? :tinfoil:

tsmith1499

Poor C&R Collector
    Jan 10, 2012
    Southern Mount Airy, Md.
    I guess I will go ahead and open myself up to attack, but I have said it before. I have no problem with a person needing some hands on training before owning a firearm. We are talking about guns....not chainsaws, lawnmowers, toaster ovens. I dont give a damn if someone knows how to handle a chainsaw before purchase, but would like for someone to know how to handle a firearm before purchasing. Sure this guy would still be an idiot, but maybe he would have learned to not put a loaded magazine in the gun before pulling back the slide to cut the freakin zip tie off under the table in Hooters if he had some hands on training. This has nothing to do with our rights to protect ourselves it is about knowledge of firearm handling and safety for people that plan to own one. Not really sure what the answer is?????

The problem is that no amount of training and education is going to give someone COMMON SENSE. This is what this person was totally lacking. My wife even knows better than to do something THAT stupid. Thoses were HER exact words after I told her about this fiasco. She also shoots, but not as often as I do. But she HAS common sense.

booker

Apr 5, 2008
    Baltimore
    How is firearm knowledge different than any other kind involving a hazardous activity?

Some hazardous activities can only impact the user (such as not wearing a seat belt, or playing Five-Finger Fillet, although some argue that not wearing seat belts puts strain on healthcare and insurance systems by producing avoidable injuries). Some can impact others (ex, handling firearms on a cold range or building a camp fire in a drought-affected forest).

Is that an important or material distinction? Some say yes, some say no. Perhaps, like most things, it depends.

<<BREAK BREAK>>

The personal attacks launched in the latter pages of this thread are pretty disturbing to me.

Throwing labels and names at people for one or two statements that aren't even necessarily their personal opinions, rather part of a discussion, and immediately dismissing their entire viewpoint as a result is a direct byproduct of parochial group-think. Those same people wonder why Congressmen and other people of influence don't listen, don't have the same clearly logical thought-process, and don't come to the same clearly obvious conclusions.

It's a self-licking ice cream cone, and until the arguments are firmed up to not require a personal belief to remain valid, the gun control lobby will enjoy a steady, bloody supply of AD/ND/gun-crime victims to leverage in support of their agenda.

Chasbo00

Jun 30, 2012
    Northern VA
    All this talk about training and we don't really know whether a lack of training was even a cause factor here. Maybe he knew how to safely reload his pistol but just failed to do so for reasons not related to a skill or knowledge deficiency. He displayed incredibly poor judgment by attempting to reload his pistol in a crowded restaurant, and this affected the severity of this event by resulting in an injury to another person. However, his attempt to reload in a restaurant probably did not directly contribute to the gun's unintentional discharge. So what is really the case here? Is it a knowledge and skill deficiency, or is it an attitudinal problem? Perhaps it's some of both.

Docster

Ultimate Member
    Jul 19, 2010
    All this talk about training and we don't really know whether a lack of training was even a cause factor here. Maybe he knew how to safely reload his pistol but just failed to do so for reasons not related to a skill or knowledge deficiency. He displayed incredibly poor judgment by attempting to reload his pistol in a crowded restaurant, and this affected the severity of this event by resulting in an injury to another person. However, his attempt to reload in a restaurant probably did not directly contribute to the gun's unintentional discharge. So what is really the case here? Is it a knowledge or skill deficiency, or is it an attitudinal problem? Perhaps it's some of both.

It's a habit of all of us on this forum to create a lot of opinions and some firm declarations, based on very limited facts.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    The personal attacks launched in the latter pages of this thread are pretty disturbing to me.

Throwing labels and names at people for one or two statements that aren't even necessarily their personal opinions, rather part of a discussion, and immediately dismissing their entire viewpoint as a result is a direct byproduct of parochial group-think. Those same people wonder why Congressmen and other people of influence don't listen, don't have the same clearly logical thought-process, and don't come to the same clearly obvious conclusions.

I'm not sure who your post was aimed at. I don't issue personal; attacks on anyone here. That said, if you find a post offensive use the "report" button in the left hand margin. The mods here are amongst the fairest and most even handed I have encounter on the many forums I have frequented.

HeatSeeker

Ultimate Member
    Jun 18, 2012
    Maryland
    I don't necassarily agree with mandatory training, but if you were required to take Basic Pistol to own or carry, would you do it? I would. Some states require this for CCP. As I said before, I don't know what the answer is, but wish there was some way to keep guns out of the hands of idiots like this guy. I am still in the dark about the cash and carry purchase at gun shows. I have never purchased at a show. How do they get around the background check and 7 day wait?

And as for the Lib comment....you take that back :nono:

HeatSeeker

Ultimate Member
    Jun 18, 2012
    Maryland
    All this talk about training and we don't really know whether a lack of training was even a cause factor here. Maybe he knew how to safely reload his pistol but just failed to do so for reasons not related to a skill or knowledge deficiency. He displayed incredibly poor judgment by attempting to reload his pistol in a crowded restaurant, and this affected the severity of this event by resulting in an injury to another person. However, his attempt to reload in a restaurant probably did not directly contribute to the gun's unintentional discharge. So what is really the case here? Is it a knowledge and skill deficiency, or is it an attitudinal problem? Perhaps it's some of both.
    It would seem to me that he had no idea that after he inserted a loaded magazine and pulled the slide back that pulling the trigger was not going to result in a dry fire.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    We are speaking about FTF sales in VA. MD does not allow it.

In VA, for a FTF sale, no wait, no NICS check. Seller is required to ascertain buyer is not a prohibited buyer and is a VA resident.

Last edited:

booker

Apr 5, 2008
    Baltimore
    Why would someone want to dry fire their pistol after inserting a loaded magazine?

Not to mention, an unloaded magazine wouldn't have allowed the slide to go into battery without him first depressing the slide stop/release.

It could be that he was trying to dry fire, and the gun had a magazine/trigger disconnect? So he felt he had to insert a magazine, and instead of inserting an empty one, he inserted a source of ammunition.

Norton

NRA Endowment Member, Rifleman
    Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    Not to mention, I thought this gun was a revolver.......

Would be hard to insert a magazine into any revolver I've ever seen.

Chasbo00

Jun 30, 2012
    Northern VA
    Not to mention, an unloaded magazine wouldn't have allowed the slide to go into battery without him first depressing the slide stop/release.

It could be that he was trying to dry fire, and the gun had a magazine/trigger disconnect? So he felt he had to insert a magazine, and instead of inserting an empty one, he inserted a source of ammunition.

The press articles say he was attempting to reload his pistol when it fired unintentionally. This suggests to me that his pistol was not one he had just bought at the gun show, but rather one he was already carrying. He was required to unload it and have it "zip-tied" to get into the gun show. I seriously doubt he was trying to dry fire the pistol.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    jlng1984